User Tag List

Page 62 of 175 FirstFirst ... 525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

One of my favorite watches ever Bill. You deserve it man. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@WMdeR nice Speedmaster! How do you like the NATO strap with yours? I got one with mine (see a few posts above yours) but have still been rocking the bracelet exclusively so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    @WMdeR nice Speedmaster! How do you like the NATO strap with yours? I got one with mine (see a few posts above yours) but have still been rocking the bracelet exclusively so far.
    The watch is light enough that a strap works well. I prefer a bracelet for chunkier/heavier watches. It is also less noticeable, which is a benefit in working meetings, and, I suppose, on the mean streets of suburban Colorado. I switched from a lovely Pelican to a (also practical and nice-writing, but decidedly understated matte black) Lamy after I started getting comments about my fancy.pen. This watch does not draw the eye in a work setting with a strap..

Best Regards,

Will

William M. deRosset
    Fort Collins CO USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch repairer here. If you are asking about that RGM, that's probaly a ETA movement. Anything around -2 seconds per day to +6 seconds per day should be the norm even without a chronometer certificate.
    Angel Jauregui

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys tapped into my other big passion that's severely cut my bike fund:IMG_2695.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang, those are good looking Rolex. Especially appreciate that you do not baby them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as Rolex goes, those are three very, very good ones to own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speedmaster doesn't get much time since this one came to be. Feels just right.
    IMG_8050.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
    IMG_8050.jpg
    Swanky, dig it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father and uncles always wear Rolex so it is ingrained in my soul. Most had stainless steel versions and then on their 40th birthdays received two-tone gold/steel form their respective spouses. My older brother was not really into watches until he got out of medical school, paid off his loans, and could afford them so his desire/need was delayed. He finally went with Omega. My younger brother went with Tag Heuer after he paid off his law school loans.

In the mid-90s I was living in NYC and asked my father for the Rolex Air King (not pictured) my mother gave him when they were married (late 60s) and both just finished medical school. The bracelet had broken, was lost, and replaced with something not original. The crystal was cracked. The watch did not work. My parents were no longer married. I told him I would take it to the Rolex Corporate Service Center on 5th Avenue. Of course, the service people looked at me, in my mid-20s, and assumed the battered watch was fake and/or stolen. I told them not to be rude, look at the engraving on the back (my parent's wedding date), and to call my father at the hospital and ask him or call my retired mother in NJ and ask her about the story/provenance. They told me to wait and then came back about 20 minutes later. They apologized and said it was real, and they would make sure it was restored as-if new, and would call me in 5-6 weeks.

I waited, got the call from Rolex service, went to pick it up, paid for it, and brought it home. I saw my father later in the week and he was so amazed at how good it looked he wanted it back. I said, "But, you and Mom have been divorced 10 years so why do you care about this watch anymore". You can imagine how the rest of that conversation went. My father took the watch back and did not speak to me for a few weeks because he was so mad. He got over being mad, paid me back for the service, and said go get your own and maybe one day I will give this to you. So that is what I did.

I went to Tourneau on Madison Avenue (across the street from the advertising agency where I worked) and purchased a new Explorer II (40mm). It was my everyday wear from 25 until 40. I also use it on vacations or other times when I want to wear something less obviously Rolex or expensive. It came back from service and refurbishment about a year ago. I was in NYC visiting family and friends so I dropped it off at Rolex Corporate on 5th Ave and had them send it back to me in Boston after the service was completed. The white dial was the original style but they replaced it with a newer one because the luminescence material is much better now.
    Attachment 103328

For my 40th, my wife purchased this new DateJust 36mm two-tone gold/steel with white face for me (tradition in my family) because I did not like the newer and larger DateJust II. It has been my daily wear for the last several years except when I take out the Explorer II for a spin. At first I had trouble getting used to it because I work in k-12 schools but finally said what the heck you only live once.
    Attachment 103331

So, what got me thinking about all of this (besides the thread) is that Rolex has an updated version of the Air King. Not sure if I should get that for my 50th (in a few years) or ask my father again if he will give me the one my mother gave to him. I really like the new one (shown below) but having a 60s Air King that has been in my family for years would be great too.
    Attachment 103330

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That new Air-King is very nice looking in person, but the green details are very pronounced so it's not for everybody. My favorite right now is the newly updated Explorer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    That new Air-King is very nice looking in person, but the green details are very pronounced so it's not for everybody. My favorite right now is the newly updated Explorer.

I agree about the Air King but I do actually like the green and gold accents. Apparently the new Air King also has the same internal iron shielding as the Milgauss so some say it is a great way to get a Milgauss for less money (and it a better style based on personal preferences).

I really like the new Explorer (39mm) shown above in your post with the larger case and hands but it is too close in style/function to my older model Explorer II (40mm).

I know it has been trendy but I am not a fan of everything getting bigger the last few years:
    DateJust 36mm => DateJust II 41mm
    Explorer 36mm => Explorer 39mm
    Explorer II 40mm => Explorer II 42mm

I also think style and bracelet type is based very much on how old you are. My father's generation all love the jubilee bracelet but I like the oyster which is also what many friends/acquaintances around the same age as me have. After I got my Explorer II, I was amazed how over the next few years I saw some many people my age with it but most had black dials. I like white dials which is why I really want my fathers's Air King because it has a white dial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Explorer is what I originally set out for. I don't like the larger size of the updated model. This purchase had to be a new watch because it marks an occasion and I'm very glad I didn't buy used.
    The Oyster Perpetual 36mm, to me, is more of an updated Explorer than the new Explorer. It has the 369 dial (just not the mercedes hands) and the far better bracelet and clasp than older explorers. It has few polished features which keeps it below the radar. For me its an Explorer in the proper size with a rad blue dial. This one is +1 or 2 seconds per MONTH. I'm mystified each time I check in on the accuracy.

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36 Watch: 94L steel - 116

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You made a great choice.

I have always liked the simple blue dials but sometimes I get stuck in tradition.

Expanding on what I shared earlier, the generation before me, in my family, had:
    - Stainless steel DateJust (Oyster Perpetual) 36mm with silver face and jubilee bracelet (before 40)
    - Two Tone Steel/Gold DateJust (Oyster Perpetual) 36mm with gold face and jubilee bracelet (after 40)

I like white dials and oyster bracelets. My wife and I do not have kids so I have been told I need to have enough stainless steel Rolex watches to give all of our nephews (3 as of now) by the time they graduate college. Thankfully, I have about 8 more years before the first one graduates. My wife's jewelry goes to nieces as they get married.

IMG_8050.jpg
    An Explorer is what I originally set out for. I don't like the larger size of the updated model. This purchase had to be a new watch because it marks an occasion and I'm very glad I didn't buy used.
    The Oyster Perpetual 36mm, to me, is more of an updated Explorer than the new Explorer. It has the 369 dial (just not the mercedes hands) and the far better bracelet and clasp than older explorers. It has few polished features which keeps it below the radar. For me its an Explorer in the proper size with a rad blue dial. This one is +1 or 2 seconds per MONTH. I'm mystified each time I check in on the accuracy.

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36 Watch: 94L steel - 116

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that new explorer is the business. it's moved to the top of the "must have" list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    that new explorer is the business. it's moved to the top of the "must have" list.
    While not everyone loves the updated size, I think 39mm is pretty much perfect for a "sport" model watch. It's extremely comfortable and the details/construction/etc., not surprisingly, are on point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great stories and great pieces here...

If anyone tires of something interesting, ping me. I picked up a Hamilton Officer here a number of years back for my son. He LOVES it and wears it every day. He's looking for something a little dressier now and as much as I'm telling him he's nuts and that he already has something terrific, I keep watching Watchuseek hoping for something interesting to pop-up at a good price. I figure this place treated me well before and clearly some of you folks have exceptional taste and move through some interesting inventory, so hope it's not out of line to make this pitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Dang, those are good looking Rolex. Especially appreciate that you do not baby them.
    Much appreciated! Yes, I believe they are all well made tools that should be worn. The first few scratches hurt the most... afterward they take on a weathered appearance that I actually prefer.

As far as Rolex goes, those are three very, very good ones to own.
    Thank you sir! I rotate and enjoy them all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree again. My 40mm Explorer II is so much better than the newer bigger models. If I were going to get a black face Rolex to add to my collection, I would have a difficult time deciding between the new Air King and the new Explorer.

While not everyone loves the updated size, I think 39mm is pretty much perfect for a "sport" model watch. It's extremely comfortable and the details/construction/etc., not surprisingly, are on point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone here gotten their hands on the Seiko SLA017 "62Mas" reissue yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    laughter has no foreign accent.