User Tag List

Page 53 of 175 FirstFirst ... 434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

I like the Tudor black bays, but prefer the Pelagos (may be too bulky). I have an 1983 Tudor submariner that I like better than either.
    IMG_0199.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arcadian View Post
    I like the Tudor black bays, but prefer the Pelagos (may be too bulky). I have an 1983 Tudor submariner that I like better than either.
    IMG_0199.jpg
    That's awesome. I have a Black Bay red bezel and it's a great watch. It's still getting the majority of my wrist time when I'm not wearing my Withings. I'd love to get an older Tudor Sub, though. The Pelagos is also a very cool watch, but a different style I think. To me the Pelagos is a "modern diver" and the Black Bay is designed as a nod to the "classic divers" like your Sub. That said, in the spirit of N+1, you really should have one of each.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
    This thing is well below the price average for this thread, but the mention of Seiko as punching above its weight for its price I've seen here got me to grab this thing recently. I like it. I've never owned a watch that cost more than $80 before. I'm becoming a confirmed titanium freak!
    Which model is this? I like. Trying to dissuade myself from selling bikes/wheels to buy a Speedmaster.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I do like the snowflake hands on the newer and 70's tudors. Agreed on the Pelagos being a different beast.

I have been wearing a Omega Seamaster for about 10 years. I had to have it serviced and went back to the sub with a nato/zulu strap, and now prefer the sub. I pretty much only wear the Seamaster for Church and dressier days at work.

I dig the retro Seamasters too. Like this one.

194b6e7635448526863e5f7010d6912e.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch Arcadian, just when I had thought it was safe to put a damper on my quest for a Speedmaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Ouch Arcadian, just when I had thought it was safe to put a damper on my quest for a Speedmaster.
    This site doesn't help with squelching an itch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love that. What's the MSRP?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Did you hear that sound? That was my heart breaking. It looks like we've lost another one to the dark side. No, not the dark side of the moon Omega Speedmaster or this similar and badass new Tudor Black Bay Black. I mean the Apple Watch dark side.

Darnell Laventhrop, Curling Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    Love that. What's the MSRP?
    A bit north of $4K. Hodinkee has a nice review with pricing. Introducing: The Tudor Heritage Black Bay Dark, PVD-Coated, 41 mm, In-House, And Chronometer Certified (Official U.S. Pricing)

I think strap is the way to go...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was stoked to see those pop up on Instagram a few days ago - big Tudor fan here. The big-crown/no-guard look is so elegant imho.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another gem from Tudor: Hands-On: The Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36 (Live Pics, Thoughts, Official Pricing)

Looks like a great option for a classic sport watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes!yes!yes!

LOVE it. I have smaller wrists, and think it's fantastic that there is a 36mm watch for me to covet. Perfect size. I'll be buying one on an oyster style bracelet before too long, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like one of those classic Rolexes before they succumbed to the giant watch aesthetic.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Looks like one of those classic Rolexes before they succumbed to the giant watch aesthetic.
    They've definitely increased the size of many of their watches, but they're actually brand that's stuck to offering smaller models too. You can still get Datejusts or Oyster Perpetuals in 36 or smaller. I've gotten used to larger watches so it doesn't bother me, and I've actually come to think 39 is about the perfect size for a not too sporty, not too dressy watch. The just announced, slightly revised Rolex Explorer may now be my favorite watch around (with the exception of watches so far out of reach it's not worth considering).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the MSRP on the Tudor was more like $2500?

The 36mm kinda kills me. I was looking hard at the Black Bay a few years ago and like it. A lot. But after wearing a MKII GMT and it being too big for my small wrists, knew 36mm +/- was needed. Talked to our local Tudor shop at length and the 36mm wasn't known or on the horizon. Tried on a Yachtmaster which is the right size but at 10K too much and I didn't want a Rolex.

Ended up at the obvious place: Omega Seamaster 36.25 (which is awesome but y'all know that **).

Seeing the 36MM Tudor and it's what I'd have gotten if it existed a few years ago. No doubt.

** Find myself looking at Speedmasters to go with the Seamaster. Need to try one on but thankfully expect 40-41mm will wear too large for me and save my bank account unneeded stress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I've actually come to think 39 is about the perfect size
    I dont know if i've posted this one here, but this is probably my most worn watch, and i've got a bunch of watches. 39mm and nice thin case size. very comfortable at this size, and disappears on the wrist. it's been through hell, and looks it, but that just ads to the patina of the thing. I dont think twice about doing anything with this one on.

[IMG]IMG_0474 by Angry8cientist, on Flickr[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so many wonderful new watches....without date windows.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I thought the MSRP on the Tudor was more like $2500?

The 36mm kinda kills me. I was looking hard at the Black Bay a few years ago and like it. A lot. But after wearing a MKII GMT and it being too big for my small wrists, knew 36mm +/- was needed. Talked to our local Tudor shop at length and the 36mm wasn't known or on the horizon. Tried on a Yachtmaster which is the right size but at 10K too much and I didn't want a Rolex.

Ended up at the obvious place: Omega Seamaster 36.25 (which is awesome but y'all know that **).

Seeing the 36MM Tudor and it's what I'd have gotten if it existed a few years ago. No doubt.

** Find myself looking at Speedmasters to go with the Seamaster. Need to try one on but thankfully expect 40-41mm will wear too large for me and save my bank account unneeded stress.
    I think that's the MSRP for the 36. The larger ones are a bit more. I'm going from the Hodinkee blogs, though. My source for official pricing details doesn't have the info yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right - I was thinking about the 36mm pricing.

The Tudor that caught my eye last time in the shop was the Ranger. Its a 41mm case. If they did that one in a 36MM would seriously consider it.

Tudor is fully owned by Rolex right? They just use outsourced movements like ETA so it's not a "bargain" Rolex but rather a separate entity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Right - I was thinking about the 36mm pricing.

The Tudor that caught my eye last time in the shop was the Ranger. Its a 41mm case. If they did that one in a 36MM would seriously consider it.

Tudor is fully owned by Rolex right? They just use outsourced movements like ETA so it's not a "bargain" Rolex but rather a separate entity.
    Tudor is owned by Rolex. They started switching to in house movements last year and I believe all the new watches use those. Not that there's anything wrong with ETA movements, but even with the pre-in-house movements, Tudor was modifying them so they weren't stock. Tudor generally runs as a separate entity and has a bit more design freedom from the more traditional Rolex approach. They're a bit more playful, I think. This is why they get to do stuff like PVD coated cases and nylon straps. They also don't sweat the tiny details quite as much. Take a clasp as an example. A Tudor clasp is very solid and reliable with a firm "click" into place. A Rolex clasp, IMO, could fit in the category of things that are made better than they need to be. This is speaking in terms of the current model line and not the older, more flimsy bracelets and clasps.

So, yeah, Tudor is a distinct entity and not a "bargain" Rolex, but holding one of each in hand it is clear why they are at different price points. And that's no knock on Tudor. I think the brand is killing it and is a fantastic product for the money...modified ETA or in-house movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tnx Matt - good stuff.

I was looking at the Ranger thinking: NATO strap, nice watch, clean look. Asked the sales guy if it came in 36mm +/- and he said no. But then we talked about watches and and seemed to know quite a bit about Tudor brand and positioning.