User Tag List

Page 5 of 174 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done Dustin. That's a good looking watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a nice Hamilton -- they offer some really nice watches for the money (call a wrist watch whatever you like).

I picked up an automatic invicta diver for about a hundred bucks for a bang around watch last year. Lots of things about the watch are inferior to, say, an Omega -- in feel and, even to the naked eye and even to a non-expert observer, such as myself, in finish -- but to glance at it, it looks pretty good and the basic time keeping seems accurate (don't know about proper diving, but it's fine in a swimming pool).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rolex, IWC, Omega for riding your bike... You guys rock. My $0.02:

-Josh, the Speedy is a classic but not utterly sturdy like an Ocean Pro, for instance. However, way back then I had one of the first Speedys, First Watch Worn on the Moon, and it outlived many observed trials competitions on a Bultaco as well as Enduros; however, I take pretty good care of my present day Speedy Day-Date.

-I'd agree that an Ocean Pro Omega is as good or better than a Rolex Submariner in terms of durability, dependability and accuracy. And at a much better price. Both are very rugged watches.

-IWC and Sinn and so many others carry pretty much the same sturdy ETA movement and they are all very good watches. And all Seiko with the 5 mechanical movement are beyond great.

-Of course, the RS RGM is something else.

-However, for riding a bicycle I find all those watches heavy and big bucks to carry around in case of a spill. For riding I wear a Polar or a Timex. Or if the bicycle has a computer on the bars that's good enough for me.

-One great all-around sports watch is the Citizen Eco-Drive, specially the one with a titanium case and bracelet. It has all the advantages of the quartz movement except that you never have to change the battery (never meaning some thirty years or something.)

I must admit, though, that watching Too Tall on his Vanilla with his Omega on his wrist, or Dr. Douglas on a Herse with his Panerai or Submariner, well, we're talking something special here.
    Fit is directly proportional to fitness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default think twice

before you ride a bike wearing your fancy self winding watch.

The rotor (winding weight) in many automatic movements does not turn in a jewel. It is simply an arbored hole in the movement top plate. What this means is, basically, there's no bearing, so any shock or vibration is causing wear on the arbor, which eventually wears out, and it's an expensive fix - you have to make a bushing and press it into the main plate. See the bottom picture below.

Sometimes you can hear this when you shake the watch. The rotor "buzzes" or vibrates.

ETA 28XX movements (used in modern Omegas, Panerai, many others) have a bearing, which is OK. The Rolex movements don't.

I love mechanical watches - but I wouldn't wear a watch I cared about when cycling.

Mark Petry
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Attached Images Attached Images

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no relabels needed atmo -

XXX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good choice on the Hamilton.
    Glad you listened to me. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mr.Natchurl everytime you speak I listen. Thanks for the clues, it helps confirm my decision to find a great speedy.

Yo Rich, think I rate one those spanky RGM watches for my retirement from VSalon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The RGM

That's a great looking peice, I really like the inner 24hour track. Beautiful job!

Mark Petry
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

So I went shopping with mi madre this past weekend. She knows that I am fascinated with watches, so I took her to Tourneau to show her some things...and because I want to start looking for some 24hr dial watches. Anywho, a Hamilton Aviation QNE catches my eye. I love my Hamilton Field Officer, so I asked how much it was and was told:

"$875........

......but it's 40% off......

.....and on top of that, we're having a Hamilton sale, so it's an additional 25% off."

Wow! First thing to come to mind is "WTF kind of margin is set on these?"

Then my mom asks if I want it. I thought she was joking, but she wasn't. So, I got my b-day present early.

What I really dig is the phonetic alphabet on the back of the case. This watch is badass. Similar enough to not freak me out when I look down, but different enough to make me smile. Now to find a different strap for the Field Officer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I could go on and on about my Omega Seamaster Pro. wow.
    I've had the watch about 6 yrs. and it is not babied. The watch stays on for racing, swimming and yard work...I'm brutal with it. This watch is a sleeper in the world of fine automatics. The automatic mechanism is as stout as they come and finish is supreme. I've JUST got my watch back from the Omega "Spa" and thanks to a forum member who help facilitate the refurbishment it is now snicking away on my wrist once again.

The reason I sent it for refurbishment was not because the watch stopped working. I beat unholy he!! out of the case and the band was broken. The watch came back looking as good as new :) Omega rocks.

FWIIW during the interlude I purchased an Seiko "Neo" Monster automatic from Ebay and it really surprised me. The silly think only cost about $130 and kept perfect time and took all the usual abuse I dish out. Came with a very nice metal band and only downside is that it is a truck. The watch itself is pretty large and heavy esp. if you are used to wearing thinner watches. I'd recommend that too. The hands are nicely illuminated if you are underwater ;) Honestly I've never seen a watch that you can see in pitch black with exception of Luminox which are absolutely brilliant. The watch itself is a bit crude.

Good luck with your search
    doesn't anyone own just a simple rolex president day-date anymore( 18k of course )?
    don c.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    doesn't anyone own just a simple rolex president day-date anymore( 18k of course )?
    don c.
    sorry, maybe i am out of line. i have two rolexes and a tag-heuer. my wife bought my first rolex in 1977, $700, stainless gold. it has been rebuilt, but it is not reliable. in 1987, she bought me an 18ct president day-date. i had it rebuilt and it keeps perfect time.expensive watches are like high performance cars, they require maintenance. by the way, a little confession, i was a serious golfer, and for golfers, there is only one watch. in the middle 90's, she bought me an electronic tag-heuer. in the 15 years that i have owned it, i have replaced the batteries 4 times and, other than when the battery gave up, the time has accurate.
    don c.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oris " Dizzy Gilespie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Chase-Durer has been on my wrist the last several years. I am typically tough on equipment and my stuff gets a lot of exposure to chlorine and saltwater. I consider this time piece bomb-proof.
    I am not who I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have a line on US-made NATO style straps?

I'm not a watch guy by any stretch and usually roll with an Ironman with a rubber band where the excess strap loop used to be. Very pro, I know. But in looking around for something I can ride to work in that also works with a suit, I ended up with one of these Nixons. I don't know if it's my Catholic school upbringing or the memories of taking the train to Penn Station everyday for 2 years, but I'm a big fan of institutional looking white clock faces. We have a few in our house and now one on my wrist.

Howevah, the band ain't going to cut it and I'm going to buy a replacement or two, NATO-style, like Musgrave's above. Most of the webfronts are Asia based, so if anyone has a line on an American made nylon strap company, I'd welcome your suggestions.

Thanks,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that Hamilton Dustin....congrats on your B-Day present.

Also, I read this thread quickly and so apologize if I missed something...but 5 pages and I didn't see a single mention of Jaeger-LeCoultre? Best watches out there. Still mfg their own movements in-house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: think twice

Quote Originally Posted by mpetry View Post
    before you ride a bike wearing your fancy self winding watch.

The rotor (winding weight) in many automatic movements does not turn in a jewel. It is simply an arbored hole in the movement top plate. What this means is, basically, there's no bearing, so any shock or vibration is causing wear on the arbor, which eventually wears out, and it's an expensive fix - you have to make a bushing and press it into the main plate. See the bottom picture below.

Sometimes you can hear this when you shake the watch. The rotor "buzzes" or vibrates.

ETA 28XX movements (used in modern Omegas, Panerai, many others) have a bearing, which is OK. The Rolex movements don't.

I love mechanical watches - but I wouldn't wear a watch I cared about when cycling.

Mark Petry
    Bainbridge Island, WA

What is this watch? It's amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moran View Post
    I like that Hamilton Dustin....congrats on your B-Day present.

Also, I read this thread quickly and so apologize if I missed something...but 5 pages and I didn't see a single mention of Jaeger-LeCoultre? Best watches out there. Still mfg their own movements in-house.
    I would say that JLC is one of the best watches out there. I've wanted a Master Compressor for my next watch for quite some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My titanium wedding band from one-off titanium (before cheap Ti bands became available and popular) and a watch are the only "bling" I ever wear.

I have a Hamilton Khaki King Automatic; it replaced a Khaki Quartz which started losing several minutes per day, and it would have cost more to fix than the watch was worth. I really like the Khaki King, but I bought it lightly used and it needs a service because it, too, was losing time on a daily basis. Not needing another thing to think about, and just wanting a basic, reliable , good-looking watch, I ended up buying a Citizen Eco-Drive and putting a different strap on it. I'm happy.

I follow this watch thread on another forum that I frequent.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pruckelshaus View Post
    My titanium wedding band from one-off titanium (before cheap Ti bands became available and popular) and a watch are the only "bling" I ever wear.

I have a Hamilton Khaki King Automatic; it replaced a Khaki Quartz which started losing several minutes per day, and it would have cost more to fix than the watch was worth. I really like the Khaki King, but I bought it lightly used and it needs a service because it, too, was losing time on a daily basis. Not needing another thing to think about, and just wanting a basic, reliable , good-looking watch, I ended up buying a Citizen Eco-Drive and putting a different strap on it. I'm happy.

I follow this watch thread on another forum that I frequent.

Pete
    I highly suggest the Time Zone forum for all your watch needs. A dated interface for sure, but good information. TimeZone: Public Forum