User Tag List

Page 43 of 175 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
    PLEASE NOTE: Just the band. NOT the whole watch.
    Good tip! I'm also pretty sure your watchmaker/jeweler will thank you if you clean that bracelet before taking the watch in for service. I'd have to imagine taking apart someone's watch amidst their residual funk is the unglamorous side of the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool.

i know harbor freight (i know...) sells a very cheap jewelry ultrasonic cleaner. i may just give it a go and see how it does. i figure with just the band in, i cant do any damage. fortunately my ND Sub has a "holes" case, so taking off the band is a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    cool.

i know harbor freight (i know...) sells a very cheap jewelry ultrasonic cleaner. i may just give it a go and see how it does. i figure with just the band in, i cant do any damage. fortunately my ND Sub has a "holes" case, so taking off the band is a breeze.
    Have you ever tried the sub on a nato strap? I find them way more comfortable for more active pursuits and since you generally wear your watch all the time, it may be a good option. And it would look great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Have you ever tried the sub on a nato strap? I find them way more comfortable for more active pursuits and since you generally wear your watch all the time, it may be a good option. And it would look great.
    i have not, but would definitely like to. I agree that a lighter nylon strap might be good to switch things up a bit. I think i'm going to order one and pull the stainless bracelet for cleaning and wear it on a NATO for a while. good call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i have not, but would definitely like to. I agree that a lighter nylon strap might be good to switch things up a bit. I think i'm going to order one and pull the stainless bracelet for cleaning and wear it on a NATO for a while. good call.
    My wife gave me one of these for my birthday this year: HODINKEE - Shop Luxury Timepiece Accessories - Kangaroo NATO Strap, Black

It is awesome. Super comfortable and looks great on every watch I've tried. If you got one like this and a nylon for sweatier pursuits, you may never want to put the bracelet back on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    My wife gave me one of these for my birthday this year: HODINKEE - Shop Luxury Timepiece Accessories - Kangaroo NATO Strap, Black

It is awesome. Super comfortable and looks great on every watch I've tried. If you got one like this and a nylon for sweatier pursuits, you may never want to put the bracelet back on.
    That strap looks very nice although spendy for something thought of as a form of nato strap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    That strap looks very nice although spendy for something thought of as a form of nato strap.
    Totally agree. Since it was a gift, she went for it and splurged. It's also very thin, which makes you initially feel like it's overpriced (and it may be). The thinness may be one of the characteristics that makes it so comfortable. What I love about it is that the NATO design keeps it casual, but it's much nicer than a nylon strap so it's ended up being really versatile and getting a lot of use. I still use the nylon NATOs for when I may be wet or sweaty. Takes about 5 seconds to swap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THE auction is live right now...well, a few more lots to go through before 345 comes up.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$21mil USD

6mil over estimate
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Amazing. I love the back story of the Graves watches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The auction itself was pretty interesting. I couldn't stop watching. It stalled around $17mil then would get bumped at the last second. I didn't think it'd reach $20mil. But it did. And kept going.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on this subject of custom watches, check out "State Watch Company" on FaceBook- the person making them used to make Jericho Bicycles.
    Ethan Yotter
    former wrench

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need recommendation:

Less than $100
    Sport Watch
    Time (and date would be nice but not necessary)
    Adjustable nylon band - think Velcro adjustable (not fixed holes)

I find that on the weekends I need a watch that has some movement and can take a beating. I have always found watches with fixed holes do not work when active. My during the work week watches all have metal bands but they are uncomfortable for weekend activities when cycling, working in the yard, going to the dump, and just running errands. I need something with a but more give in the band that is easily adjustable. I am sure someone makes it but I have not been able to find it. I thought years ago there may have been a g-shock with an adjustable by Velcro band.

Le t me know what is available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cheap, cheerful, and really comfortable, flexy bands:
    .Best Sellers | Modify Watches
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know that I'd ever buy a watch on kickstarter, and in actuality I would likely tire of this thing quickly...but I'm intrigued by it at the moment. Tempest Forged Carbon:

worn&wound | Tempest Carbon Review - worn&wound

laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in love with this Breitling Avenger Blackbird we just got in. 48mm black Titanium case with a soft mesh strap- the case color is a little darker in person. It's thinner, lighter and more comfortable than my old Titanium Avenger Seawolf. This thing is freaking gorgeous and I want it bad.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to pass on I guess...I'm getting rid of my Maratac Mid Pilot. They're getting rarish now I think. This is an older version with the nicer face. I have this strap and I think a black and an orange strap as well.

10857883_10153406060162678_2836332031992737324_n.jpg10850210_10153406060262678_3144885231687617437_n.jpg10570368_10153406060397678_4510835227028252381_n.jpg
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping this for a question (that may have been addressed up-thread - if so I apologize).

My junker "wear on the weekends when doing stuff like working on the car, or doing yard work" watch is dead and a new battery didn't help, so I need to replace it. I think I'd like to stick with analog, not digital, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'd like to keep it below $100, and below $50 would be even better - there's no sense in spending lots on something that could get smashed at any moment.

I've seen the Timex Expedition series - what else would you suggest I consider? I tend to prefer relatively simply looks, without a whole bunch of buttons or complications, but having the date is nice.

TIA