User Tag List

Page 42 of 175 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Call Paul Duggan's in Boston (sometimes in Chelmsford)

His watch service guy, Jack does good work. They will likely recommend a complete cleaning and service. Expect Boston prices (~$400-$500).

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureJustin View Post
    I managed to do a little damage to my 78 Tudor Sub. The lume broke out of one of the hands. I have hands enroute but need someone to install them and clean out the movement to be sure there is no lume in there.

All the Tudor/Rolex folks won't touch it and don't know of anyone. I am happy to ship it if needed, but would like it done.

Anyone? Help me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I also really dislike the N GMT hand. Is it a compass style design? Does it point north? No, it's the GMT hand. Odd ...
    Any GMT watch can be used to point North. If the 12-hour hand is set to the same time zone as the 24-hour hand, lay the watch flat and point the hour hand in the direction of the sun. The GMT hand is pointing North. Hence the name RGM applies to their GMT watch. I personally like the GMT hand. It was available in all red or black, with a red N. I like the black/red combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I don't know ... Get the RGM someday when you can have both.

The RGM North Pointer (Model #254 or #254S) is no longer available. If you want one, you'll need to buy on the used market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureJustin View Post
    I managed to do a little damage to my 78 Tudor Sub. The lume broke out of one of the hands. I have hands enroute but need someone to install them and clean out the movement to be sure there is no lume in there.

All the Tudor/Rolex folks won't touch it and don't know of anyone. I am happy to ship it if needed, but would like it done.

Anyone? Help me?

check your email! I got you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
    check your email! I got you!
    John has me settled. Thanks for the response and help guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jr rocks.

Great thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timely given our recent discussion of RGM watches...here's a nice Hodinkee post on the new Pilot 151A. Pretty classic looking pilot's watch.

Introducing The RGM Pro Aviator 151A, In Stainless Steel and Titanium — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

It's even available with either a Steel or Ti case, which is also a timely discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emailed about this late last week. Turn around is pretty quick. Said he could use a flat crystal and the rubber strap from the 254.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    Emailed about this late last week. Turn around is pretty quick. Said he could use a flat crystal and the rubber strap from the 254.
    In Steel or Ti? I tend to gravitate towards dive watches, but a nicely designed Pilot always catches my eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel. The price he quote was surprisingly low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Glad to help when and where I can. But Roland is pretty close to a god in this field. After all he did great work on your SPM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would buy this if I could afford it:

Introducing The RGM Pennsylvania Series 801 "Baseball In Enamel" — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

Watches with some sort of baseball connection might just become my thing.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    Any GMT watch can be used to point North. If the 12-hour hand is set to the same time zone as the 24-hour hand, lay the watch flat and point the hour hand in the direction of the sun. The GMT hand is pointing North. Hence the name RGM applies to their GMT watch. I personally like the GMT hand. It was available in all red or black, with a red N. I like the black/red combo.
    FWIW any analog watch can be used to find direction. When the hour hand is pointed towards the sun, south is halfway between the hour hand and noon (1 o'clock if on Daylight Savings Time) if one is in the Northern Hemisphere.

In the southern half of the world 12 on the watch is pointed at the sun and the angle between the hour hand and 12 is north.

How to use a Watch as a Compass
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    FWIW any analog watch can be used to find direction. When the hour hand is pointed towards the sun, south is halfway between the hour hand and noon (1 o'clock if on Daylight Savings Time) if one is in the Northern Hemisphere.

In the southern half of the world 12 on the watch is pointed at the sun and the angle between the hour hand and 12 is north.

How to use a Watch as a Compass
    Great... Now represent! I KNOW you have more than a couple of very nice watches choke!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy crap, I'm in trouble and need help.
    Always like watches and have two. When my Seiko Kinetic died I never got it repaired, battery dead in the Pulsar, stuck a drawer somewhere and forgotten. Starting about three weeks ago, I had begun to browse for watches. Like days of old, the ones I like are expensive, sigh.
    So, thinking to myself, "you've got two watches, get them fixed!". Wore the dead Seiko at home for awhile and realised how much I missed it.
    This behavior worsened my condition though and now a spiral pattern is forming. God help me, I'm looking at Ball watches.
    Now, I'm in the market for having a bike made for me and boy do I dicker about the price of this and that.
    But when it comes to watches, oh no, my filter is broken, financial logic is uncalibrated and what I will buy is high indeed. Why, it is perfectly reasonalble to go ahead and buy that watch, I'll wear it and rub it like Gollum from the Hobbits story.
    For the money, I'll basically be wearing my new bike frame on my wrist.
    If I wore that new Ball Watch while riding my old bike, I wouldn't be able to stop looking at it and would smack my head right into a tree and total the bike (while, of course, saving the watch, arm stretched out during the fall, not a scratch on it, but wouldn't remember my name afterwards) and be out of a bike to ride. Then I would get fat and not be able to think too well (cause I would have hit a damn tree with my head, remember!), lose my livelihood, my health and my good looks. I could ride without wearing the new shiny and expensive Ball watch, you say? I know you not, strange person, I would wear that damn thing everywhere. I must be saved and make a stand here and now.
    So, the plan is to pop a battery in the ol' Pulsar and send the Seiko out for repairs and hope that satiates this relapse into an old
    desire I thought had passed.
    Love this thread, but it has been like crack.
    Nice watches posted here, please post more pics to help me get by until I get mine back up and running. (Don't listen to that, it's the watch addict talking, stop, you're killing me).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned the Patek Philippe museum in a recent previous post...it's like the folks at Hodinkee are lurking here. This was posted recently.

Photo Report: Inside The Patek Philippe Museum (100+ Photos!) — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

Tons of photos for the watch lovers in the group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not hear a question ;)

You are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
    Holy crap, I'm in trouble and need help.
    Always like watches and have two. When my Seiko Kinetic died I never got it repaired, battery dead in the Pulsar, stuck a drawer somewhere and forgotten. Starting about three weeks ago, I had begun to browse for watches. Like days of old, the ones I like are expensive, sigh.
    So, thinking to myself, "you've got two watches, get them fixed!". Wore the dead Seiko at home for awhile and realised how much I missed it.
    This behavior worsened my condition though and now a spiral pattern is forming. God help me, I'm looking at Ball watches.
    Now, I'm in the market for having a bike made for me and boy do I dicker about the price of this and that.
    But when it comes to watches, oh no, my filter is broken, financial logic is uncalibrated and what I will buy is high indeed. Why, it is perfectly reasonalble to go ahead and buy that watch, I'll wear it and rub it like Gollum from the Hobbits story.
    For the money, I'll basically be wearing my new bike frame on my wrist.
    If I wore that new Ball Watch while riding my old bike, I wouldn't be able to stop looking at it and would smack my head right into a tree and total the bike (while, of course, saving the watch, arm stretched out during the fall, not a scratch on it, but wouldn't remember my name afterwards) and be out of a bike to ride. Then I would get fat and not be able to think too well (cause I would have hit a damn tree with my head, remember!), lose my livelihood, my health and my good looks. I could ride without wearing the new shiny and expensive Ball watch, you say? I know you not, strange person, I would wear that damn thing everywhere. I must be saved and make a stand here and now.
    So, the plan is to pop a battery in the ol' Pulsar and send the Seiko out for repairs and hope that satiates this relapse into an old
    desire I thought had passed.
    Love this thread, but it has been like crack.
    Nice watches posted here, please post more pics to help me get by until I get mine back up and running. (Don't listen to that, it's the watch addict talking, stop, you're killing me).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone here have a home ultrasonic cleaner?

i daily wear my watch with a stainless band, and i am anything but easy on stuff. anyway, the band is filthy in all of the little nooks and crannies. would an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner be a good purchase to throw just the band in every once in a while? any recs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

i daily wear my watch with a stainless band, and i am anything but easy on stuff. anyway, the band is filthy in all of the little nooks and crannies. would an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner be a good purchase to throw just the band in every once in a while? any recs?
    If your only need is cleaning the bracelet, I'd start with some jewelry cleaner and a gentle brush (usually comes with the cleaner).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Tooth brush (used) and a little dish soap would be where I would start. Just let band set in soapy water a while and then use brush. Rinse well.

Ultra sonic would work, but I would try the cheaper idea first.

PLEASE NOTE: Just the band. NOT the whole watch.