User Tag List

Page 41 of 175 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

I finally had a chance to watch the full video of making the 5175. I find the balance of old and new tools and techniques to be very interesting. The watch is absolutely amazing with 20 complications. The perpetual calendar, minute repeater, or dual-time functions individually will make for a special watch. Combined they would make a rare and exemplary watch. Combined with 17 other functions is out of this world. If you're curious to read the full list of functions, here's the watch on the Patek site (details are under "Movement" on the right).

PATEK PHILIPPE SA - 175th Collection Ref. 5175R-001 Rose Gold

It's pretty clear this is a company that has a deep passion for watchmaking. The 7th of these is going in the Patek museum, which is worth a visit if you're ever in Geneva and have any interest in the history of telling time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I kinda really want to swap my PO for an RGM North Pointer. Talk me into or out of that.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No brainer. Cannondale vs. Spectrum, Trek vs. Sachs, etc. Get the North Pointer. PO is a nice piece, but RGM is special. I have a Moonwatch and and Aquaterra and like them for everyday use, but almost always reach for my RGM 222 when my watch matters to me for more than function.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    So, I kinda really want to swap my PO for an RGM North Pointer. Talk me into or out of that.
    I don't know ... Get the RGM someday when you can have both.

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    No brainer. Cannondale vs. Spectrum, Trek vs. Sachs, etc. Get the North Pointer. PO is a nice piece, but RGM is special. I have a Moonwatch and and Aquaterra and like them for everyday use, but almost always reach for my RGM 222 when my watch matters to me for more than function.
    I don't think that's not a valid comparison. An Omega is tried and true and will last for years. I'm sure an RGM will as well, but RGM only has an allure here because of his relationship with RS. A North Pointer is often compared to lower-end flight watches when it carries a much higher price point. They are refinished calibers or 2892s, or at least were. The finishing is nice - but in the watch world, it's no RS or Spectrum. It's like an ANT or Brompton. I also really dislike the N GMT hand. Is it a compass style design? Does it point north? No, it's the GMT hand. Odd ...
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Politely disagree with you. I was an RGM fan and a Sachs fan independently long before they were linked and long before I found VSalon (circa 2011). I do agree that the North Pointer is a very nicely refinished ETA 2893, but there are many other 2892/2893 watches with far lesser finishes at higher prices. It's a decent value. I don't get your point about durability - I wouldn't anticipate any potential difference between the two. What really takes RGM to the Sachs stratosphere of watchmaking is the 801 in-house ebauche. Anyway, no disrespect to Omega. I said, I own and enjoy two of them (and I dig the orange PO).
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Politely disagree with you. I was an RGM fan and a Sachs fan independently long before they were linked and long before I found VSalon (circa 2011). I do agree that the North Pointer is a very nicely refinished ETA 2893, but there are many other 2892/2893 watches with far lesser finishes at higher prices. It's a decent value. I don't get your point about durability - I wouldn't anticipate any potential difference between the two. What really takes RGM to the Sachs stratosphere of watchmaking is the 801 in-house ebauche. Anyway, no disrespect to Omega. I said, I own and enjoy two of them (and I dig the orange PO).
    I'm sorry, I came off as harsh. I think they are both durable watches and serve their purpose. The Omega models, finishings, and such have been around for a long time though and are pretty proven. I've read Rolland to be a very skilled craftsman and very customer focused. I don't think someone could go wrong purchasing an RGM, but I don't think of it as a special work of art like some make it out to be, at least not for his "work-horse" lines. The 801 with Breguet hands, well that is something pretty special. If was into fancy stuff though, I'd just buy a Breguet for 6x more the price.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a fancy watch but I love the simplicity of just an hour hand.

Joel Greenblatt

Website

Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clockwork. There are days I feel like that watch looks ;). Not sure what time it is but it doesn't matter anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Not a fancy watch but I love the simplicity of just an hour hand.

the master of uncomplication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fancied RGM prior to knowing what RSCX was. But that's not really important. I just like the watch. I like that a US company and not just an ETA slapped into a generic case with a generic dial. He isn't a Kickstarter campaign or a WUS-born start-up.

That said, I'm wearing my PO today and damn do I love this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    I fancied RGM prior to knowing what RSCX was. But that's not really important. I just like the watch. I like that a US company and not just an ETA slapped into a generic case with a generic dial. He isn't a Kickstarter campaign or a WUS-born start-up.

That said, I'm wearing my PO today and damn do I love this thing.
    I say keep the PO and save up for the RGM. You'll miss the PO and it'll be harder to get back in the future if you sell it. Plus, N+1 definitely applies to watches as well as bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I get this. RGM used an ETA movement in their 254. The same base movement of the Omega. In fact swatch owns ETA and Omega so the movement in your Omega is in house while the RGM is not. BTW; the RGM 222 is a hamilton movement, from pocket watches.

I'm not downing Rolland or his watches. I own one myself, and have talked to him many, many times at the winter national watch show. Just trying to be sure of the facts here. Both RGM and Omega are VERY FINE time pieces.

I'll try to get pics in a day or so, of my RGM and the watch I put together like the RGM 222, with the hamilton movement!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm a mechanical dive watch guy through and through, but something about this newer g-shock really appeals to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i'm a mechanical dive watch guy through and through, but something about this newer g-shock really appeals to me.

I always like the G-shocks in pictures. And anytime I'm looking for a digital watch I go try them on. As soon as they're on my wrist it feels wrong. There's just so much going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I always like the G-shocks in pictures. And anytime I'm looking for a digital watch I go try them on. As soon as they're on my wrist it feels wrong. There's just so much going on.
    now that you mention it, that's my exact same direct experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Count the G Shocks in this picture. I picked mine up on the day I left for MEPS. It's been to Germany, Italy, England, Portugal, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Bahrain, Morocco, Kyrgyzstan, Japan, Korea, Philippines, etc. The best tool I own. I get a fancy watch every once in a while and it inevitably sits in a drawer after I put on my G for a deployment. The only 'weak spot' is the fact that eventually you'll have to change the battery, but they've fixed that on the newer models as well.

I guess chicks don't dig them. Don't know if they've fixed that flaw yet.

gshock.jpg
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quickag View Post
    Count the G Shocks in this picture. I picked mine up on the day I left for MEPS. It's been to Germany, Italy, England, Portugal, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Bahrain, Morocco, Kyrgyzstan, Japan, Korea, Philippines, etc. The best tool I own. I get a fancy watch every once in a while and it inevitably sits in a drawer after I put on my G for a deployment. The only 'weak spot' is the fact that eventually you'll have to change the battery, but they've fixed that on the newer models as well.

I guess chicks don't dig them. Don't know if they've fixed that flaw yet.

gshock.jpg
    I definitely see the value as a tool. I sit at a computer all day, so all I need is a way to tell time. Cool photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a G-Shock that's somewhat simple. I used to wear it while riding and exercising. I wore it to the dentist office one day and my dentist goes "Oh, my 10 year old loves G-Shocks - he has a bunch of them". So again - good as a tool for the job. I try not to wear it casually. I wouldn't mind a black-out out one though.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a couple G-shocks. 3, actually. Why? Color. And they can take a beating, so if I know I'm going to be in some not-so-awesome conditions, they come out to play.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I managed to do a little damage to my 78 Tudor Sub. The lume broke out of one of the hands. I have hands enroute but need someone to install them and clean out the movement to be sure there is no lume in there.

All the Tudor/Rolex folks won't touch it and don't know of anyone. I am happy to ship it if needed, but would like it done.

Anyone? Help me?