User Tag List

Page 39 of 175 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Don't give up on the Seamaster!

This searchbot will be your friend. The cats on WUS are a good lot - I've never had an issue with a transaction there and all but 1 of my watches have been used - most more than 30 years.

Elite Deal Seeker for Watches - Watch Deal Seeker
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip Jason! I'll keep an eye on it, looks like there are a couple contenders right out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post

This searchbot will be your friend. The cats on WUS are a good lot - I've never had an issue with a transaction there and all but 1 of my watches have been used - most more than 30 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    This. Authorized dealers will typically overhaul a second-hand watch and provide their own warranty for a period of time. Their reputation is at stake, so it's a great outlet for buying watches for less with confidence.

There are other watches, though, that could fit the bill. Tag and Tudor both have some great watches for less than a Seamaster. There are other companies, too, they're just the ones I'm most familiar with. Are you looking for a pilot style, dive watch, chrono, semi-dress...there are a lot of options. If you know the specific style you like, that could help narrow it down.
    On specific style, I'm not that familiar with the categories, but whatever the Seamaster is (dive watch?) is one, and the pilot style seems to be another that I like. Don't like the dress watches. Will be wearing it all the time, and would like to pass it on to my son if possible, so needs to be very durable and serviceable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like there is a Seamaster in Chicago at a decent price. How concerned do I have to be about fakes? Looks like it's just a good condition used watch from a guy, no "papers" or other accoutrements.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    On specific style, I'm not that familiar with the categories, but whatever the Seamaster is (dive watch?) is one, and the pilot style seems to be another that I like. Don't like the dress watches. Will be wearing it all the time, and would like to pass it on to my son if possible, so needs to be very durable and serviceable.
    Divers and pilots, it seems. Just for kicks, check out the Tag Aquaracers, Tudor Pelagos, Tudor Heritage Black Bay, and Tudor Heritage Ranger (field watch, not pilot, but similar). The Omega is a step up in overall quality, but these are good options for a well made watch. They both overlap in price a little with Omega, with the less expensive Omegas lining up to the more expensive Tags/Tudors. The Aquaracer line has some gems and some duds, so take the time to poke around. Half the fun is trying on all the different models. And if a Seamaster has your heart, it's worth it. A classic, quality watch that you'll be able to beat on and pass down.

Looks like there is a Seamaster in Chicago at a decent price. How concerned do I have to be about fakes? Looks like it's just a good condition used watch from a guy, no "papers" or other accoutrements.
    I'll defer to those that go that way, but there is a lot of risk with watches. Not saying that this particular seller is bogus, but the industry is full of complete and partial fakes. Dials get swapped, movements get swapped, stones (if you like diamond encrusted) get swapped. You also never know how the watch was maintained. Not trying to be a downer, but it's a lot of money to spend on something without peace of mind.

And one caveat...I do have some links to the biz, but that's out of the picture here. Just trying to help a great guy I hung with at Baller's go in eyes wide open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll defer to those that go that way, but there is a lot of risk with watches. Not saying that this particular seller is bogus, but the industry is full of complete and partial fakes. Dials get swapped, movements get swapped, stones (if you like diamond encrusted) get swapped. You also never know how the watch was maintained. Not trying to be a downer, but it's a lot of money to spend on something without peace of mind.
    I totally hear you on this. A few used items online I have seen have signs of fake-ness that are apparent even to my untrained eye. Might be that, as you and TT have suggested, a maintained used example from a real dealer may be the best way to go.

Thanks for the input, by the way. Great to get all this advice from a known and trusted Baller as the people at the dealers I have been to so far are not as familiar with the products they are selling or as customer savvy as I would think would be de rigeur for places selling watches that cost anywhere form the Earth down to a single large city!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the IWC pilot watch. The Mark XVII is the current iteration, but I prefer the simplicity of the Mark XVI. Uses a modified ETA movement. Classic watch. Check out WatchRecon - The Most Intelligent Search Engine for Private Watch Sales which has thumbnails of the watches for sale.

Mark XVI:
    image.jpg

Mark XVII:
    image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IWC completely lost the plot on the pilot series after the Mark XV, 3251, and 3706. The ones after that make me cry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the advice guys, I settled on a Speedmaster after looking around a fair bit.

sPEED FRONT.jpgspeed back.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely not "settling". Awesome grab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    IWC completely lost the plot on the pilot series after the Mark XV, 3251, and 3706. The ones after that make me cry.
    Which Mark was the midsize?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done Andy :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

36.25mm on my wrist. Right watch, right size, happy guy. Appreciate the VS comments on this up thread.

The very nice, but too big for me, MKII LRRP will find its way to the market and I'll give VS'ers first shot at a great deal when that happens.

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're looking for a pilot that's not going to break the bank, my vote goes to Stowa. At 40mm, it's the perfect size for my tiny wrists:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Those Stowa Flieger's are just about the only non-dive watch I'd consider buying. Love that onion crown.

laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still scratching my head about how you settle with regard to an omega speedmaster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I'm still scratching my head about how you settle with regard to an omega speedmaster
    It's very hard to do. I think it starts with trying on something like an A. Lange and Sohne Double Split. But in the world of watches that mere mortals can acquire, it's just about perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's very hard to do. I think it starts with trying on something like an A. Lange and Sohne Double Split. But in the world of watches that mere mortals can acquire, it's just about perfect.
    Appreciate your sentiments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#perspective

Like wanting an Aquanaut but getting a Submariner.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Guys, I said "settled on," as in "out of a lot of cool choices decided that this was the most desirable"
    I did NOT SAY "settled for," as in "I really wanted something else but went with this POS because of some $$ constraint"

Make sense? Lovin' the Speedmaster . . .