User Tag List

Page 38 of 175 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Seamaster is a heckova watch, can't go wrong there. On weight, you might notice it at first, after a few days it's a total non-issue. My experience with Ti cased watches is they scratch easier than stainless watches (I don't give my watches any quarantine). That said for someone who doesn't work a physically demanding job Ti is a fine choice. And I would be lying if I said that a Ti Pelagos was't on my lust-list.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raising my hand for the Seamaster. It is one amazing watch which like Jason show no mercy. I never take it off except working on automobiles. You will not notice the weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a much smaller man than Too Tall. And I'm pretty darn sure I wear a much heavier watch. You won't notice the weight after a minute. And the Seamaster is a great choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool - I also like the Zeno-Basel line and it seems "reasonable" compared to a lot that's out there. Do you guys think they are comparable to the Omegas, durability-wise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeeze Jason re-reading this i realize you really miss the 6306. It is a very special watch which i do wear usually for a few weeks at a time but i'm careful not to beat on it like the seamaster. Just wanted you to know it is well loved and your kind gesture to donate money for Japan Tsunami relief is still heartfelt.

Ok.....i really don't neeeeeed that Sinn but dang it has been on my want list for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do really like my Rolex Submariner but the rebuild costs will kill you! If I recall the last rebuild cost me $1200.00 that said I should be good for another ten years or so....I got the watch when I turned 21 years old which was like a billion years ago. Given that I have a "watch problem" give a look to the Kobold Watches my wife got me the Arctic Diver that I could not be more thrilled with http://koboldwatch.com/en. Tag also make a great watch was well I have the formula one quartz model works like a champ and I have beat the stuffing out of it and still keeps great time.

Thanks,

KJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Tudor. They have some pretty sweet watches that will more than stand up to daily wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Cool - I also like the Zeno-Basel line and it seems "reasonable" compared to a lot that's out there. Do you guys think they are comparable to the Omegas, durability-wise?
    Omega > Zeno by a long shot imho. Seamaster has a reputation few can match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i own many of the classic dive watches. you could do a lot worse than the seamaster. go for it.

that said, dont force your wife's hand for a matching watch. many women do not like a bulkier watch, let her get what speaks to her. the omega line is a great place to look.

also, dont buy them online, buying a luxury watch is a nice experience at an authorized dealer, and the after sales service is a nice benefit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been following this thread for a while now...... And eventually I'm going to pull trigger on a decent watch. All I've owned is a sports watch for the last 12 or 13 years ..... A Suunto which has been an awesome rugged, useful watch but I really want to have a decent rugged dress type watch. Not super dressy but something nice. Always wanted a Omega Seamaster but recently have been really liking the simplicity of some of the Sinn watches. Who has experience with both? I know the Seamaster is a "lifetime" watch but are some of the Sinn's equally as rugged. I don't want a watch that has to be babied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i own many of the classic dive watches. you could do a lot worse than the seamaster. go for it.

that said, dont force your wife's hand for a matching watch. many women do not like a bulkier watch, let her get what speaks to her. the omega line is a great place to look.

also, dont buy them online, buying a luxury watch is a nice experience at an authorized dealer, and the after sales service is a nice benefit.
    Don't forget proper warranties. If you're buying new and want a warranty honored, your best bet is at an authorized agency.

Quote Originally Posted by climbgdh View Post
    Been following this thread for a while now...... And eventually I'm going to pull trigger on a decent watch. All I've owned is a sports watch for the last 12 or 13 years ..... A Suunto which has been an awesome rugged, useful watch but I really want to have a decent rugged dress type watch. Not super dressy but something nice. Always wanted a Omega Seamaster but recently have been really liking the simplicity of some of the Sinn watches. Who has experience with both? I know the Seamaster is a "lifetime" watch but are some of the Sinn's equally as rugged. I don't want a watch that has to be babied.
    I don't have experience with both, but I will say a lot of watches that get babied really don't need to be. Especially nicer "sport" watches like the seamaster or submariner. They can take a lot of abuse and, like a beautiful bike, once you get over the first scratch it's really more fun to put them through their paces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been more than a little obsessed with the Grand Seiko Spring Drive movement for a while now. Seiko sells watches at every price range, but their Grand Seiko line is on another level. Arguably better fit and finish than Rolex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a watch fan as well. Fortunately for me I don't hold to the N+1 rule when it comes time pieces. I'm happy with my Breitling Evolution that I've had for nearly a decade, but I do think about an Omega Speedmaster Coaxial and a Schaufausen Ingenieur from time to time Gran Seiko has some beautiful watches as well and some very good technology. There are no bad choices here. If you do go Gran Seiko Seiya Japan is a good dealer to look up.

-Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanrtaylor View Post
    I've been more than a little obsessed with the Grand Seiko Spring Drive movement for a while now. Seiko sells watches at every price range, but their Grand Seiko line is on another level. Arguably better fit and finish than Rolex.
    This. Seiko Marinemaster (SBDX001) is a Grand Seiko (not a Spring Drive) and is the top of my grail list. $2k buys you something that's made as well and runs as well as anything else out there imho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Jeeze Jason re-reading this i realize you really miss the 6306. It is a very special watch which i do wear usually for a few weeks at a time but i'm careful not to beat on it like the seamaster. Just wanted you to know it is well loved and your kind gesture to donate money for Japan Tsunami relief is still heartfelt.
    Ha ha if you only knew boss. I will own another 6306 someday. I am glad that you still enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had this Marathon dive watch with an ETA auto movement on my wrist non-stop for around 3 years. By nonstop I mean I take it off only when it's brickish weight hurts to wear - like mountain biking.

Still accurate to a few seconds per day and the scratches only give it character. For what these things can deliver they are dirt cheap.
    photo.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my Planet Ocean has been through a bit. I'm surprised. I babied it at first, but then realized it's a watch that is meant to be worn. Not babied. One day I found a scratch on the crystal and the bezel. I was rather upset. For about a week.

Then I discovered that it was a very thin line of tubular glue.

I sold a few things to get this watch. I wore it when my wife and I got engaged. Then married. It's travelled with me. It's quite perfect. I've been tempted to sell it a few times, but I just can't. It's kind of a classic. Will never get old. And it's not a Rolex (personal deal). I'm quite confident in what Omega is doing and fully believe their product and technology is superior (in terms of mid-priced timepieces).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so the Seamaster is cool. The ones at my local Omega store are out of my range (the cheapest one was over $5K), and I'd rather not buy from the internet sight unseen. Looking around, I note that the e-RICHIE approved RGM company has a very nice Pilot style at ~$2300-$2700 which is more what I was looking to spend. Do we think one of these would be suitable for daily wear/could take a beating like a Seamaster?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    OK, so the Seamaster is cool. The ones at my local Omega store are out of my range (the cheapest one was over $5K), and I'd rather not buy from the internet sight unseen. Looking around, I note that the e-RICHIE approved RGM company has a very nice Pilot style at ~$2300-$2700 which is more what I was looking to spend. Do we think one of these would be suitable for daily wear/could take a beating like a Seamaster?
    Few automatics can handle what the Seamaster does. Don't give up on this yet? Bet you can find one with a warranty used from a reliable dealer in your range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Few automatics can handle what the Seamaster does. Don't give up on this yet? Bet you can find one with a warranty used from a reliable dealer in your range.
    This. Authorized dealers will typically overhaul a second-hand watch and provide their own warranty for a period of time. Their reputation is at stake, so it's a great outlet for buying watches for less with confidence.

There are other watches, though, that could fit the bill. Tag and Tudor both have some great watches for less than a Seamaster. There are other companies, too, they're just the ones I'm most familiar with. Are you looking for a pilot style, dive watch, chrono, semi-dress...there are a lot of options. If you know the specific style you like, that could help narrow it down.