User Tag List

Page 36 of 175 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ceramic

question for the group:

i have a dive watch addiction and own many of the iconic submariner looking dive watches from a bunch of the major players. i never wear them riding, i just dont like the weight on my wrist, and dont care for the clank of the stainless bracelet.

now looking for a rubber strap watch, possibly with titanium head to ride with and travel with. looking for something inexpensive that i dont mind beating up and dont consider a real theft hazard. looking hard at a tissot t-touch, can be had easily under 3-bills, ti head and decent looking. what else should i be looking at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm clearly outclassed in the watch world. However, I thought that you watch guys would be amused by mine. It is a titanium self winding Seiko that I bought years ago on eBay for $99. It is sturdy and works well for me. I had a hard time keeping it wound though. So, once every year or two, I tape the watch to the spokes near the hub of my bicycle wheel for a week of rides. This charges it up for a long time!
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    I'm clearly outclassed in the watch world. However, I thought that you watch guys would be amused by mine. It is a titanium self winding Seiko that I bought years ago on eBay for $99. It is sturdy and works well for me. I had a hard time keeping it wound though. So, once every year or two, I tape the watch to the spokes near the hub of my bicycle wheel for a week of rides. This charges it up for a long time!
    What kind of max power reserve does the watch have when fully wound? The longest I have heard is 31 days (Lange 31 - that will set you back $140K or so though). Besides that it usually drops down to 8-10 days, then to 2-4 days.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    What kind of max power reserve does the watch have when fully wound? The longest I have heard is 31 days (Lange 31 - that will set you back $140K or so though). Besides that it usually drops down to 8-10 days, then to 2-4 days.
    The Seiko originally had a small button that stored the charge. After several years, Seiko found that the button didn't hold much charge any more. So, they changed to a different small button (that is actually a small rechargeable battery, I think) that will hold a charge for many months. I put one of those in my watch. They take a very long time to wind to a full charge. A week or so on the bike does it though.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    now looking for a rubber strap watch, possibly with titanium head
    stretch/double your budget and go for a Mido Ocean Star Captain

Or on the low end, I stumbled on these and thought about buying one but ended up changing my plans - Boccia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    It's Baselworld 2014, folks. For all you watch lovers, there are lots of goodies coming out. Here's one that caught me off guard. Tudor Heritage Ranger...with a camo strap option.

Self quote. I tried this on today. On bracelet. The weight was nice. The size is on the largish side at 41mm, but the thin bezel gives it a smaller look on the wrist. I really liked the simplicity of the dial with the slight accent of the reddish seconds hand. I've had my eye on something else, so I'm really taken by surprise with how much I liked it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    question for the group:

i have a dive watch addiction and own many of the iconic submariner looking dive watches from a bunch of the major players. i never wear them riding, i just dont like the weight on my wrist, and dont care for the clank of the stainless bracelet.

now looking for a rubber strap watch, possibly with titanium head to ride with and travel with. looking for something inexpensive that i dont mind beating up and dont consider a real theft hazard. looking hard at a tissot t-touch, can be had easily under 3-bills, ti head and decent looking. what else should i be looking at?

I recommend the Citizen Eco-Drive to ride with. I have been mountain biking, hiking, etc with a Citizen Eco Drive for the past 5 years. Always affordable on Amazon.

Eco-Drive is a solar charging battery with a traditional quarts movement. No need to ever change the battery.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I have been mountain biking, hiking, etc with a Citizen Eco Drive for the past 5 years.
    I really like my eco-drive(s) as well. I got this one over 20 yrs ago. I had to send it away some years ago to get the battery replaced (there is a battery/capacitor or something in there to hold the solar charge, and eventually it stops holding a charge), but that's the extent of it. still works great. I'm pretty sure they don't make this particular model anymore though.

watch.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone looking to sell a timepiece?
    Looking for something with a clean dial ~ maybe a pilot or tool watch of some sort.
    Sinn? Fortis? Something interesting...

My Oris is in for service and I'm itching...

PM if you have anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's not a Patek Phillipe, but a guy named Kozo gave it to me personally, so it's got sentimental value.image.jpg
    Mike Anderson
    Wellytown
    Nooooo Zeeeland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know if there is a replacement classifieds search-bot for the old dealseaker bot yet? I NEED to find another MKII (preferably a MMT/Blackwater)!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    Anyone know if there is a replacement classifieds search-bot for the old dealseaker bot yet? I NEED to find another MKII (preferably a MMT/Blackwater)!
    How about this?
    Elite Deal Seeker for Watches - Watch Deal Seeker
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a minty MKII LRRP that I'm willing to sell. PM if you're interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Sweet, thanks. The old site went dead a while back. This one has the same name so must be run by the same folks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might also try watchrecon.com

MMT/Blackwaters are some of the nicest wearing watches I've ever had. I love my sterile Type 1 homage. photo-8.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I miss the MMT (pic earlier in this thread).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These last few MKII posts reminded me to where my Blackwater today. Love this watch. It's from the first batch after Bill started MKII.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ lovely!

Mine was supposedly the very first custom one. I believe it because I traded it back to it's original owner who is now a watch maker (insane story). I am happy to have helped complete it's circle...but I shoulda kept the effer ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ lovely!

Mine was supposedly the very first custom one. I believe it because I traded it back to it's original owner who is now a watch maker (insane story). I am happy to have helped complete it's circle...but I shoulda kept the effer ;-)
    Wait, what??? You HAD the very first custom MKII Blackwater but now do NOT? This is a story we need to hear!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed I did - didn't realize it at the time though!

I bought it on one of the forums and wore it for about a year before deciding that 1: The configuration was all wrong: wrong dial, the second hand didn't really match the other hands imho, the bezel was too busy, etc. It wasn't the config I wanted originally, but I jumped when I finally timed one right after trying for so long. And 2: A part of me missed my 6306 (my first auto!)...I love something about that classic Seiko cushion shape. At that time I started hearing about the Tsunami which is a modern interpretation of the classic 6309 diver - modern (6r15) movement, thick Sapphire, triple sealed crown, 300m water resistance, etc, a "super 6309" if you will. There was only 100 of the 'black classic' Tsunami's made, I was lucky and got #96. Once Jake Bordeaux confirmed I was on the list for one I decided to list the MKII for sale and in the process the warranty card fell out of the case. When I picked it up I discovered it had originally belonged to a "Jake B." It was at that point a light went off in my head and I remembered a pic I had snagged off Bills blog years earlier that was in my database ( I keep a pic database of all kinds of stuff on my computer for reference) of a MMT with the same configuration and a "J.B. Canada."

Knowing he was originally from Canada I emailed Jake back and asked him if he had ever owned a MKII...he had! He said the watch had had such an impact on him he decided to sell everything (including his beloved watch) to fund a one way trip to Hong Kong to become a watch maker. Anyway he asked if I would trade it back for the Tsunami so I did.

Anyway I have often regretted it, I never really did bond with the Tsunami - when it came the configuration was wrong and Jake never really straitened it out properly (and after all that!) but I do think it's really cool to have been a part of his/its journey. How it is that me, who had literally only owned 3 autos (one of which I sold to Curt Goodrich before I even got it) ended up ordering my 4th from the guy who had previously owned the watch on my wrist...and managed to put it all together still blows my mind.

Edit: Here is the pic I saved from Bill Yao's blog:
    Attached Images Attached Images