User Tag List

Page 28 of 176 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

An interest in watches has sort of snuck up on me- was given a nice Oris Artelier for my 21st which has served me well for pretty much all occasions, but recently have had my head turned by a few others. Saw an article in a UK motoring magazine about Tudor, and that led me down the path of man-logic of needing a Black Bay (as in, I am a submariner, a submariner should wear a submariner, but there are too many Rolex 'homages' about. And seeing as I served on a port crew, a red bezel is a must. Et voila. I NEED a Black Bay) but then this popped up on ebay. Man logic once again kicked in (I NEED a chrono to be able to time tasks for work) and a cheeky offer, and it is mine. It needs the case re doing, and I have a better strap on order (the current one looks like it cost 30p) but it makes me happy.

I was having thoughts about getting it modified with light blue chrono hands, but the orange is really growing on me. compared to the modern trend of bigger and bigger watches it looks surprisingly small, but once on my wrist it just seems 'right'. I immediately took it out with me on exercise where it worked perfectly, and the simple pleasure of having something desirable to help me do my job makes the day a little better, even with the horrendous weather we have been having over here!
    Unfortunately I am heading over to Europe with work in a couple of months, if I see a Black Bay for a reasonable price, I may just have to pull the trigger.

(forgive the photo, I am rubbish with a camera at the best of times, and unfortunately only have a iPhone for digital snaps)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madships View Post
    An interest in watches has sort of snuck up on me- was given a nice Oris Artelier for my 21st which has served me well for pretty much all occasions, but recently have had my head turned by a few others. Saw an article in a UK motoring magazine about Tudor, and that led me down the path of man-logic of needing a Black Bay (as in, I am a submariner, a submariner should wear a submariner, but there are too many Rolex 'homages' about. And seeing as I served on a port crew, a red bezel is a must. Et voila. I NEED a Black Bay) but then this popped up on ebay. Man logic once again kicked in (I NEED a chrono to be able to time tasks for work) and a cheeky offer, and it is mine. It needs the case re doing, and I have a better strap on order (the current one looks like it cost 30p) but it makes me happy.

I was having thoughts about getting it modified with light blue chrono hands, but the orange is really growing on me. compared to the modern trend of bigger and bigger watches it looks surprisingly small, but once on my wrist it just seems 'right'. I immediately took it out with me on exercise where it worked perfectly, and the simple pleasure of having something desirable to help me do my job makes the day a little better, even with the horrendous weather we have been having over here!
    Unfortunately I am heading over to Europe with work in a couple of months, if I see a Black Bay for a reasonable price, I may just have to pull the trigger.

(forgive the photo, I am rubbish with a camera at the best of times, and unfortunately only have a iPhone for digital snaps)
    Great piece madships. Well played.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you like it, I have found myself checking the time a lot more often the last couple of days just so I can look at it more. Compared to similar vintage Heuers and Omegas, Tissots do seem to be a bit undervalued, but then again I am bound to say that! The central hand chrono functions are nice though. Would it be too much to start looking for a decent 70s coupe to complete the look? I mean, a Fulvia is a 1.3, so it has green credentials, and must be able to fit a couple of bikes in the back. If only 105 Alfas hadn't gone through the roof...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madships View Post
    Glad you like it, I have found myself checking the time a lot more often the last couple of days just so I can look at it more. Compared to similar vintage Heuers and Omegas, Tissots do seem to be a bit undervalued, but then again I am bound to say that! The central hand chrono functions are nice though. Would it be too much to start looking for a decent 70s coupe to complete the look? I mean, a Fulvia is a 1.3, so it has green credentials, and must be able to fit a couple of bikes in the back. If only 105 Alfas hadn't gone through the roof...
    I agree with your thoughts on the vintage Tissots often being overlooked. This is one of the favorite watches I have.IMG_1151.jpgIMG_1153.jpg

It's case reminds me of yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am currently in South Africa celebrating my mum's retirement and got her to bring out a new purchase - a MK2 diver's watch - that I had shipped to England to avoid Korean customs. I am a rather massive fan of it. Doesn't feel too big on my (small) wrist and a real nice clean interface.

mk2 diver's watch. by TomEats, on Flickr
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
    He often wears it while racing.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sending two watches off to be repaired in London and thought I would snap a picture of them before they head off as knowing my guy in London it will be a long - a very long - time before I see them again.

One is a Rolex Oysterdate. The other is a Jaeger. I'm not sure of the official name and date of the Jaeger and need to ask my dad about it as it is a handmedown from him. If anyone knows off the top of their head let me know!

Rolex and Jaeger by TomEats, on Flickr
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a huge fan of the Tag Heuer Monaco. The blue dial chronograph version lights my fire more than any other watch on the market. I tried to come close with this Tissot Quadrato. Not close enough. Let me know if anyone wants it. I am not enjoying it as much as I had hoped. Special price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window shopping for watches inHong Kong, and found the watch for the VSalonista that has everything. I can't find this thing on the Audmars website, which isn't too surprising considering the price tag (eqiv. $852K USD). I doubt they made many of them.

20130416_204248_resized.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    I am a huge fan of the Tag Heuer Monaco. The blue dial chronograph version lights my fire more than any other watch on the market. I tried to come close with this Tissot Quadrato. Not close enough. Let me know if anyone wants it. I am not enjoying it as much as I had hoped. Special price.
    I'm a huge fan as well. My amazing wife gave me one of these for our anniversary a couple years ago. Limited edition Heuer Monaco. I love the watch, and not just for sentimental reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did a case and band polish/refurbish today on this Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Squadra. Nice watch.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's one fantastic anniversary gift! I really like the dial color. I have come to the realization that if I want a watch that looks like a Monaco, I will have to get a crowbar in my wallet and just buy one. Enjoy the watch and not to ride your bike with it on. Mechanical watches hate bike rides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! The dial is awesome in person and the watch usually gets compliments. Way more than my other watch. I'd never do it, but I regularly joke with my wife that I'm going to start wearing the watch on rides or playing golf, but she doesn't find me funny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my square watch. I was concerned before I bought it that the size might be a bit garish on my wrist (about 7" even), but it vanishes when worn. When I started watch shopping I was initially drawn to more classic shapes and styles; also to dressier looking watches. But I had an epiphany one night, with the help of a glass of bourbon: Other than court appearances, I never get dressed up anymore. I decided to go for something bold and quirky. The B&R aviation watches resonated with me the first time I saw one and I still haven't tired of the look. The next purchase will be something more classic and subtle.

At work:
    watch.JPG

Typical day-to-day duty:
    watch2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2 things:

1. I just want to add my name to the list of satisfied customers of Jack Alexyon and International Watch Works for servicing my automatics. Just got my B&M Capeland back after a full service, minor repair and buffing, and it really looks and functions as new. He has a long waiting list, but can expedite for a fee, and I found the whole experience to be very good. His website is Home » IWW- Watch repair, restoration, PVD, DLC coating.

2. Does anyone have recommendations for a watch winder? Ideally looking for one that holds 3-4 watches and will last. Not looking for a showpiece (don't need burled walnut, etc.)

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack is the man for sure.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honus View Post
    Did a case and band polish/refurbish today on this Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Squadra. Nice watch.
    A real beaut' you have there! The Reverso is my ultimate dress watch. A little north of my price range today, but on the bucket list someday...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Email today from MKII about a recent break in at their workshop. If you see deal out there that is too good to be true...

More interesting, I have an LRRP but it's too big for me so I don't wear it often enough. Any thoughts on a proper watch that is better for smaller wrists? Something in that price range / class that looks good on a NATO strap?

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, that sux for Bill. How many units stolen?

Sticking with Yao for a moment, what about a MKII Vantage?

You looking to sell the LRRP? Post pics eh.
    laughter has no foreign accent.