User Tag List

Page 21 of 176 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

The broad arrow, was the first to bring the co-ax movement to the Omega line of sports watches. (i think)

That would be one of the exceptions to the auto speedys. Very nice watches!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the Governor wearing here?

ap_mitt_romney_parade_ll_120704_wblog.jpg

It looks like my Citizen, but 44mm instead of 42mm. A Bell & Ross perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    What is the Governor wearing here?

ap_mitt_romney_parade_ll_120704_wblog.jpg

It looks like my Citizen, but 44mm instead of 42mm. A Bell & Ross perhaps?
    In many of his photos, they've been identified as Citizen watches. Certainly doesn't want anything flashy as men of power for some reason are expected to act like every day Joe Sixpacks. Why so many Timex's in Congress? Its crazy.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Bringing this back to bikes, Fabian has been rocking IWC's.
    SPOTTED: Tour de France Leader Fabian Cancellara Wearing (Multiple) IWC's, While Actually Racing - Watches Worth Knowing About - HODINKEE
    Attachment 43560

This is part of why fabian is the man.
    -Joe
    I've mostly seen him with a Galapagos model, but more lately a few others. I thought he was an Ambassador for IWC or sponsored athlete though. I thought I recalled seeing an add in a magazine at one point. Either way - it's pretty f'ing cool.

Just like Mr. Sachs' RGM.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
    The broad arrow, was the first to bring the co-ax movement to the Omega line of sports watches. (i think)

That would be one of the exceptions to the auto speedys. Very nice watches!
    SpeedMaster is still on my short list. Thing is, this Seamaster is likely to outlive me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figured it out - a variation on this:

The Corporal SS | Men's Watches | Nixon Watches and Premium Accessories

The bracelet seals the deal. I love the idea of the Republican presidential candidate wearing a "Nixon" watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Why so many Timex's in Congress? Its crazy.
    I don't get it. If someone like Romney, who is kinda rich, wants to wear a decent watch, why not? Every time I see one of these guys with a Timex, and I can think about is John Edwards, sporting his Timex and a $400 haircut simultaneously. Give me a flowbee and an IWC anyday...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    SpeedMaster is still on my short list. Thing is, this Seamaster is likely to outlive me!

N+1 works with fine timepieces as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    I don't get it. If someone like Romney, who is kinda rich, wants to wear a decent watch, why not? Every time I see one of these guys with a Timex, and I can think about is John Edwards, sporting his Timex and a $400 haircut simultaneously. Give me a flowbee and an IWC anyday...
    Very different mentality than other countries. Most men in higher positions wear their nice pieces in public. But yes, I'd rather use a flowbee with an IWC on my wrist than a Timex and fancy haircut. Good analogy.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Very different mentality than other countries. Most men in higher positions wear their nice pieces in public. But yes, I'd rather use a flowbee with an IWC on my wrist than a Timex and fancy haircut. Good analogy.
    It seems that fine timepieces are becoming less common in the US, or maybe less accessible to the "common man" as prices go up. This trend probably makes politicians that much less likely to seem elitist by wearing a nice watch. I rarely see anything like a Rolex, IWC or Breitling around the office. Even less now than when I started at this company 6 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    It seems that fine timepieces are becoming less common in the US, or maybe less accessible to the "common man" as prices go up. This trend probably makes politicians that much less likely to seem elitist by wearing a nice watch. I rarely see anything like a Rolex, IWC or Breitling around the office. Even less now than when I started at this company 6 years ago.
    That's for sure. People see a nice watch and think "money$$$$" when a few months of their car payment would pay for the watch. Of my colleagues - no one has a nice watch that they've purchased. One has a gold rolex left from a dead grandfather. A former boss has an Oris because he's into race cars. Oh - another former co-worker has a Breitling and an Omega - but he never heard of Panerai when we discussed watches. And my wife works with a fair amount of high-end real estate. I've seen one Rolex Sub - that's it - otherwise - random cheap stuff or nothing at all. We've (US) become a techno-country reliant on mobile phones for time.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in a meeting with the CEO of my company, he was wearing a Rolex explorer ii. We talked watches he has quite the collection. Some people still know what's up!

I stopped in a local shop and saw a Breitling Titanium Aerospace Quartz used. I laughed it off because why pay so much for a quartz. But I have been thinking about how cool it is since!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out in Miami last weekend (that is very rare for me).

I must have seen maybe 15 Audemars Piguet Royal Oaks. A few Hublots. I doubt most of them know what's up either. Just buying whats hot and what the Heat wears.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any white ones?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    Any white ones?
    I believe I saw a Panda, yes. I was a little far from that person though and the glare from the crystal was obstructing the view. I think it was this.

I'm really not a big AP fan. But I do see the appeal in a very clean (no chrono) AP like this from Hodinkee.

Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    Any white ones?
    You talkin' 'bout the Hublot White Hot they gave the Heat players?

This for those that aren't familiar:

It's an incredibly ugly watch, IMO. But so are Royal Oaks to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah. No White Hot Hublots thank god. Those are horrible looking. I'm definitely not a Hublot fan. Miami is the Hublot capital of the world too.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone wants to sell their home and buy Steve McQueen's Monaco (allegedly, some are questioning the authenticity ) from the film LeMans, the bidding starts at 200K

For sale: Steve McQueen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    If anyone wants to sell their home and buy Steve McQueen's Monaco (allegedly, some are questioning the authenticity ) from the film LeMans, the bidding starts at 200K

For sale: Steve McQueen
    It would probably hold value better than my home. It's a great looking watch. I have one of the recent reissues of that model, with the Heuer only markings and crown on the left. I get more compliments and questions about it than anything else I've worn. Alas, this one is too rich for my blood.