User Tag List

Page 20 of 175 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Went by the local Tourneau again, since I have that aforementioned problem. They have a 5513 for sale. Two liner, looks like it's in good condition at first glance. Upon closer inspection, the hands have been replaced, and it looks like it has been relumed. Guessing by how shitty the dial looked, I'd bet on it. Of course, they didn't think it had been relumed, and they wanted 7.1K for it. Good luck with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    Went by the local Tourneau again, since I have that aforementioned problem. They have a 5513 for sale. Two liner, looks like it's in good condition at first glance. Upon closer inspection, the hands have been replaced, and it looks like it has been relumed. Guessing by how shitty the dial looked, I'd bet on it. Of course, they didn't think it had been relumed, and they wanted 7.1K for it. Good luck with that.
    $7K is pretty steep. You have to be careful with the movements on the older watches as well...especially if the sales folks don't really know what they're talking about and the watch looks to have some replacement parts. There could be a simple explanation, or that watch could have taken a beating. I've heard some pretty funny stories for why a watch is broken and in need of repair, most of them start with "I went to put it on and it was just like this," usually accompanied by a shattered crystal and a mangled dial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a place near here with a 5513 that they claim is in excellent condition - 1978 vintage. I've emailed them a couple of times w/ no response. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to check it out and report back here. I'll probably still seek out a nice 14060 though because I really don't want to baby the thing - even though I'm sure a 5513 will withstand plenty of desk jockey abuse.

Tourneau can be a joke.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The big "T", as they are often referred to, is one of the last places I would buy a pre-owned watch. I've looked quite a bit over the years, and, at least in my experience, their prices are unrealistically high, and the sales staff generally seems to know very little about the non-current line.

i did however get a killer deal on an [new] omega a few years ago from one of the Torneaus that was really struggling to make their numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Tourneau can be a joke.
    So true. They told me they had another "classic" sub that went for 10K recently. It was on a "fabric" band and was rare. When I asked about the dial, which was uhh, less than crisp, she said it was because it wasn't luminova lume...

They were happy to tell me about their finance plan, though. And in their defense, they tend to have at least one piece that makes me go oooh everytime I go in, even if that said piece is priced WAY above market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So true. They told me they had another "classic" sub that went for 10K recently. It was on a "fabric" band and was rare. When I asked about the dial, which was uhh, less than crisp, she said it was because it wasn't luminova lume...

They were happy to tell me about their finance plan, though. And in their defense, they tend to have at least one piece that makes me go oooh everytime I go in, even if that said piece is priced WAY above market.
    The only good thing I can say is that the people at the local Tourneau are friendly. Their selection isn't very good though.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone have any advise on finding a good priced (gently used fine) Omega Speedmaster? Am I correct that this watch hits a sweetspot in value/classic styling?

thoughts appericiated,

shaner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shanerpvt View Post
    does anyone have any advise on finding a good priced (gently used fine) Omega Speedmaster? Am I correct that this watch hits a sweetspot in value/classic styling?

thoughts appericiated,

shaner
    Well, the first thing is to determine which variation you want. "Moon" watch, reduced size, automatic, sapphire crystal sandwich version, etc, etc.

Since Omega hiked the prices last year, the price of a used one has risen dramatically. One good source is this guy on eBay, who must scour all of Japan for these things. If you check his feedback, you can see what the last few went for viewing his completed auctions.

Most 3570.50s, which are the bracleted versions of the "Moon" watch are going for 2.4-2.6K from him. I see one full size that went for 2K, but I've seen non-special edition ones go for as much as 2.8K from him.

The retail on the new ones are getting crazy now, somewhere over 4K for the strap version, but Jim at Continental Jewelers (mentioned earlier in the thread) could do better than that, esp. if you can pay him in cash and not have to pay credit card fees.

It's an incredible watch, for sure.

EDIT: Of course, watchuseek and Elite Deal Seeker are good sources, too, but I'm leery of dropping that much on a watch without doing some serious background checking on the person (not hard to do on some of the watch sites).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cody,

Thanks for the great info! Most of what i see from this seller are automatics. in you opionion do you feel like these or a seamaster is a big step down from the manual wind speedy?

Thanks again,
    shaner
    Last edited by shanerpvt; 06-22-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: refine question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cody,

Thanks for the great info! Most of what i see from this seller are automatics. in you opionion do you feel like these or a seamaster is a big step down from the manual wind speedy?

Thanks again,
    shaner
    Here I'll try! just my opinion, of course.

First off, you are comparing apples and pears, they are closer than apples and oranges.

I think you are asking about the Seamaster pro and not the dress watch.
    and I will use the moon watch for this.

The SMP co-ax; very fine watch. good movement very good case. Omega has worked out their problems with the movement.
    As good if not better than the moon watch speedy. I'll get to the other style Speedys is a min.
    SMP older. very good watch, a true workhorse. less money these days. IMO.= to Speedy.

Both these watches are different, both are 3 handed, and auto, with saph crystals.
    Most Moon watches have a chrono, plastic crystal, and are hand wound.

Now to the different styles of Speedy.
    I like the hand wind much better than most of the autos.
    The ETA 7750 in the autos, works, but the never feel really smooth and are most times noisy.
    The exception to this is a couple, the co-ax sec gen is a nice piece, as well as some of the older Mark 4 and such.
    The best of the lot of them is one with an 861, or 1861 movement and plastic crystal.
    The 321 movements are more collectable, but very hard to find parts for and most have been cobbled together or out and out faked.

As my friend Tom Kellogg always answers me. (Thanks Tom).
    Helps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
    Jr's awesome answer snipped..
    Can't really add anything after this! What an awesome explanation of these watches from a pro. And yes, the Seamasters go for lots less than the Speedmasters these days. Personally, my fav. Seamaster is the 2554.

One thing I will say, is that you should go try these things on and see them in person. I've e-liked some watches and didn't care for them in person (the opposite holds true, too).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys.

I really like this bike forum and have learned so much here about a hobby I really do enjoy.

It feels good to try and contribute something here, besides "great bike".

Thanks again for having this place.

Feel free to ask here, or PM me with any question you may have, and I'll gladly answer them to the best of my limited ablity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also; you may like this site;

An index of articles written by Chuck Maddox

chuck was the best on Omega and taught me a LOT about them;

Like Sheldon Brown, he is no longer with us, but his writting lives on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a TON to both Cody & JR!

Jr, i might shoot you a pm once I have digested this info.

Cheers,
    shaner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I will say, is that you should go try these things on and see them in person. I've e-liked some watches and didn't care for them in person (the opposite holds true, too).
    So very true. My favorite watch is one I didn't think I'd like at all from photos. And I recently came close to selling another for a newer version based on photos...until I tried it on and didn't like it even a fraction as much. Find an Omega dealer, try some watches on and see what looks/feels right before deciding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    So very true. My favorite watch is one I didn't think I'd like at all from photos. And I recently came close to selling another for a newer version based on photos...until I tried it on and didn't like it even a fraction as much. Find an Omega dealer, try some watches on and see what looks/feels right before deciding.
    Better to do the research first. Then cut down on what he needs/wants to look at.
    Then go find a dealer in his area. BTW; I have a good one somewhat close to him!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an Omega Speedy moon watch for a few months. It is a lovely watch, but I eventually replaced it with the Speedmaster Broad Arrow, which is an automatic. My issue was not actually having to wind the watch, it was the fact that the moon watch has no date, and I find myself using the date on my watch all the time without really registering that fact. The Broad Arrow (which was replaced with a newer version with a 24 hour GST hand, that one has 1957 on its dial) is a lovely watch and a definite keeper. Here was a side by side photo I took before I sold the moon watch.

PS I'd second working with Jim @ Continental, great guy!

Cody,

Thanks again,
    shaner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice Speedys. I'd love to pick on up one day. They've always been more appealing than seamasters (most of them) to me.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speedmaster is a great looking, classic watch. I agree about the Seamasters, with the exception of the planet ocean chrono. I really liked that model, but the new strap that fills in the space between the lugs just looks wrong. I think they did the same thing with some of the new Speedmaster straps as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Speedmaster is a great looking, classic watch. I agree about the Seamasters, with the exception of the planet ocean chrono. I really liked that model, but the new strap that fills in the space between the lugs just looks wrong. I think they did the same thing with some of the new Speedmaster straps as well.
    Yeah - I have to say with certainty that the bracelet kills the beauty of most Seamasters - at least to me.
    Auk's words to live by: