User Tag List

Page 18 of 175 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

^^ Beautiful face, although I probably would never wear that. Very very worldly looking though (pun might have been intended)
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4K+ for a 5513??

Watch head only?

I don't think so!

I'll sell you a 1998, 14060 with a full sized rolex bracelet for that!

That's like asking for 500. for this rare Schwinn Varsity, that need some TLC, and hasn't been ridden in years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try a non-bond Omega Seamaster 2254.50 -- you can find them for around $2k -- keep it on its bracelet or put it on a NATO and forget about it!

The subtle 'wave' pattern dial is killer.

I've worn my almost daily for 9 years -- just starting to run a bit slow. Awesome watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
    4K+ for a 5513??

Watch head only?

I don't think so!

I'll sell you a 1998, 14060 with a full sized rolex bracelet for that!

That's like asking for 500. for this rare Schwinn Varsity, that need some TLC, and hasn't been ridden in years.
    That 14060 in good (maybe great) condition? You wouldn't happen to want a Panerai 005 would you?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    That 14060 in good (maybe great) condition? You wouldn't happen to want a Panerai 005 would you?
    Yes and no!

The watch is in good to great condition, with a small ding on one end piece. Other than that, 100%
    Also I will give a 1 year warranty! I don't fix many watches these days, but I still can do any warranty work that I sell.

Sorry no more Pannys. Been there done that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and no!

The watch is in good to great condition, with a small ding on one end piece. Other than that, 100%
    Also I will give a 1 year warranty! I don't fix many watches these days, but I still can do any warranty work that I sell.

Sorry no more Pannys. Been there done that!
    Cool - I'm looking at options now. It would be great to find one at that price when I'm ready to buy - I'll be back!
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't fix many watches these days, but I still can do any warranty work that I sell.
    hey, i forgot you were the watch repair guru.

question: i daily wear my rolex ND Sub. I also take it in the pool/ocean practically all summer, including a few light diving trips (shallow stuff <100'). do you recommend i get it pressure tested annually, or forget about it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    hey, i forgot you were the watch repair guru.

question: i daily wear my rolex ND Sub. I also take it in the pool/ocean practically all summer, including a few light diving trips (shallow stuff <100'). do you recommend i get it pressure tested annually, or forget about it?
    I'm far from a watch guru, but thanks anyway.

That question is one that always vexes me.
    One one hand, It's a tool watch. That's why is was made and how it was designed.
    One the other hand, seals do fail, although rolex design and seals are some of the best made.

With a watch over 5 years old, I would take it and get it tested. It will more than likely be fine,
    BUT, it's kind of like riding without a tube/patch kit. Why risk it!

I have been shouted down here by saying this, but;
    DO NOT wear it in the shower! The heating and cooling inside the case can, and will/might create damage.
    I've seen it to many times.

YMMV!

And I could care less what the guys that sell watches say. EVERY watchmaker that I have ever talked to says the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DO NOT wear it in the shower! The heating and cooling inside the case can, and will/might create damage.
    Ruh-roh. What kind of damage? I wear my Explorer II in the shower at the gym almost every day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually this manifests as condensation inside the case- I see this quite often, especially if a screw down crown is loose. If you ever see condensation inside the dial take it to a reputable dealer immediately and they can remove the watch back and let the movement dry out, usually with no harm. I've seen quite a few watches with rusted insides.

Pressure testing a watch on a regular basis is not a bad idea, especially if you get your watch wet on a regular basis. We have pressure tester at my work and do this all the time- it's no big deal and it'll tell you right away if you have worn seals.

jr59- your inbox is full! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm far from a watch guru, but thanks anyway.

That question is one that always vexes me.
    One one hand, It's a tool watch. That's why is was made and how it was designed.
    One the other hand, seals do fail, although rolex design and seals are some of the best made.

With a watch over 5 years old, I would take it and get it tested. It will more than likely be fine,
    BUT, it's kind of like riding without a tube/patch kit. Why risk it!

YMMV!

And I could care less what the guys that sell watches say. EVERY watchmaker that I have ever talked to says the same thing.
    i'm with you, never wear mine in the shower. to be honest - the main reason is because when i used to soap residue would get in every nook and crack of the SS band and get nasty to clean.

thanks for the advice, the one i'm currently wearing is only a year old (gift for my first father's day!!), so i'll hold off on the pressure test for a few years at least. my Sea Dweller is almost 7 years old, and never been tested or apart. if i go back to daily wear on that one, maybe i'll have it pressure tested.

cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread as I'm looking for a timepiece. Nothing crazy, but I would like something worth keeping. I've been thinking about an Omega as well becuase it's not the usual Tag, etc that everyone defaults to when they spend a bit of coin on a watch. Anyone have a good recommendation for a dealer? I'm not looking to pay top price just to say I walked into such and such boutique and came out with it on my wrist.

TooTall - I admired your Omega at camp in Nellysford last month and was surprised to see you riding with it. I meant to compliment you on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honus View Post
    Usually this manifests as condensation inside the case- I see this quite often, especially if a screw down crown is loose. If you ever see condensation inside the dial take it to a reputable dealer immediately and they can remove the watch back and let the movement dry out, usually with no harm. I've seen quite a few watches with rusted insides.

Pressure testing a watch on a regular basis is not a bad idea, especially if you get your watch wet on a regular basis. We have pressure tester at my work and do this all the time- it's no big deal and it'll tell you right away if you have worn seals.

jr59- your inbox is full! :)
    thanks, fixed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    Nothing crazy, but I would like something worth keeping. I've been thinking about an Omega as well becuase it's not the usual Tag, etc that everyone defaults to when they spend a bit of coin on a watch.
    Which Omega are you looking at? The Speedmaster, mainly the "moonwatch," is a watch that will stand the test of time. A real classic. There are some great Tags too, though, depending on the style you're looking for. Some are much more common than others (same goes for pretty much every brand).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread as I'm looking for a timepiece. Nothing crazy, but I would like something worth keeping. I've been thinking about an Omega as well becuase it's not the usual Tag, etc that everyone defaults to when they spend a bit of coin on a watch. Anyone have a good recommendation for a dealer? I'm not looking to pay top price just to say I walked into such and such boutique and came out with it on my wrist.

TooTall - I admired your Omega at camp in Nellysford last month and was surprised to see you riding with it. I meant to compliment you on it.
    Jim at Continental Jewelers, who is referenced in this thread or another one here, was really nice and fain on $$ when I talked to him. He's based in DC, but no longer has a conventional storefront. If you're in DC, you can give them a call and they can let you up to their new small office where they have a fair amount of stuff on hand (its at K and Conneticut). If I hadn't got my Sinn, I would have bought a moonwatch from Jim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A local watch co is trying a horrible trade with me. Looks like I'll have to sell my Panerai privately before jumping into a Sub No Date. It was nice while the dream lasted for a day.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    Jim at Continental Jewelers, who is referenced in this thread or another one here, was really nice and fain on $$ when I talked to him. He's based in DC, but no longer has a conventional storefront. If you're in DC, you can give them a call and they can let you up to their new small office where they have a fair amount of stuff on hand (its at K and Conneticut). If I hadn't got my Sinn, I would have bought a moonwatch from Jim.
    Thanks. I'm in VA so I'll give him a try. Would it help you if I passed your name on so he knows I was a referral? PM me details if you like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    A local watch co is trying a horrible trade with me. Looks like I'll have to sell my Panerai privately before jumping into a Sub No Date. It was nice while the dream lasted for a day.
    No worries mate.

They are around. It's not like they quit making them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I'm in VA so I'll give him a try. Would it help you if I passed your name on so he knows I was a referral? PM me details if you like.
    I doubt he'd remember me, so passing on my name prolly wouldn't help. I told him a friend recommended him on a message board. I think it's basically all repeat customers at this point, since you can't just walk up to the shop anymore. Being in VA will help, since he will ship the watch to you so you don't have to pay sales tax. You'll get a better price paying cash, and avoiding the CC fees.

I can't remember the exact number, but I want to say he said he pre-sold around 40 of the new POs when they were announced (this also corresponded to the time that Omega announced their fairly hefty price hike last year).

Not sure what kind of price you could get on it, but Tourneau in the Pentagon City mall might have a used PO, or be able to get you a used one from another store.