Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

I've got to ask what that cost overall and per square foot. Impressive building.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I've got to ask what that cost overall and per square foot. Impressive building.
    Gah....I used to know that number. I want to say it was around $220-230/sq.ft (around $80M total). It was pre-covid induced inflation, folks would LOVE to build a fancy school for that same price today!

This county has a SPLOT tax that funds construction/renovations for their school system, and most of the ATL airport is in their county, so they're able to build some really impressive stuff.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 03-05-2024 at 01:49 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw that Morrow HS with P+W, and thought that new one had a similar sorta feel/ "design language". I like their stuff....just dug through our jobs and can only find a single HS that was a reno.

In general, our schools tend to be a lot more disjointed and....well, prison-like.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Gah....I used to know that number. I want to say it was around $220-230/sq.ft (around $80M total). It was pre-covid induced inflation, folks would LOVE to build a fancy school for that same price today!

This county has a SPLOT tax that funds construction/renovations for their school system, and most of the ATL airport is in their county, so they're able to build some really impressive stuff.
    That was a deal. Beautiful work. Chapeau.

I can't believe what materials cost these days. A local builder, doing the work himself, couldn't get below $300/foot on a house for himself here in MA.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post

Impressive! Florida is so proud of our lack of state income tax and low municipal taxes. Our schools are in worse shape than our prisons. So, you know, I guess it's a fair tradeoff.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commercial construction inflation/escalation whatever you want to call it, has collectively increased in most major markets between 38-45% since 2018…the biggest spike was between 2020-2022. Some materials are easier to procure, but anything mechanical/electrical related…RTU’s, switchgear, generators, etc…requires an early award/procurement strategy or the whole project will be out of sequence….crazy stuff. School boards that haven't built in a while are in sticker shock and even with a renovation project, one has to get out of the comfort zone, and purchase equipment well in advance of needing it. I predict an avalanche of legal claims for extended general conditions, liquidated damages and delay claims if a design/construction/owner team isn’t in synch with this type of procurement strategy.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's bring this back to watches...The circle of life of a watch collector.

Circle of Watch Collecting.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Timepieces

Back to watches, I'm getting another G-Shock. When it's released I'm going to buy the watch on the right and swap the bezel for the one in the middle (or one very very similar, I've already ordered the bezel).

My little girl will love it, my wife will hate it. That's the sweet spot of fun. And if the pink turns out to be too much I can swap it out for a black bezel to turn down the volume.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Let's bring this back to watches...The circle of life of a watch collector.

Circle of Watch Collecting.JPG
    oh snap, I resemble that comment! (except Japanese)
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    oh snap, I resemble that comment! (except Japanese)
    We could go down a rabbit hole of altering this circle for each person and/or add more stops along the journey.
    fashion watch > cheap quartz > Seiko > Micro Brands > Entry Swiss > Luxury Swiss/German/Japanese/etc. > High Accuracy Quartz > then back to the start

I started at cheap quartz (Swatch) and am now 30 years later "almost" at HAQ (Grand Seiko).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like the man said, back to watches - picked this one up to honor the new job where I'll get to care for some of the first chronometers in the hemisphere.

This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does that feel on your wrist? Looks like it might reduce your weight belt on a scuba dive—which is to say, I like it.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    How does that feel on your wrist? Looks like it might reduce your weight belt on a scuba dive—which is to say, I like it.
    Jaqcues_Cousteau_Omega_Marine_Chronometer.jpg

You feel it, but it's no worse than most modern dive watches on a bracelet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaudy but I like it.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Gaudy but I like it.
    What's not to like: looks good, is inexpensive (relative to what you think a watch should cost), is well made, and is quartz. The strap can be too hard for some people's taste. I often replace it with this 20mm strap: https://www.blusharkstraps.com/colle...er-watch-bands

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish more Citizen models would accept a 22mm strap. I prefer that to a 20.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Gaudy but I like it.
    Ditto, but I like the 38mm version better (for my tiiny wrist).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    The strap can be too hard for some people's taste.
    I rarely keep OEM straps. Replaced the NATO strap on my NOS Stocker and Yale Type 6 SandY P650 with a 22mm Maratac Silicone Zulu and really like that. Funny, my favorite strap is made by Garmin of all places. I have two of these 20mm silicone straps on my Maratac (Quartz) Mid Central Second Pilot watches. Really a super nice strap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants View Post
    Ditto, but I like the 38mm version better (for my tiiny wrist).
    I rarely keep OEM straps. Replaced the NATO strap on my NOS Stocker and Yale Type 6 SandY P650 with a 22mm Maratac Silicone Zulu and really like that. Funny, my favorite strap is made by Garmin of all places. I have two of these 20mm silicone straps on my Maratac (Quartz) Mid Central Second Pilot watches. Really a super nice strap.
    Yeah definitely. Small is better. I like that those Garmin straps come with two different length buckle sides. Watch bands usually fit me just short of Hermes double wrap. I have the watch on an orange Maratec fabric strap and it is permanently stained with various substances (NFS, tractor grease, hydraulic oil, pine pitch, blood etc) now that I cannot get out. So...
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue is that I have a 7.75" wrist so "stock" straps rarely fit unless it is a longer "diver" strap but sometimes even those do not work (i.e Hamilton Navy Scuba watch has a normal length strap as if it was a dress watch...so weird). Thankfully enough 3rd party companies make 20amm and 22mm XL length straps.