User Tag List

Page 17 of 175 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Here's my experience from some old-time jewelers.

about 25+ years ago I bought myself a Rolex. Why? Because a Rolex was cool and Jackie Stewart owned a Rolex. I had it rebuilt about five years into wearing it.I sold the Rolex about the time it was ready for the second rebuild. I was not too impressed with Rolex. I mentioned this to a jeweler at a trade show. He had been in the watch business for about forty five years. I told him the Rolex story. His rely was, "You don't want a Rolex. Rolex never made a superlative movement. What you want is an Omega. They are the best watches."

A few years later I was talking to a friend of mine who had also been a jeweler for about forty five years. I also told him the Rolex story. His reply? "Oh, you don't want a Rolex! For one Rolex never made a superlative movement. if you want a good mechanical watch then you should buy an Omega." Interestingly enough I was later with my friend the jeweler at a yard sale. Among the small items on a shelf was a plastic watch box with an omega on the lid. Probably empty. I opened the box and inside was an Omega that was awarded as a retirement gift. It was almost new. The price was $10. I asked if the woman conducting the sale would take $5 for it. She was firm on $10. I pulled out all my cash. "Well, all I have is $7 will that do?" I walked away with an almost new Omega for $7, and it has worked flawlessly for the past fifteen years.

-Max

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paging Billrick -- the no-date Sub is back:
    OFFICIAL ROLEX WEBSITE - Timeless Luxury Watches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    Hum. Good timeless piece.

My GMT master never lets me down and with the travel I do the second time zone is very useful. Service it once every 10 years and you are good to go.

I used to alternate it with a Breitling Chronomat, my son now wears this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are too kind. But i kind of prefer the old models. Something about the patina of a beat up bezel that speaks to me. The new ceramic one is immune to battle scars. And the glidelock bracelet is wasted on me - I've adjusted my current bracelet maybe once in 10 years!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    You are too kind. But i kind of prefer the old models. Something about the patina of a beat up bezel that speaks to me. The new ceramic one is immune to battle scars. And the glidelock bracelet is wasted on me - I've adjusted my current bracelet maybe once in 10 years!
    with you 100%. ND Sub, all day, every day. timeless classic that just looks better with age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

snipped: Something about the patina of a beat up bezel that speaks to me.
    Amen brother. Was in AutoZone picking up wiper blades yesterday and noticed the salesman had a 6309 with some serious wabi. Brother is the original owner and has been wearing that thing everyday for over 25 years.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the wabi, too. But in the Rolex world, jeez, street cred gets expensive real fast. Gotta start saving for a GMT Master in the next couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But in the Rolex world, jeez, street cred gets expensive real fast.
    GMT Master = drool! You want the Pepsi.

Don't be afraid of the non-ceramic bezels. A replacement bezel insert costs something like $50 at an authorized service center. No biggy. I think Rolex went ceramic just so they could: 1) charge more for the watch up front and 2) stop losing money on the replacement bezels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does a new Sub no date cost?

I'm thinking about selling my Panerai and Baume & Mercier for something else.

The new sub no date looks nice .... and I've always wanted a JLC Master Compressor.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Sub No Date costs in the $7k range, IIRC. Haven't fondled one in the store yet. A new watch won't be in the budget for a very long time. But if I find a good deal on a lightly used 14060M, look out.

Speaking of Sub patina, here is a fun photo from the great Hodinkee blog (1972 vs. 2012):

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Sub No Date costs in the $7k range, IIRC. Haven't fondled one in the store yet. A new watch won't be in the budget for a very long time. But if I find a good deal on a lightly used 14060M, look out.

Speaking of Sub patina, here is a fun photo from the great Hodinkee blog (1972 vs. 2012):
    What's the approx. going rate on a 70s sub? I know if you keep going back in time you get into the "should I buy this watch or a modest house" discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i personally dont care for the increased size of the new ceramic models, 14060 is the pinnacle - for me, at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F me. A local watch place has an as new previous gen Sub no date for $5K. Might conjure up a trade.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i personally dont care for the increased size of the new ceramic models, 14060 is the pinnacle - for me, at least.
    yeah, I found a Ref 14060 A. pretty minimal/clean looking.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the approx. going rate on a 70s sub? I know if you keep going back in time you get into the "should I buy this watch or a modest house" discussion.
    The 70's subs go for $5-7k, with the Steve McQueen model going much higher. MilSubs are "modest house" territory. I haven't kept up with Sub lore and sales like I used to, but IIRC, the mid-70s is a cut off point between the early Sub models and the later, more modern Subs. Rolex hasn't changed the Sub model as much as some others over the years, so you can usually find a good specimen of just about any variation if you keep looking around.

I agree with AngryScientist, the 14060 is the peak. I like the two-liners, non COSC certified. Classic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just got a couple of nice used subs in the shop- one is a '98 and the other is a 2005. Both are in really nice condition (the '98 is slightly better- it's the one on the left) with boxes and all papers. If anyone is interested in one just message me.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone wants to buy me this, I wouldn't say no.
    496958208_o.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone wants to buy me this, I wouldn't say no.
    496958208_o.jpg
    That is what I am currently seeking - although for just a tad more, you can get one w/ the bracelet. I'd probably change to a strap, but always nice to have the bracelet. I just need to make funds available .. grr.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    That is what I am currently seeking - although for just a tad more, you can get one w/ the bracelet. I'd probably change to a strap, but always nice to have the bracelet. I just need to make funds available .. grr.
    If I had 4.9K available for a watch, I'd probably get this one from the same seller. I don't have anywhere near the funds for it at this time. Wish I did.

533182423_o.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got in this Breitling Transocean Chrono Unitime- It didn't even last 24 hours in the store before it was sold. I'm not a huge fan of the mesh bracelet though...

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss