User Tag List

Page 169 of 175 FirstFirst ... 159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175 LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

My Swiss Army watch battery died. Luckily my son has a few watches and lent me this one. I'm hoping he forgets I have it.IMG_1639.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not into fancy watches (or watches at all). Once upon a time, my most treasured possession was a Seiko Automatic 5 Jewel, but that watch met a sad demise (smacked the clock face against a chair). I do wear one these days when traveling, but it's merely utilitarian.

But this moonphase of the famed Dutch cartoon bunny Miffy (Nijntje) is something else. Limited production watch with just the right amount of whimsy. Part of me would really like to wear it along with my Miffy t-shirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh dear. My kid is a Miffy nut.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a Trafford recently. I love the dial color, the shape of the case, and the hands. The color of the strap goes well with the dial, too.

MAR00390 copy.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I got the automatic with a Miyota 9039 but it also is available with a Seiko quartz movement.

https://www.traffordwatchco.com/stor...dernales-f4j5x

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you from Austin? If not, how did you discover Trafford?

I love what he's done with these Crossroads. Also like the fact that Crossroads is the name of a "saloon"/ bar in Fredericksburg.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Are you from Austin? If not, how did you discover Trafford?

I love what he's done with these Crossroads. Also like the fact that Crossroads is the name of a "saloon"/ bar in Fredericksburg.
    I bought the watch from someone who lives in Austin. He's a collector that buys a lot of watches at first glance, then sells what doesn't make the 'must keep' list.

The Crossroads is really nice except the rotor is a bit noisy but I think that's just a Miyota thing.

In cycling news, I went out for a ride and just a few miles down the road my rear tire started spraying. sealant. I stopped and counted 3 leaks in the back tire; one didn't look like it would seal and the front tire had already gotten my spare tube. My last line of defense was a patch kit but the patches were old and fell apart on me. I made it back to the car on a half-flat tire that appeared sealed but I knew it was just a ruse to get me 20 miles from nowhere and then have the tire die on me.

I'll ride my fixie around town tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    I bought the watch from someone who lives in Austin. He's a collector that buys a lot of watches at first glance, then sells what doesn't make the 'must keep' list.

The Crossroads is really nice except the rotor is a bit noisy but I think that's just a Miyota thing.

In cycling news, I went out for a ride and just a few miles down the road my rear tire started spraying. sealant. I stopped and counted 3 leaks in the back tire; one didn't look like it would seal and the front tire had already gotten my spare tube. My last line of defense was a patch kit but the patches were old and fell apart on me. I made it back to the car on a half-flat tire that appeared sealed but I knew it was just a ruse to get me 20 miles from nowhere and then have the tire die on me.

I'll ride my fixie around town tomorrow.
    Miyota movements are louder but they're durable as heck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oceanus! Titanium, sapphire, quick adjust clasp, solar, radio controlled, dual time, etc etc etc.

Last edited by dgaddis; 10-31-2023 at 11:58 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took this Tudor Pelagos FXD home the other day. It is slowly becoming my new favorite.

IMG_5351.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First bronze watch. First meteorite dial. Dig it. Will be interesting to see how it changes over time.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    First bronze watch. First meteorite dial. Dig it. Will be interesting to see how it changes over time.

Huh, interesting. I was just looking at a replacement wedding band made by Jacob Albee that uses meteorite material. Would need a plainer version that what is shown on his website, but I like the look of the material. My original (Gary Helfrich!) titanium band now requires quite a bit of patience and careful pulling (NFS helps!) to get off due to arthritis in the knuckle.

https://jacobalbee.com/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Huh, interesting. I was just looking at a replacement wedding band made by Jacob Albee that uses meteorite material. Would need a plainer version that what is shown on his website, but I like the look of the material. My original (Gary Helfrich!) titanium band now requires quite a bit of patience and careful pulling (NFS helps!) to get off due to arthritis in the knuckle.

https://jacobalbee.com/
    Wow, that's some unique stuff. His use of the meteorite in those bracelets is badass.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying out a (new to me) Zulu Diver Octopod strap system on my Tudor FXD.

A little annoying to setup. Very comfortable. Cool clasp. Many strap options. Cost depends on how much you think a strap/clasp should cost: $82 clasp, $12 straps. Was looking for a non-OEM strap because they cost $170 to replace and I have heard they get stinky fast no matter how much you wash them. The Velcro also wears out quickly on the OEM strap I have read/heard.

***** If I ultimately decide it is not a great fit/use for this fixed lug watch, the octopod will be transferred to another watch because it is very comfortable and actually fits my 7.75" wrist.

IMG_5445.jpgIMG_5446.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of those, but the clasp looks gigantic and I don't think it would work well for my with my 6.75" wrist.

Don't forget Erika's can make a FXD specific strap in any of their models you like.

EDIT to add: Recently sold off a bunch of pieces and hope to pick one of these up, seeing about getting a pre-order in for it....will move on my current Oceanus if I'm successful.

Last edited by dgaddis; 11-28-2023 at 04:10 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really been debating an Octopod. dig the idea.

recently bought a knock-off FXD case from a brand called Tactical Frog. Slapped an NH35 movement in it. then promptly knocked the bezel off, like i did with my Pelagos. thought it was ironic, given that the only 2 watches i've damaged have been ti, and the damage was bezels.

in other news, putting watches together is really kinda relaxing. like wheelbuilding. think i did something like 15 via AliExpress builds, then 'graduated' to TokeiLabs and DLW where I'm at 6. Love being able to pick out crystal shapes, bezel insert styles, and unique hands, and etc etc. And regulating. Put together an SKX turtle for wifey, and an SKX 'slim sub' for the boy that i'll be handing over at Christmas time.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I like the idea of those, but the clasp looks gigantic and I don't think it would work well for my with my 6.75" wrist.

Don't forget Erika's can make a FXD specific strap in any of their models you like.

EDIT to add: Recently sold off a bunch of pieces and hope to pick one of these up, seeing about getting a pre-order in for it....will move on my current Oceanus if I'm successful.
    It's the pic that makes the clasp look bigger than it is. If you google it, they have a version 2 which I have and it is significantly smaller than the original.

Never loved the Erika's but I also tried it on a top heavy watch (before the FXD) so that may have been the issue.

Get an FXD. It already has me selling off many other diver/sport/field watches that I no longer wear. I may even sell my Sub Date I love the FXD so much.

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    really been debating an Octopod. dig the idea.

recently bought a knock-off FXD case from a brand called Tactical Frog. Slapped an NH35 movement in it. then promptly knocked the bezel off, like i did with my Pelagos. thought it was ironic, given that the only 2 watches i've damaged have been ti, and the damage was bezels.

in other news, putting watches together is really kinda relaxing. like wheelbuilding. think i did something like 15 via AliExpress builds, then 'graduated' to TokeiLabs and DLW where I'm at 6. Love being able to pick out crystal shapes, bezel insert styles, and unique hands, and etc etc. And regulating. Put together an SKX turtle for wifey, and an SKX 'slim sub' for the boy that i'll be handing over at Christmas time.
    I am picky as heck about straps. Only started using them a few years ago (previous 30 years was bracelet only). The Octopod is that good IMHO.

The funny think about the Tactical Frog is that many actual FXD owners like the strap ($29) better than the original Tudor version ($170). Unfortunately they do not make it in L or XL for me.

I blame my brother for getting me into Seiko modding a few years ago though I never do the work myself. I do not have the desire. I like choosing the parts, sending it off to someone else to build, and then enjoying the final product. For me it was in this order: Dagaz, DLW, CrysTal times, Namoki, and then Tokei Labs. Now, I just source from all of them depending on what I need/want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a CrystalTimes build coming. Their “mini Turtle”, based on the SKX013. Hope to build it this weekend.

As of now, I really, really dig DLW cases paired with their fitted rubber Monstraps. Super clean. My Pelagos and ExpII w/ Smarty Endlinks really spoiled me with fitted straps/ endlinks.

If you can find a TF strap, give it a whirl. Attached are pictures of my 7 3/8” wrist with the TF strap. I really prefer my straps to be loose…example - 8” bracelet is uncomfortably snug to me. The Velcro lines up right in line. Assuming it’s longer than the FXD strap. I’m legitimately surprised that this TF strap is as long as it is. I hate shopping for straps. So many….like, almost all, are too short.

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sold off a few "builds" already but these remain (for now). If anyone is interested I would sell any of them but not the SKX011 because it was the first and has been through several iterations so it has sentimental value. A downside is when I totaled what I spent on all of them, I probably could have had 1 (more) nice Tudor.

Seiko SNZH55 - Blancpain Fifty-Five Fathoms homage (based off a Seiko 5, hence the extra Five in the name; NH35 movement, Crystal Times sapphire crystal, Dagaz dial)
    SNZH FFF strap 430 - close up.jpg

Seiko SKX011 (crystal times case, CT crystal, Dagaz hands, LIW full lume ceramic bezel, Seiko NE15/6R15 movement converted to date and day)
    SKX011 v3 - 04 - New Crystal Times Case.jpg

Seiko SKX173 (crystal times case, CT crystal, DLW ceramic bezel, Seiko NE15/6R15 movement converted to date and day)
    * out getting LIW full lume ceramic bezel installed
    SKX173 - 07.jpg

Seiko SKXA35 (crystal times case, CT crystal, LIW MM hands, LIW full lume bezel, Seiko NE15/6R15 movement converted to date and day)
    * out getting original OEM hands installed (similar to SKX173) which are different color lume than SKX007/009 OEM hands - did not like lume color of LIW hands
    LOYI1896.jpg

Seiko Explorer (AliExress parts so probably not genuine except for the actual NH38 movement, no such thing as a real Seiko Explorer)
    * white dial is mine, green dial is my brother's
    Seiko Field.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new Oceanus is arriving tomorrow. So who wants to buy my OCW-T4000??? How's a vSalon special of $550 shipped sound?? Details on the e-bay listing :: https://www.ebay.com/itm/305308780130

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thing rules.

Last edited by dgaddis; 12-13-2023 at 02:39 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com