User Tag List

Page 167 of 175 FirstFirst ... 157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175 LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 3484

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

I've been itching for an everyday beater watch but wanted something a bit unique. Queue up a G-Shock 5000U made in Japan with a metal case, screw back, nicer band, etc for not *that* much more monies.

A plug for a nice place to deal with is https://www.seiyajapan.com/ that sells some unique stuff from Japan, really well packaged, nice little follow up note cards and generally just good vibes to conduct commerce.

IMG_7116.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ready for a week at the beach!

C6754F2F-B6DC-4DD3-A569-5B0BC94D44E5.jpg

My trusty mini turtle on a Jubilee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by einreb View Post
    I've been itching for an everyday beater watch but wanted something a bit unique. Queue up a G-Shock 5000U made in Japan with a metal case, screw back, nicer band, etc for not *that* much more monies.

A plug for a nice place to deal with is https://www.seiyajapan.com/ that sells some unique stuff from Japan, really well packaged, nice little follow up note cards and generally just good vibes to conduct commerce.

Thanks for the link. This one is really nice.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by einreb View Post

IMG_7116.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg
    Interesting...I have an original (solar/wave-receptor) that looks just like this from the front but I wonder why you would need the screw back? Is it servicable, and why would you? Does it sit up higher on the wrist than a regular one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Thanks for the link. This one is really nice.

I have the PMD56-2952, same watch but non-DLC case/bracelet, white markers/hands instead of the faux-patina on the DLC version. GREAT watch. Great quick adjust clasp too. Radio control only works in Japan tho.

Same clasp as this watch :: https://imgur.com/gallery/Sz6Gbv1

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEasley View Post
    Interesting...I have an original (solar/wave-receptor) that looks just like this from the front but I wonder why you would need the screw back? Is it servicable, and why would you? Does it sit up higher on the wrist than a regular one?
    It's better made. The spring bars in yours fit into a resin case, these fit into a steel case that's much more durable. Same for the screws that attach the bezel cover to the case. The resin used for the bezel and strap is also better, it's much more supple and comfortable. Yours is more plastic feeling, the GW-5000 is more rubber feeling. That said, you don't need it. Also, the strap from this one will fit yours, so if you wanted a cheap upgrade to make yours more comfy it's available.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    It's better made. The spring bars in yours fit into a resin case, these fit into a steel case that's much more durable. Same for the screws that attach the bezel cover to the case. The resin used for the bezel and strap is also better, it's much more supple and comfortable. Yours is more plastic feeling, the GW-5000 is more rubber feeling. That said, you don't need it. Also, the strap from this one will fit yours, so if you wanted a cheap upgrade to make yours more comfy it's available.
    Agree on all points. Its my understanding that the watch is a touch thicker, but its not anything that stands out to me and I prefer smaller watches. There is a bit more weight to it that I like and the overall tactile feel is just nice to me. I also *think* the light may be improved over the standard model?

Of course none of that is all that important and the cheapest solar radio g-shock will tell perfect time forever just as well. I'm probably wearing it 4-5 days a week so that 'feel' is worth the bump from $120 to $250...

Edit: You can get a lot of that 'JDM' stuff straight from amazon or other sellers on ebay but dealing with Seiya Japan is worth a couple extra bucks and I'm generally *really* cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lotsa square nerds will argue that the GW-5000 is *the* ultimate/best square. The light is the same, but yours being the updated 'U' model means it has an LED light instead of the green 'EL' light on the older ones, but they've all moved to the LED now.

I'll second Seiya as a seller, they have a great reputation. I bought this one from them. GW-S5600U - the lightest square. I changed the bezel and strap though, went to an all black bezel and the combi bracelet that's super comfy. Sure, a standard GW-M5610 would have worked just as well for only $100, but I'm not a fan of all the extra color on the crystal and as a watch nerd I like the sneaky cool appeal of the titanium caseback no one else will ever see haha. https://www.seiyajapan.com/collectio...g-gw-s5600-1jf

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool GShock. My daily/beater is a GWM5610.

A friend recently returned from Tokyo where he picked up an MRG5000BA-1. It's extraordinary. I'm sorry I don't have a pic of it to post. He said with the lack of sales tax and the value of the dollar vs the yen, it was *too* expensive ... debatable, but wicked cool watch regardless.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MRG's are pretty sweet, and I wouldn't mind having one one day, but they are $$$$$$$ and they're all too big for my scrawny wrist. But they're awesome.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You kids and your video game wristicators.

I've never been able to glance at a digital watch and see what time it is. My brain needs a clock face - and not a digital clock face. Something about the 3D surface makes sense to my brain. Probably the result of a government experiment conducted earlier in my life, but there it is.

Then again, I remember digital watches when they were ugly 1/2" thick biscuits and had red LED read outs on the face (my dad had a monstrous Pulsar) so there might be some aesthetic thing working there too.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been able to glance at a digital watch and see what time it is.
    A watch/clock dial (hour/minute/second hands) is a pretty amazing thing in terms of design and simplicity.

You got me to thinking about how I look at my video game wristicator... I'm pretty sure I focus on the middle digit (tens of minutes) and then 'pick up' the full value in the paracentral vision? The more I think about it, the weirder it gets. :)
    Bernie Hosey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You kids and your video game wristicators.

I've never been able to glance at a digital watch and see what time it is. My brain needs a clock face - and not a digital clock face. Something about the 3D surface makes sense to my brain. Probably the result of a government experiment conducted earlier in my life, but there it is.

Then again, I remember digital watches when they were ugly 1/2" thick biscuits and had red LED read outs on the face (my dad had a monstrous Pulsar) so there might be some aesthetic thing working there too.
    Ha, Hamilton makes that watch right now. Retail is over $700!!! Another example, for me, why Swiss quartz watches make no sense to me compared to what the Japanese are making, you get so many more features and better tech : solar power, radio controlled, perpetual calendar, stop watch, countdown timers, world time - all features not found on this Hamilton, but found on the G-Shock I'm wearing (also pictured below) that I paid ~$360 for.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-us/...al-quartz.html

Last edited by dgaddis; 04-07-2023 at 12:31 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    MRG's are pretty sweet, and I wouldn't mind having one one day, but they are $$$$$$$ and they're all too big for my scrawny wrist. But they're awesome.
    I remember the early LED watches; you had to push a button to see the time.

One of my cousin's daughters (second cousin?) got detention in high school for using her cellphone at the wrong time. Her defense? She only wanted to know what time is was.

I "watch shamed" my nephew recently. He was wearing his new Rolex Explorer but when I asked him what time it was, he reached for his cellphone. Damn.

There are a lot of cool G-Shocks and then there's the "Invicta-esque" side where more is just not enough. I like the more understated ones, see no reason for the monstrosities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    I remember the early LED watches; you had to push a button to see the time.

I had a Pulsar LED watch back in the 70's, but it broke years ago, the display died, but I hated that thing anyways, you couldn't see the time in broad daylight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G-Shock 5000U inbound from Japan. I've been wearing an Apple Watch SE 99% of the time for the last 6 months, starting to get frustrated by some of its quirks for displaying the time at glance. Never had a G-Shock so looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    G-Shock 5000U inbound from Japan. I've been wearing an Apple Watch SE 99% of the time for the last 6 months, starting to get frustrated by some of its quirks for displaying the time at glance. Never had a G-Shock so looking forward to it.
    Cool. I hope you like it as much as I like mine. I ended up swapping out the strap for this bracelet... https://www.seiyajapan.com/collectio...gw-m5610bc-1jf and have been really happy with the combination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocked my GMW-B5000 most of the weekend while doing a lot of work around the house.

Back to the BB58 for the work week tho.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got an email from MB&F/ MAD Gallery stating "the draw has been favorable" to me. Super duper duper excited about this.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to belly up to bar again. The blue dial daytona was retailed last year. It was the watch to get because a few celebs had these. I am curious if this will actually sell for this.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...um-chronograph

or you can get a tiffany dial submariner.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...eference-16800