User Tag List

Page 162 of 174 FirstFirst ... 152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,240 of 3464

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I really *LOVE* the Dominos signed Rolexs, such a great combination of trash and classy all wrapped up in one package.
    Some of them even had a little extra jewelry attached to the bracelet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) It's a known problem with the ETA2824/Selita SW200/etc. and other clones based on the original ETA2824 design, It's not just CW. I recently sent an Oris ProPilot back to factory repair for the issue and they will not cover it because I am literally a few days out of warranty. I contacted customer service and they told me tough luck. I'm waiting for the day my Oris Aquis dies the same death.

Do I spend $500 to repair via factory service what is essentially a throw away movement on a watch that only cost $1,600 new? The factory repair tech states they do "special stuff" to make sure it meets factory specs which I think is a bunch of BS because Oris even claims they DO NOT regulate movements. I even called him out on the cost of repair versus a new movement but he stood his ground about the repair and factory spec BS being the better choice. The worst rub, it will take 3 months.

Or, do I send it to the guy who modifies Seiko watches for me because he can get an SW200 (used by Oris and CW) for about $189 and install it for about $75. It's basically swapping the hands, dial, and Oris rotor. My takeaway is no more watches with ETA2824 (or clone) movements*. This option will take 2 weeks.

2) IMHO, all bracelets are crap unless made by Rolex. Nothing even comes close. Maybe Omega. Have you experienced the crap Grand Seiko puts on all of their watches? And, I am sure you know that 95% of bracelets from all manufacturers are made in China (even most of the big expensive brands too). I hate pin and collar systems because I always end up losing one of the parts. I like screws with a dab of locktite and you are done.

If I remember correctly, Rolex dos make one which is only available on the Sea Dweller. Tudor has one on the Pelagos that maybe technically is not quick-adjust but it has a spring adjustment which "gives" while on the wrist so it automagically gets bigger and smaller as needed. Zodiac has a similar spring mechanism bracelet feature on many of their divers.

Oris makes a decent quick adjust clasp I have on my Oris Aquis but interestingly they only offer it on the rubber strap (not bracelet) versions of their watches which is why I got it. As to what the others make, Seiko does make a few but they are often every flimsy/cheap; IMHO, Citizen and most of the micro brands offer the same crap. I agree with you, either make a good one or leave it off.

* I attached a video from the brand director at Selita. I found it interesting up until the point he claimed the issue with the winding mechanism was solved a long time ago.
    @Matthew Strongin any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Christopher Ward makes great looking pieces, I'm on my 2nd one, a 36mm 'Sealander'. But there are a few issues to know about:

1 - They seem to have an incredibly high (relative to others) failure rate on their Sellita movements. It's a somewhat common issue w/the winding mechanism but seems way more common with CW, my first one had the issue. The newer one feels much smoother when winding, tho I do avoid winding it much after the first one broke.

2 - They went backwards on their bracelets recently. My first Sealander (the 39mm version) had a pin and collar bracelet, which I personally prefer. The new one had screws, but the first itteration required two screw drivers to loosen/tighten a single screw. I think they fixed that on the updated version. But the new quick adjust clasp is worse than the old one. The old one had a ratcheting mechanism, so you could tighten it on the fly without having to open the clasp, you just push the bracelet into the clasp and it would click in. To loosen it you had to open the clasp to access the mechanism. The new clasp is longer, really long, too long IMO, and no longer has the ratchet, so you have to open the clasp to adjust it either direction.

I don't understand why no one in Switzerland can make a quick adjust clasp as good as the Japanese. Rolex, Tudor, Monta, Christopher Ward, you name it - they all require opening the clasp to adjust the mechanism in at least one direction. Casio, Seiko, and Citizen all make clasps you can both tighten and loosen while the watch is on your wrist without having to open the clasp, see some examples below.

All that said, CW does make really great looking pieces. And if you do have an issue with the movement they'll fix it, just know the watch will be gone about two months or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combat Subby today

combat.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to be banned, but this is a relatively cheap Hamilton Jazzmaster Quartz watch, cost $300 on sale, it's not a Garmin/Gshock/Apple that have been my daily for years, it's my first non-plastic watch that just does just one thing that keeps me grounded during my workday. I like the look of the dial that feels like an adult watch, but not trying to be a pretend astronaut/deep sea explorer/F1 racerboy/or military officer in an epic conflict. I have a complicated relationship with time so I like the weight on my wrist that acts as a reminder of what's left of my day, and lack of distractions with opening my phone. The movement is mass produced, superior technology instead of mass produced last-century technology. I'm not going to collect others, this one is mine, I like the interesting but low-bling humble look, no need for others, I just like it.

20221115_112301.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I had known about Christopher Ward for some time but nothing really grabbed at me enough to lay down the cash until they released the Dartmouth v2. It is interesting because I normally hate faux-patina lume but something about this watch speaks to me.

harkens back to late 60's seamaster big arrow, which is a timeless classic and perhaps my favorite dive watch of all time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of you seem to be watch experts, so I have question. What does anyone think of the TISSOT PRC 200 CHRONOGRAPH? Yes, I know it's quartz, but I can get this watch for less than $300, and there are times I wish I had a chronograph with me doing stuff that I do. Reviews that I've read seem to like it, so what opinions does anyone have about it? Or is there a better alternative for close to the same price?

Being that a quartz chronograph watch will work better than an automatic chronograph that will wind down the spring fast when I use it in that fashion; Also since it is quartz, I don't think any quartz movement is worth a lot of money, I've seen just the movements themselves, and the best quartz movements sell for around $30, so I see no need to spend $400 or more since the movements are so cheaply manufactured; plus this Tissot movement is supposedly accurate from 10 to 20 seconds a year, Tissot says 10 seconds, not sure if that's realistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I wanted an inexpensive quartz chromo, i would grab one of the Swatch x Omega ones. They look pretty slick to me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't confuse cheap quartz with some of the higher-end (and/or High Accuracy) quartz movements which can be accurate to +3- seconds a year. I also think people forget (or don't know) that even inside a quartz movement, there are still mechanical parts which can also be of low or high quality.

Buy what you love rather than at a certain price point (unless that is your self-imposed budget). Tissot makes good stuff and it comes with a decent warranty.

And, if you really want a cheap and reliable chronograph, don't even bother with a quartz watch, get a digital Casio which will be even cheaper and more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    A lot of you seem to be watch experts, so I have question. What does anyone think of the TISSOT PRC 200 CHRONOGRAPH? Yes, I know it's quartz, but I can get this watch for less than $300, and there are times I wish I had a chronograph with me doing stuff that I do. Reviews that I've read seem to like it, so what opinions does anyone have about it? Or is there a better alternative for close to the same price?

Being that a quartz chronograph watch will work better than an automatic chronograph that will wind down the spring fast when I use it in that fashion; Also since it is quartz, I don't think any quartz movement is worth a lot of money, I've seen just the movements themselves, and the best quartz movements sell for around $30, so I see no need to spend $400 or more since the movements are so cheaply manufactured; plus this Tissot movement is supposedly accurate from 10 to 20 seconds a year, Tissot says 10 seconds, not sure if that's realistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are assuming that one can actually purchase a moonswatch. Lately, they seem more elusive than Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    If I wanted an inexpensive quartz chromo, i would grab one of the Swatch x Omega ones. They look pretty slick to me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are assuming that one can actually purchase a moonswatch. Lately, they seem more elusive than Rolex.
    Really? Give me a ring, I can get you one in London.

We've moved on.... it is now swatch x dragonballZ

https://www.swatch.com/en-gb/shenron.../SB01Z102.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? I just saw one in a display case in NYC this week...

It was early AM and the store not open yet, but I was assuming it was available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Really? Give me a ring, I can get you one in London.

We've moved on.... it is now swatch x dragonballZ

https://www.swatch.com/en-gb/shenron.../SB01Z102.html
    Wow, that is an ugly watch. I'll be in London this April so if I do not have one by then I'll stop by a swatch store.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Really? I just saw one in a display case in NYC this week...

It was early AM and the store not open yet, but I was assuming it was available.
    Again, similar to Rolex in that "Display" does not equal "For Sale".

Ultimately, I don't really care about the moonswatch though my brother who collects watches and has over 300 wants one so I ask when I am near either the 5th Avenue or Times Square stores but they never seem to have them in-stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had a Swatch last longer than 6 months. And the bands are crap. The plastic turns yellow. Bah.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I've never had a Swatch last longer than 6 months. And the bands are crap. The plastic turns yellow. Bah.
    I have an "automatic" swatch that is still going from about 1992.

And, apparently the new moonswatch "bio-whatever" releases its color onto your skin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Moonswatch is absolute garbage, do not buy it. The crystal will be scratched before you even get it just from being in the box. They are plastic junk. If you want a plastic watch w/a chronograph get any G-Shock instead - they're way cheaper and way better made.

The Tissot is probably fine, if you like it, get it. Other options I'd look at are the Japanese, Citizen, Casio (check out the Eddifice line), and Seiko. Specifically I'd look for a sapphire crystal for scratch resistance and something solar powered so you don't have to worry about battery changes in a few years. Sakura has some Seiko's that meet those criteria for under $300 :: check this link here

And depending on how accurate you need to time things, the timing bezel on a diver works great, I used mine in the kitchen all the time. Works great for timing time out for my 4yr old too haha.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 11-22-2022 at 01:59 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Tissot is pretty good for the money. It’s a 42, but the lug to lug dimension isn’t too long so it will wear nicely on many wrists. The 19mm lug-to-lug spacing is slightly annoying if you’re looking for aftermarket straps, but not a deal breaker. It’s got a basic ETA G10.211/212 movement inside the thing, which is probably the same movement as the moonswatch (for what it’s worth). The movement is a very basic; if they break they can be replaced for about 50 bucks. I can’t be repaired. For a reference, a high-end quartz movement will cost significantly more than the entire watch. All in all, that Tissotseems nice. I’d wear it. I definitely get it over a moonswatch (ref: I’ve had a Speedmaster for ages, and a GShock for plastic watch days.)
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't confuse cheap quartz with some of the higher-end (and/or High Accuracy) quartz movements which can be accurate to +3- seconds a year. I also think people forget (or don't know) that even inside a quartz movement, there are still mechanical parts which can also be of low or high quality.

Buy what you love rather than at a certain price point (unless that is your self-imposed budget). Tissot makes good stuff and it comes with a decent warranty.

And, if you really want a cheap and reliable chronograph, don't even bother with a quartz watch, get a digital Casio which will be even cheaper and more accurate.
    Except I don't like any of the watches that Casio has, they're just ugly.

I may have changed my mind about the Tissot since I saw a Bulova Marine Star with an all "gold" case, blue dial, and blue band with red stitching to match the red small chronograph and second hands, can't post a pic of the watch, but it looks great for less than $200. Any thoughts on that watch? or do I remain with the Tissot? I think looks wise the Bulova is hands down better looking than the Tissot, but internally is what I'm wondering about, though internet stuff I read said the Bulova has been really amazing.

Apparently on this video the Moonswatch: has a very brittle construction, no way would I buy that watch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except I don't like any of the watches that Casio has, they're just ugly.

I may have changed my mind about the Tissot since I saw a Bulova Marine Star with an all "gold" case, blue dial, and blue band with red stitching to match the red small chronograph and second hands, can't post a pic of the watch, but it looks great for less than $200. Any thoughts on that watch? or do I remain with the Tissot? I think looks wise the Bulova is hands down better looking than the Tissot, but internally is what I'm wondering about, though internet stuff I read said the Bulova has been really amazing.

Apparently on this video the Moonswatch: has a very brittle construction, no way would I buy that watch
    I would go with the Lunar Pilot over the Marine Star, but if the aesthetics click for you, get it.

Solid quartz movements in those from Bulova. They've steered hard into quality quartz movements at that price, and the only knock I've read on their quartz chronos with that high frequency movement is the size. They make for some chonky boi watches, but they work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 SOTC - State of the collection
    - Too many divers
    - Not enough diversity of models and styles

- SARB035 Mod, is too small for my 7.5" wrist and should be sold (it has never been worn except for this photo)
    - Citizen Super Titanium Promaster Dive, has not been worn and should be sold
    - Seiko SNZH55 Blancpain Fifty Fathoms homage, has sentimental value so is a keeper (my brothers each have one)
    - Seiko SKX011 SuperMod/NE15, is a keeper (my 1st SKX)
    - Seiko SKX007 SuperMod/NH36, has not been worn and should be sold
    - Seiko SKX009 SuperMod/NH36, has not been worn and should be sold
    - Seiko SKX173 SuperMod/NE15, is a keeper (lume and markers are different from SKX007/009/011)
    - Oris ProPilot Big Crown Big Date, is a keeper
    - Oris Aquis Titanium, is a 50/50 keeper/sell

Not shown:
    - Rolex DateJust Steel/Yellow Gold 36mm, keeper because gift from my wife
    - Rolex Explorer II Polar 42mm, keeper

Notes:
    - I have gone past my comfort limit of 8-10 watches and many are not getting worn which makes me insane.
    - Need to sell a few before I acquire anything new in 2023 (I know, that's blasphemy but it is what I need to do).

2022 SOTC.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought this Vaer right before COVID started and thus have worn it very seldom. It's nice but I'm not blown away by it.
    Started looking at dive watches but didn't want to spend much. Came across this Triwa which is made from ocean plastics.
    Kinda cool and I took off the original strap and am using the same 20mm NATO's I've had for a while.

Thinking about selling the Vaer along with the black strap and the gray one shown.
    The gray with black stripe is a slightly nicer French paratrooper strap which I like but not sure gels with the blue watch?

I have very skinny wrists but large hands, so it's tricky to find the right size watch, to some degree.

my name is Matt