User Tag List

Page 161 of 174 FirstFirst ... 151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 3464

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    The realized price of that turquoise Oyster Perpetual is crazy.
    The colour is discontinued. I would assume that the owner of Tiffany & Co LVMH had a discussion with Rolex about trademark color.
    It is probably a smart buy.

Take a look at what the Patek Nautilus / Tiffany Signed sold for:
    https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-63...ssummary&lid=1

Patek made 170 of these which originally retailed for $52,635

The last auction I looked at their was a limited Cartier watch that was signed by Tiffany and it also sold for crazy.....
    https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a...ny-blue-watch/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does "signed" mean in this context? Obviously Louis Comfort Tiffany isn't signing these things by hand.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just the dial. Obviously we aren't watch nerds. And you probably aren't following brand collabs and drops......

But e-Richie must be thinking how he can do a Tiff Blue x Richard Sachs bike...... limited run dropping 7 .....
    The House guys will be so jealous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    The colour is discontinued. I would assume that the owner of Tiffany & Co LVMH had a discussion with Rolex about trademark color.
    It is probably a smart buy.

Take a look at what the Patek Nautilus / Tiffany Signed sold for:
    https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-63...ssummary&lid=1

Patek made 170 of these which originally retailed for $52,635

The last auction I looked at their was a limited Cartier watch that was signed by Tiffany and it also sold for crazy.....
    https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a...ny-blue-watch/
    The color in person isn't a match for Tiffany blue. They discontinued it, most likely, because Rolex is not a fan of the absurd secondary/gray market pricing these simple watches are getting. The other bold colors were also discontinued. They also have a long history of discontinuing certain watches after short runs. The secondary pricing on the Nautilus is also crazy and likely (my opinion here and not an official statement from my wife's store) the most significant driver in Patek discontinuing the 5711.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The color in person isn't a match for Tiffany blue. They discontinued it, most likely, because Rolex is not a fan of the absurd secondary/gray market pricing these simple watches are getting. The other bold colors were also discontinued. They also have a long history of discontinuing certain watches after short runs. The secondary pricing on the Nautilus is also crazy and likely (my opinion here and not an official statement from my wife's store) the most significant driver in Patek discontinuing the 5711.
    Blame Jay-Z

I don't get any of it, but I remember the Rimowa-Supreme drop a few years ago.
    I own Rimowa luggage for 25 years and always get it repaired at the Bond St. Store. I went in there a day after the drop and asked the guys what happened. They said they had a line of people around the block from the prior day. They didn't want the store trashed by the mob, so went out and announced they are returned the luggage and had none for sale to disperse the crowd. I don't know if they actually did send it back to the warehouse, or sold it to a friend who flipped it online.

It's like the sneakerheads with Kith and some other shops..... totally don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"rare"

sigh.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sales manager at my local AD has one and says it's her retirement plan.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    The sales manager at my local AD has one and says it's her retirement plan.
    Well, she'll probably need to sell it soon before the secondary pricing finishes normalizing. And she should probably consider a 401K, but to each her own.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    It's just the dial. Obviously we aren't watch nerds. And you probably aren't following brand collabs and drops......

But e-Richie must be thinking how he can do a Tiff Blue x Richard Sachs bike...... limited run dropping 7 .....
    The House guys will be so jealous.
    Is this Tiffany Blue? (typed by a barbarian wearing Seiko black)

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 4.20.11 PM.jpg
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    What does "signed" mean in this context? Obviously Louis Comfort Tiffany isn't signing these things by hand.
    For many years Tiffany was a retailer for Rolex (no longer though) and is currently still a retailer for Patek. Tiffany required watch manufacturers to add the Tiffany logo on watches that would be sold via Tiffany retail outlets. There were not as many as regular production dials so they became more exclusive and expensive. Now that the relationship with Rolex is over and the one with Patek has changed, this no longer happens so the prices have further increased on these "signed" dials.

Interestingly though the Dominos signed Rolex dials while rare do not command the same price differential as the Tiffany signed dials do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tiffany. The pocket watch works flawlessly. The others need some work. Any suggestions in the vicinity of Western MA would be welcome.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pocket Watch is very cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

International get together this week that I knew my pals from London would be attending so the CW got the call-up. Hard to capture in pics but the depth of the maroon on the bezel and the waves on the face are a real eye catcher under the right light

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had never really paid all that much attention to Christopher Ward, though I do get their email blasts.

But hot damn if they haven't released a stunner in the Bel Canto: https://www.christopherward.com/int/...me-is-now.html

What an incredibly fine looking piece. Between this and the M.A.D. 1, I'm now convinced that visually captivating, innovative pieces aren't just limited to the 5 figure prices.

And totally bummed to have missed out on both.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
    For Seiko, I'd go with a Japanese market one from seiyajapan.com. Unless you are getting that large Seiko monster dive watch.
    I bought a backup watch, a Seiko from Seiyajapan. I was a bit nervous. These guys are great -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My "date night" watch is a Vortic repurposed Springfield pocket watch. They do very cool things with old pocket watches.

https://vorticwatches.com/collections/watches
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Tiffany. The pocket watch works flawlessly. The others need some work. Any suggestions in the vicinity of Western MA would be welcome.
    I don't know about close to you but if you want very good and well known (also the creators of the Richard Sachs watch):
    https://www.rgmwatches.com/repair

If they can't do it, the sure will know who can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had known about Christopher Ward for some time but nothing really grabbed at me enough to lay down the cash until they released the Dartmouth v2. It is interesting because I normally hate faux-patina lume but something about this watch speaks to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I had never really paid all that much attention to Christopher Ward, though I do get their email blasts.

But hot damn if they haven't released a stunner in the Bel Canto: https://www.christopherward.com/int/...me-is-now.html

What an incredibly fine looking piece...

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    International get together this week that I knew my pals from London would be attending so the CW got the call-up. Hard to capture in pics but the depth of the maroon on the bezel and the waves on the face are a real eye catcher under the right light

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christopher Ward makes great looking pieces, I'm on my 2nd one, a 36mm 'Sealander'. But there are a few issues to know about:

1 - They seem to have an incredibly high (relative to others) failure rate on their Sellita movements. It's a somewhat common issue w/the winding mechanism but seems way more common with CW, my first one had the issue. The newer one feels much smoother when winding, tho I do avoid winding it much after the first one broke.

2 - They went backwards on their bracelets recently. My first Sealander (the 39mm version) had a pin and collar bracelet, which I personally prefer. The new one had screws, but the first itteration required two screw drivers to loosen/tighten a single screw. I think they fixed that on the updated version. But the new quick adjust clasp is worse than the old one. The old one had a ratcheting mechanism, so you could tighten it on the fly without having to open the clasp, you just push the bracelet into the clasp and it would click in. To loosen it you had to open the clasp to access the mechanism. The new clasp is longer, really long, too long IMO, and no longer has the ratchet, so you have to open the clasp to adjust it either direction.

I don't understand why no one in Switzerland can make a quick adjust clasp as good as the Japanese. Rolex, Tudor, Monta, Christopher Ward, you name it - they all require opening the clasp to adjust the mechanism in at least one direction. Casio, Seiko, and Citizen all make clasps you can both tighten and loosen while the watch is on your wrist without having to open the clasp, see some examples below.

All that said, CW does make really great looking pieces. And if you do have an issue with the movement they'll fix it, just know the watch will be gone about two months or so.

Here's the clasp on my Seiko Astron. It's thin, short, looks like any other standard clasp yet has a simple built in quick adjust mechanism. One downside to this clasp is the pushers to release the quick adjust mechanism are the same pushers used to open the clasp, so you could open the clasp on accident. But it's really easy to release the mechanism and not open the clasp.

https://i.imgur.com/2ST8Owc.mp4

Here's one on a Citizen. This one has dedicated pushers for the quick adjust, so you can't possibly open the clasp while adjusting the watch. But that makes the clasp longer than the Seiko, but it's not outrageously long (I've got 6.75" wrists FWIW).

https://i.imgur.com/WMZW3Wl.mp4
    Last edited by dgaddis; 11-14-2022 at 09:48 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I really *LOVE* the Dominos signed Rolexs, such a great combination of trash and classy all wrapped up in one package.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?