User Tag List

Page 160 of 174 FirstFirst ... 150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 3464

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Becasue the watch industry is more set in their ways than the bike industry. Paging @Matthew Strongin
    That's partially true. Tradition and adherence to the old ways is a big part of the industry, but I think the reason there aren't standardized terms for dials is that there are so many variations. They use standardized terms for categories of watches, features of watches, parts of watches, materials, etc. With dials, though, there are countless ways to design and construct a dial, many of which are combinations of methods and recurring design standards. For example, you can have a flat dial with a simple enamel finish and printed indices. What if you then replace the markers at 12, 3, 6, and 9 with applied gold arabic numerals. Then you remove the 6 to add a sub-dial for date and that subdial has a starburst pattern engraved into it. Then you add a trim ring with cutouts for the indices around the perimeter of the dial. It's clearly no longer "flat" though it has flat painted elements. It's not a "sandwich" dial though there are layered elements. It's not guilloche but it has some engraved elements. It's easier for most brands to just describe what the dial looks like, what materials were used, or sometimes even just the color.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed which is why I chose that older and more expensive dial to use an example (in my original response) because the indices are "applied".
    Ah, good to know, they looked pressed in the pic.

Here's another example of a pressed dial, one that looks pretty good IMO for a pressed dial, from the limited edition Zimbe mini-turtle ::

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I'm in the process of studying to take the PE in October to get my Professional Engineering license. Been out of school for 15 years so I've got a LOT of brushing up to do. But when I pass, I'm getting this Longines (37mm Spirit) to celebrate. This thing checks a lot of boxes for me.

As I already said, I skipped over the Longines and got a Black Bay 58 instead a few months ago. Well two weeks ago I took my PE test and yesterday got my result back - I passed! I'll report back when I get the caseback engraved....got two ideas, not sure which I'll go with just yet....

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a sickness.

Top (L to R):
    Seiko SKX007J (modded with NH36 movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, and Seiko R02F011J9 rubber strap)
    Seiko SKX173 (modded with NE15/6r15 movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, Seiko R02F011J9 rubber strap, and CrystalTimes case)
    Citizen Promaster Dive Automatic Super Titanium NB6021-17E

Bottom (L to R):
    Seiko SKX009J (modded with NH36 movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, and Seiko R02F011J9 rubber strap)
    Seiko SKX011J (modded with NE15/6r15 movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, Seiko R02F011J9 rubber strap, CrystalTimes case, and Dagaz marine master style hands)
    Oris Aquis Titanium Date 01 733 7730 7153-07 4 24 63TEB

Diver Box.jpg

*** Happy to sell-off the SKX007 and SKX009 to new homes - both brand new never worn - stickers still on the rubber strap ***

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

George Daniels Wristwatch Fetches Record $4 Million in Geneva
    2022-11-06 08:52:28.13 GMT

By Andy Hoffman
    (Bloomberg) -- A rare George Daniels timepiece sold at
    auction in Geneva for more than $4 million, a record price for a
    wristwatch produced by a British maker.
    After a three-minute bidding war that vaulted prices well
    past the pre-sale estimate of $1 million, the Spring Case
    Tourbillon was won by a bidder in the room at the Phillips
    Geneva Watch Auction on Saturday.
    The final price, including fees paid to the auctioneer,
    Phillips in Association with Bacs and Russo, was 4,083,500 Swiss
    francs ($4,092,075).
    The yellow gold watch, which features a double-sided hinged
    case giving access to its tourbillon and calendar com
    plications, was produced by George Daniels in 1992 and
    served as the famed British watchmaker’s personal watch for more
    than a decade.
    Daniels, who died in 2011, produced fewer than 100 time
    pieces by hand in his studio on the Isle of Man. He is
    considered the father of modern independent watch makers and
    invented the co-axial escapement that is now found in many
    watches produced by Swatch Group AG’s Omega brand.
    The sale represents the highest price ever paid for a
    wristwatch made by a British watchmaker. A George Daniels pocket
    watch, the Space Traveller, was sold by Sotheby’s London for
    $4.6 million in 2019.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice watch. Not sure it's worth that much, but I guess when you're at that level of rarity and collectibility, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

In other watch news, I'm hoping to see the new Rolex Deepsea Challenge in person soon. Certainly not wearable for a regular sized human but I dig it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I am a Rolex fanboy, even I thought this was silly to sell to the public. It's a nice piece of engineering but I don't want a watch to carry around in a suitcase because it is too big to wear on my wrist and I have a 7.5" wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Nice watch. Not sure it's worth that much, but I guess when you're at that level of rarity and collectibility, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

In other watch news, I'm hoping to see the new Rolex Deepsea Challenge in person soon. Certainly not wearable for a regular sized human but I dig it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I am a Rolex fanboy, even I thought this was silly to sell to the public. It's a nice piece of engineering but I don't want a watch to carry around in a suitcase because it is too big to wear on my wrist and I have a 7.5" wrist.
    I'm really curious to see it in person and get a sense of the real world size. It just occurred to me that I ride my bike every day with a Garmin Enduro, which is huge and the size doesn't bother me. And the weight of the Challenge isn't that much heavier than the Deepsea that I wear comfortably. But it may be just on the other side of my limit for how big I'm comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really curious to see it in person and get a sense of the real world size. It just occurred to me that I ride my bike every day with a Garmin Enduro, which is huge and the size doesn't bother me. And the weight of the Challenge isn't that much heavier than the Deepsea that I wear comfortably. But it may be just on the other side of my limit for how big I'm comfortable with.
    I think the height of the case will be the biggest issue. It is almost an inch tall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    I think the height of the case will be the biggest issue. It is almost an inch tall.
    Agreed. The "regular" Deepsea is already pretty tall and not a great watch with long sleeves. Doable, but not great. Fortunately I live in Miami and wear short sleeves 99% of the time. The weight distribution isn't too bad, actually, but the taller case of the Challenge may put enough weight far enough from the wrist to make it uncomfortable. And then there's just the general cumbersomeness of a tall watch, though other towering watches exist and people wear them. We'll see. I know they'll sell, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have big wrists, and have therefore always had a fire burning for the "James Cameron" Deepsea with the blue gradient dial, but this new thing is a bit much, even for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I applaud the technical merits, at least. But yeah, that's a chonky boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. The "regular" Deepsea is already pretty tall and not a great watch with long sleeves. Doable, but not great. Fortunately I live in Miami and wear short sleeves 99% of the time. The weight distribution isn't too bad, actually, but the taller case of the Challenge may put enough weight far enough from the wrist to make it uncomfortable. And then there's just the general cumbersomeness of a tall watch, though other towering watches exist and people wear them. We'll see. I know they'll sell, though.
    I handled one in person on Saturday afternoon. AD in CLT had one available (not a display piece - actually for sale). It’s HUGE. Not very heavy… but so tall… had to be at least an inch thick. Completely impractical for a daily, imho. I would hit it on every door jam I passed. For reference, I often wear a Fenix 5 during workouts, and this thing makes the Fenix seem like a toy. And the DSC is $26k retail for a non-PM watch…

The fit and finish were top notch, as expected.

It will be real interesting to see how it sells. I’m all about pushing the envelope to make better stuff, but this one ups the ante quite a bit. After all, somebody has to push the envelope beyond Huffys and Geo Metros… but this seems like something along the lines of the amphibious car. Totally a novelty.

Time will tell.

(See what I did there???)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexstar View Post
    I have big wrists, and have therefore always had a fire burning for the "James Cameron" Deepsea with the blue gradient dial, but this new thing is a bit much, even for me.

I love everything about the James Cameron… except the text “ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE” and “RING LOCK SYSTEM.” It looks out of place on an otherwise very attractive watch. The blue/black fade is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    I applaud the technical merits, at least. But yeah, that's a chonky boy.
    No matter which body of water you drop it into, it'll sink to 35,000 feet.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I love everything about the James Cameron… except the text “ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE” and “RING LOCK SYSTEM.” It looks out of place on an otherwise very attractive watch. The blue/black fade is awesome.
    You wonder how many of these watches ever see a saturation dive? But the valve itself is pretty cool when you think how the original deep sea was developed and what it was for- it is all cool.

I remember watching Jacques Cousteau when they did the special on deep sea living. Everyone has the mickey mouse voice.

Is he wearing a rolex?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchased this JDM model Citizen "The Citizen" AQ1020-51E high accuracy quartz/eco drive-solar/perpetual calendar/titanium 38mm on a Citizen insiders sale: $2695 => $795.

It is supposed to be +/- 5 seconds a year and has self centering hands. The painted wood storage/display box it comes with even has a glass top so the watch stays charged up. Only downside is that knowing me I'll probably flip it before I even get the chance to size the bracelet and wear it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchased this JDM model Citizen "The Citizen" AQ1020-51E high accuracy quartz/eco drive-solar/perpetual calendar/titanium 38mm on a Citizen insiders sale: $2695 => $795.

It is supposed to be +/- 5 seconds a year and has self centering hands. The painted wood storage/display box it comes with even has a glass top so the watch stays charged up. Only downside is that knowing me I'll probably flip it before I even get the chance to size the bracelet and wear it.

Heck of a pick up!!

Tell me more about this sale….I like Citizen a lot….
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    The realized price of that turquoise Oyster Perpetual is crazy.