User Tag List

Page 16 of 175 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    FWIW, I work in the same building as a lot of current and former Navy pilots. They all seem to wear the Casio G-Shock digitals. I've never spotted a single IWC.
    I would agree. I would say it is generally hard to find an active duty pilot who has the disposable cash for an IWC, at least based on the squadron I was in which was at Miramar as well as an F/A-18D squadron. Some of the guys were top gun grads, not that that makes them more able to buy a fancy watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was farting around searching for something across the hall, and came upon this link from musgravecycles: TimeZone: Public Forum Archive: Scan day: Please join my 10k posts celebration with my SOTC (modem warning)

That is a scary amount of watches, both in volume and in $$

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    I was farting around searching for something across the hall, and came upon this link from musgravecycles: TimeZone: Public Forum Archive: Scan day: Please join my 10k posts celebration with my SOTC (modem warning)

That is a scary amount of watches, both in volume and in $$
    That's just compulsive. I'm not sure what the correct number of watches to own is, but 500 seems like too many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how I missed this thread before as I definitely have a thing for watches. This is my current favorite....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this at the store the other day when windows shopping. It looked good... really good. Super Ocean heritage.

Although the Maratac Pilot in 39mm is looking good and an auto for only $199!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I saw this at the store the other day when windows shopping. It looked good... really good. Super Ocean heritage.

Although the Maratac Pilot in 39mm is looking good and an auto for only $199!

-Joe
    the breitling is nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I checked out that Breitling prior to purchasing my Planet Ocean. The Breitling just didn't do it for me. I think I was too wrapped up in the name.

Newport Rhode Island ---> Tijuana Mexico 2021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently enjoying wearing a Breitling Navitimer, on loan from my dad. I usually never wear a watch so wearing something as heavy as this is quite a change. I keep bumping it into things.

This is my first really nice watch, and I hope to take care of it for years to come.

How often should watches like this be serviced?

I just had to adjust it for leap day...
    Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your Breitling is mechanical, service it at least every 3-5 years. If it's quartz, service it every time you change the battery. Some people with nice watches don't get them serviced at all. You can probably get 10-20 years of service out of a watch without servicing it, but then it's toast. If it's your dad's watch, with service you'll be able to pass it along to your own kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll tell you when it wants to be serviced...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new Riki Watanabe automatic. +15 seconds after one month of daily wearing.

riki watanabe automatic watch by m1n1mum, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    It'll tell you when it wants to be serviced...
    Yep, they do. I wouldn't send mine in until it does (Blancpain, U Nardin, Hublot). they run a good $800 just for the service. More if something needs to be done.

If any of you are buyers i get an emailed list: incredble collection of just about everything, low end 3k to 1,000,000 from a private seller. Very reputable guy, new list with updates and photos about once a month. Very quick to answer questions, he'll help find something you may be looking for. Most stuff is used, in new or nearly new condition, some new in box. Pricing is of course the attraction. PM me with email address and i'll forward the next list. If you're interested you can then ask him to include you from that point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bking View Post
    snipped: low end 3k to 1,000,000 from a private seller.
    $3K low end - damn I love this place. :-)
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    If your Breitling is mechanical, service it at least every 3-5 years. If it's quartz, service it every time you change the battery. Some people with nice watches don't get them serviced at all. You can probably get 10-20 years of service out of a watch without servicing it, but then it's toast. If it's your dad's watch, with service you'll be able to pass it along to your own kids.
    I don't agree (and I'm not alone on this, there are a lot of people who think service every five years is a waste). I generally wait until it is running slow or fast or not holding a wind for as long as it should before service. Generally that is closer to 10 years for me. Frankly I'd just as soon not have my watch opened and apart every 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ordered a SKX007J w/ rubber. I wanted something affordable, rugged, classic, simple, and utilitarian but nice enough to wear at all occasions...and built to last. I'm excited. Eventually I'll get an oyster bracelet and some NATO straps to mix it up here and there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DrZRM View Post
    I don't agree (and I'm not alone on this, there are a lot of people who think service every five years is a waste). I generally wait until it is running slow or fast or not holding a wind for as long as it should before service. Generally that is closer to 10 years for me. Frankly I'd just as soon not have my watch opened and apart every 3 years.
    You are probably right about the absolute need for service. A lot of this comes down to a personality thing. I'm a "service" guy. I change my bike cables every two years, even if they look and feel good. I get my BMW oiled twice as often as I am supposed to. I change my furnace filters every month and the smoke alarm battery every time the time changes (hey that's this weekend). You get the idea.

And I have teenaged children eyeing my watches. Even if I overspend getting it to them in working order (meaning, when they pry it from my cold, dead hands), why not? Also, whenever I get my Omegas (Speedmaster Pro and Seamaster Pro) serviced, they do a cosmetic "service" and, I kid you not, the watches look like new again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MIN View Post
    My new Riki Watanabe automatic.

MIN that just looks fantastic, where did you get it if you don't mind my asking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steampunk View Post
    MIN that just looks fantastic, where did you get it if you don't mind my asking?
    thanks steampunk. it's Japanese domestic market so it's smaller - 37mm dial. seiko automatic movement.

SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SeiyaJapan.com in Tokyo, Japan is where i got it - high praise for this seller from japan.

cc: timepieces on budget thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's likely that I'll be leaving Japan and coming back to the states this year...the whole time I've been here I've been trying to find a 6306, but the watch game is pretty much dead here. Cell phones and G-shocks. If you have a 6306 you're willing to get rid of I'll probly buy it.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MIN View Post
    thanks steampunk. it's Japanese domestic market so it's smaller - 37mm dial. seiko automatic movement.

SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SeiyaJapan.com in Tokyo, Japan is where i got it - high praise for this seller from japan.

cc: timepieces on budget thread
    nice...lots of wrist candy on there. and affordable ones too!