User Tag List

Page 158 of 174 FirstFirst ... 148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 3464

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    wifey and i are celebrating 10yrs this year. i think i want to get us watches. her something with a blue dial ('her color'), me a red dial ('my color'). red isn't a popular color for dials, for some reason. besides the new Aqua Terras, is there anything else that has a smaller dial and larger dial within the same model lines with those colors? obviously Rolex OPs, but....no. especially since the red dial was cut.

also having @Honus make her another ring, which takes priority. so if i can't find watches it won't be a big deal.

If you aren't in any hurry; take a look at these Scottish watches by anOrdain:

The dials are enameled by hand.

https://anordain.com/collections/anordain-model-1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once a liar, always a liar.
    I am not sure a $800,000 hublot exists.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/14/video-...off-his-wrist/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

Exactly the sort of person who should be suckered into paying 20x the actual value of a watch.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked up a new luxury timepiece, the GA-B2100 from the legendary Japanese horology house of Casio, their G-Shock division in particular.

My 4yr old's favorite colors are pink, purple, and 'lellow'. And this watch is very lellow. She loves it.

It came on a lellow strap but I swapped a combi bracelet onto it. I did like the lellow look, but it was either too tight or too loose and kept rolling to the outside of my wrist. With the bracelet it's way more comfy and stays put without being too tight.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Just picked up a new luxury timepiece, the GA-B2100 from the legendary Japanese horology house of Casio, their G-Shock division in particular.

My 4yr old's favorite colors are pink, purple, and 'lellow'. And this watch is very lellow. She loves it.

It came on a lellow strap but I swapped a combi bracelet onto it. I did like the lellow look, but it was either too tight or too loose and kept rolling to the outside of my wrist. With the bracelet it's way more comfy and stays put without being too tight.
    Really kinda hoping House Casio releases a Tough Solar version of these. Tough Solar + Multi Band 6 would be really, really neat.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Really kinda hoping House Casio releases a Tough Solar version of these. Tough Solar + Multi Band 6 would be really, really neat.
    This is the new-new solar powered version! The 'b' in the model name is for Blue Tooth. Unfortunately no MB6 tho.

https://gshock.casio.com/us/products...ital/ga-b2100/
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool watch. I'm digging the lellow.

I've seen a few of these and can't figure out what the half dial in the middle left of the watch does?
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the non-solar version it tells the days of the week.

On the new solar version (like my yellow one) it normally shows the battery charge level (L, M, or H) and when you switch out of the time keeping mode it tells you which mode you're in (which is kinda pointless since the LCD also shows that as you cycle through the various modes). All the various modes happen in the LCD, the main hands always just tell the time.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

Yeah, as soon as I read that news I immediately thought insurance fraud; why would anyone wear a million dollar watch while on vacation? That's like the riskiest time to be robbed. I think they were wearing cheap sub $1,000 watches, then they paid some guy, maybe someone they knew, then scoped out the area to find a good camera placement, then the show began, when you think about it why would a thief rob someone in front of cameras? Or they wore the million dollar watch only later to get the watch back from the supposed thief. The other thought was the tourists were wearing cheaper $5,000 or so watches, a real thief too stupid to know about cameras but knew about watches, robbed them of the $5,000 or so watch, then the tourists lied to the police and said it was a million dollar watch. Personally, I think my first choice is what happened, they needed a camara to document as evidence they were "robbed".

What's strange too, is that they were wearing cheap clothes, then the thief comes from way back on the street, there is no way that robber could tell what kind of watch he was wearing from that far back, and the watch man doesn't even try to stop him, not only that but the thief knew how to unclasp the watch. I think this was a staged event to get a payout from the insurance company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the process of studying to take the PE in October to get my Professional Engineering license. Been out of school for 15 years so I've got a LOT of brushing up to do. But when I pass, I'm getting this Longines (37mm Spirit) to celebrate. This thing checks a lot of boxes for me.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You better pass, because that's a nice watch! Plus, all the hard work you put in for that degree, yeah, you deserve it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wifey and I are coming up on #10 . Decided a little bit back that I wanted to get her/ us a watch. Not high end, but more substantial than the Wahoo Rival she wears on weekends. Tudor to the rescue. BB58 for me, 32 for her. I figured non-date would be a solid starting point, given that this will be her first auto. I had the case-backs engraved with something to celebrate the moment, and the warranty cards dated with the anniversary date. Had planned on waiting till the anniversary, but she's been going through a bit of a rough patch, so I figured I'd show her now to lift her spirits a bit.

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic choices, Dustin! Congrats on the milestone anniversary. I hope you two enjoy the watches over many more years of happiness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations Dustin to both you and your wife; Sorry to hear about your wife, I sincerely hope and pray that whatever the rough patch your wife is going through that she will come out of it in fine shape.

Tudor is plenty high end enough! Nice selection you chose, I hope she liked hers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Richard Mille silliness continues:

(1.75 mm thick)

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ri...-up-01-ferrari

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checked in to see a fine specimen from House Casio, lovely his and hers from House Tudor and just in time to wish you best of luck on that PE exam! I hear you need a wheelbarrow to bring in your reference books. And that Longines is also on my short list.

Meanwhile, no expense spared at House Mille in their never-ending drive to create outrageously expensive, yet still horrendously ugly, horological specimens. You know, Richard Mille is a co-sponsor of UAE Team Emirates so Tadej Pogacar gets to wear his watches while racing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    I hear you need a wheelbarrow to bring in your reference books.
    Nowadays all the references are electronic and you can't bring anything into the test with you except your ID and calculator. No pencil or pen or paper, not even a watch.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been wanting a nicer mechanical watch for years and recently picked up this Grand Seiko SBGW005. I suspect this was made in the early 2000's? I really liked the look of the current SBGW231, but this looks almost the exact same with similar movement... purchased used from Japan was to me a good deal and less than half the $ of new. Running maybe +2 seconds a day. Looks great in person, I take lousy pictures.

SBGW005.jpg

This is a quartz watch also from early 2000's. I wear this regularly, beat the crap out of it and I think it runs about +3 seconds per year. Independent setting of the hour hand, hacking and screw down crown (200m?). The '8J' quartz movement from GS is pretty robust.

SBGF021.jpg

The Japanese marketing for this stuff is amusing to me...

https://vintageseiko.nl/blog/grand-s...-a-grand-watch

"In Japan these high end watches were of course worn by well groomed businessmen. Their biggest problem was two fold, they needed the correct time at all times and they needed to catch the train straight from their bath house relaxation/happy hour. But, these watches tended to get fried if worn in hot baths or shower rooms - a real issue - the harried salary man must have his watch with him in the Sauna to benchmark the last train! The 8J was the answer to those concerns."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a heads up that the Citizen Promaster divers are on sale for Prime Day. ~$150 for an ISO rated diver, solar quartz movement. Great deal if you're in the market for one :: https://a.co/d/eWx51yt
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In an unexpected turn of events yesterday my boss called me into his office and I got a raise and a bonus, and I said 'why wait till October to get that watch!'

A few weeks ago I happened by a Tudor AD and tried on the BB58 and I loved it. I hadn't seen the Longines Spirit in person yet. So this morning I drove up to ATL and went to a Longines AD to check it out. It's great, there's nothing I can really complain about it other than the applied markers aren't as tall as they appear in photos. It's a great watch. But, it didn't pull on my heart strings the way the BB58 did. So I went to the Tudor AD and brought one home.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com