User Tag List

Page 157 of 174 FirstFirst ... 147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,140 of 3471

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    The unofficial story is they were struggling with jewelry and non-Rolex watch sales during the pandemic so they started selling to the grey market
    Sigh.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Aquis with a dial made from recycled plastic has been on my mind more than once. It is a little more flashy, but I kind of dig it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got this Ball today: IMG-5336 crop.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Venga View Post
    Just got this Ball today
    Cool

If it's new I bet it also doubles as a night light...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wifey and i are celebrating 10yrs this year. i think i want to get us watches. her something with a blue dial ('her color'), me a red dial ('my color'). red isn't a popular color for dials, for some reason. besides the new Aqua Terras, is there anything else that has a smaller dial and larger dial within the same model lines with those colors? obviously Rolex OPs, but....no. especially since the red dial was cut.

also having @Honus make her another ring, which takes priority. so if i can't find watches it won't be a big deal.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 04-13-2022 at 06:03 PM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Cool

If it's new I bet it also doubles as a night light...
    IMG-5342.jpg

Thanks, I'm really enjoying it. It's new but I think the dealer had it for a bit, but it's still pretty bright.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The watch bug finally bit me and I looked pretty long and hard at several time pieces.

At the end of the day I choose the Oris model here. It's classic, easy to read and the sun ray dial is very well executed along with the coin bezel and crown.

I would like to have a 3-4 watch collection. I'm leaning hard into a Farer Carnegie to wet my appetite for a nice reasonably priced chrono until I can justify a Moonwatch 3861.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twinsies. Maybe the Aquis Diver is a good next step...

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    The watch bug finally bit me and I looked pretty long and hard at several time pieces.

At the end of the day I choose the Oris model here. It's classic, easy to read and the sun ray dial is very well executed along with the coin bezel and crown.

I would like to have a 3-4 watch collection. I'm leaning hard into a Farer Carnegie to wet my appetite for a nice reasonably priced chrono until I can justify a Moonwatch 3861.

...I am quite impressed with Oris but they, like many others, are raising prices so while the Caliber 400 is interesting, I am not sure I would buy one. Found these "previous collection" watches at steep discounts. I have really been enjoying them.

Oris Big Crown Propilot Big Date - Blue Dial
    Attachment 120883

Oris Aquis Titanium Date - Grey Dial
    Attachment 120884

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@dgaddis, I just picked up a the Citizen Eco-Drive radio controlled Titanium watch CB0170-14L but it will not update in NYC (Manhattan). It works because when I tried a manual update in areas outside of the city it received the signal perfectly. Unfortunately I purchased it at a Citizen outlet store (at 60% off) so no returns.

Do you have experience with any of the "Atomic Clock Apps" and could you suggest one of them?

Any chance you, or someone you know, might want this watch? I'll pass it along at what I paid for it (less than $300)?

TIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    wifey and i are celebrating 10yrs this year. i think i want to get us watches. her something with a blue dial ('her color'), me a red dial ('my color'). red isn't a popular color for dials, for some reason. besides the new Aqua Terras, is there anything else that has a smaller dial and larger dial within the same model lines with those colors? obviously Rolex OPs, but....no. especially since the red dial was cut.

also having @Honus make her another ring, which takes priority. so if i can't find watches it won't be a big deal.

Omega dealers should be getting the new AT soon - they'll have both your colors and you'll actually be able to buy them.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    I'm leaning hard into a Farer Carnegie to wet my appetite for a nice reasonably priced chrono until I can justify a Moonwatch 3861.
    Nice Oris.
    As far as the chrono goes, if you want a Speedmaster, just keep saving. Anything else won’t keep you happy. Used Speedies aren’t too much of a stretch if you have $1500 already allocated for the Fahrer.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    I mean, an inconspicuous GMT with a dark face is on my list....
    My (biased) recommendation for a dark face GMT :)
    Rolex.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
    My (biased) recommendation for a dark face GMT :)
    Lol, even if I was on a list five years ago, there's no chance.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
    Nice Oris.
    As far as the chrono goes, if you want a Speedmaster, just keep saving. Anything else won’t keep you happy. Used Speedies aren’t too much of a stretch if you have $1500 already allocated for the Fahrer.

The Speedy I want is pretty specific and I don't see them heading below $6500 USD any time if ever so I want to scratch the itch with that Farer. Ironically it was the watch I saw that started my horological journey.

Watches aren't "investment's" to me as it is to some people so i don't care so much in the value depreciating on them at the end of the day.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@dgaddis, I just picked up a the Citizen Eco-Drive radio controlled Titanium watch CB0170-14L but it will not update in NYC (Manhattan). It works because when I tried a manual update in areas outside of the city it received the signal perfectly. Unfortunately I purchased it at a Citizen outlet store (at 60% off) so no returns.

Do you have experience with any of the "Atomic Clock Apps" and could you suggest one of them?

Any chance you, or someone you know, might want this watch? I'll pass it along at what I paid for it (less than $300)?

TIA.

My JDM Citizen only picks up the Japanese radio signal, so I use the ClockWave app to sync it every so often since it can emulate any of the towers. It's a paid app but works well, none of the free apps I tried worked (but they might for you).

When you say you just picked it up, how soon exactly? I'm in Macon GA, hardly a true city, and none of the radio controlled watches I've owned (Citizen and Casio) will sync during the day if I initiate a sync manually. They all sync very reliably overnight however when they do their automatic sync. Something about how the radio waves travel better at night. They'll still miss a sync every once and a while, maybe once a month or so. Being in NYC you've got interference with all the big buildings, but maybe at night it'll still sync every once and a while. Being a quartz movement it's not like it needs to sync every night to still be accurate anyhow.

It's interesting that you picked it up in a store here....I thought that model was JDM.

EDIT to add, I'm not interested in taking it off your hands, I like mine better since it's a bit smaller and has the quick adjust clasp on the bracelet.

Last edited by dgaddis; 04-18-2022 at 04:21 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should sync to JJY (Japan), WWVB (Denver/Fort Collins), DCF77 (Germany), and BPC (China). I tried my apartment 10065 on a lower floor (no sync), my parents apartment 10065 in a different building on higher floor that clears most buildings (no sync), manual on the street (no sync), Junghans Mega app (manual, no sync) and Radio Wave (manual, no sync). Have not yet tried the "paid" apps. A manual sync during the day worked at both my brother's house outside of the city 10583 (on Friday) and at a friend's house 07079 (Saturday) with both taking less than 10 minutes.

I bought it for the tech so the fact that it will not sync in NYC is annoying but not the end of the world. Ultimately I thought it would be a fun travel watch knowing that when we start travelling again it is often to Europe so the world time function and sync (via Germany) will be a cool feature to have. Great point about quartz and if I was not normally such a "mechanical watch snob" I probably would have thought about that myself.

There is a factory-owned Citizen outlet store about 50 miles outside of the city at an "outlet mall". I was actually going up there to visit Breitling (for me) and Tag Heuer (for my brother) then found the Citizen store as well. They mostly stock previous generation Citizen, Bulova, Alpina, and Frederique Constant at 20% off but I lucked out and this was on a 60% off weekly special. I spoke with the assistant manager and he said they are not allowed to advertise anything online (to encourage people to visit the retail store) and "once in a while get a cool JDM model". I just lucked out and was in the right place at the right time.

Thanks for the info and I'll try ClockWave.

Even at 41.5mm, it wears smaller than the stock pictures suggest (on my 7.5" wrist). Also got a non-USA all green Pro Diver for my brother.

Citizen Radio.jpgCitizen Green.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    My JDM Citizen only picks up the Japanese radio signal, so I use the ClockWave app to sync it every so often since it can emulate any of the towers. It's a paid app but works well, none of the free apps I tried worked (but they might for you).

When you say you just picked it up, how soon exactly? I'm in Macon GA, hardly a true city, and none of the radio controlled watches I've owned (Citizen and Casio) will sync during the day if I initiate a sync manually. They all sync very reliably overnight however when they do their automatic sync. Something about how the radio waves travel better at night. They'll still miss a sync every once and a while, maybe once a month or so. Being in NYC you've got interference with all the big buildings, but maybe at night it'll still sync every once and a while. Being a quartz movement it's not like it needs to sync every night to still be accurate anyhow.

It's interesting that you picked it up in a store here....I thought that model was JDM.

EDIT to add, I'm not interested in taking it off your hands, I like mine better since it's a bit smaller and has the quick adjust clasp on the bracelet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give it a week or so and see if it syncs overnight successfully. Mine runs about 6 seconds fast per month without syncing FWIW.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little this or that...

Seiko SARB035 (modified - sapphire crystal with cyclops, fluted bezel, and embossed croc pattern on calfskin strap)
    $400 ($575 with mods)

Seiko SARB035.jpg

Grand Seiko SBGR261
    $4300 (not sure I can justify 10x the Seiko as much as I like this one)
    Grand Seiko SBGR261 - 01.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice mod job on that SARB!

here's my stock one for reference:

I just got this Revue Thommen:

My picture doesn't go justice to the dial color; which is more magenta and really pops like here:
    revue-thommen-heritage-automatic-red-dial-mens-watch-210102536-210102536_5.jpg