User Tag List

Page 145 of 174 FirstFirst ... 135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 3471

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by VTMike View Post
    If Rolex is above budget, is Tudor the brand to go with?

A little more context...
    My son graduates from College in a few weeks.
    He's pined after a Rolex Datejust 41 with the blue face.
    He has a Hamilton Officer that I bought him second-hand from here, a Stowa Klassik 41 handwind that we bought him during his freshmen year, and a few smartwatches (Apple and Garmin Fenix) that get a lot of his wrist-time. He'll very-much be in a professional environment where his dress/appearance will be measured and he typically moves back and forth between the Hamilton and Stowa with past work (same company for the last 2 summers).
    His buddy received a Tudor for his college graduation and he was saying how much he liked the 1926 as posted above.
    If he's NOT going Rolex (whether spending his own money or if my wife and I opt to splurge), should Tudor be high on his list or should we consider other brands in the sub $5k range (e.g. Oris or ...)?
    If he really wants the DJ, I would save for that. Tudor is of course great. I like this Globemaster which is available in both blue and a flat gray (love). It can be had for a discount at most ADs, the price in the link is full retail.

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/o...30959285338187

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If moving into Omega, I agree that the Globemaster and Aqua Terra are good-looking pieces.

My understanding, albeit with ignorance, was that Rolex is a unique piece in build-quality and value-retention.
    As such, I've told my son that if he does get something, to wait until he can afford EXACTLY what he wants ~ that his Hamilton and Stowa are both great pieces that are equal or better than most options below Rolex.

Looking for perspective on whether that's the right perspective and/or other pieces he should consider if a new piece makes sense....to the extent that adding a 5th watch might make sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If moving into Omega, I agree that the Globemaster and Aqua Terra are good-looking pieces.

My understanding, albeit with ignorance, was that Rolex is a unique piece in build-quality and value-retention.
    As such, I've told my son that if he does get something, to wait until he can afford EXACTLY what he wants ~ that his Hamilton and Stowa are both great pieces that are equal or better than most options below Rolex.

Looking for perspective on whether that's the right perspective and/or other pieces he should consider if a new piece makes sense....to the extent that adding a 5th watch might make sense.
    sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. you can spend a lot of money chasing "close enough" substitutes, but sometimes you're never satisfied until you get the real deal.

good thinking, wait, save until he can get the DJ.

I say, if you can swing it, surprise him and split it with him. he's graduating and sounds like a good kid. sounds like he has a very bright future if he's already landed a good job and off to work. you must be a proud dad. good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. you can spend a lot of money chasing "close enough" substitutes, but sometimes you're never satisfied until you get the real deal.

good thinking, wait, save until he can get the DJ.

I say, if you can swing it, surprise him and split it with him. he's graduating and sounds like a good kid. sounds like he has a very bright future if he's already landed a good job and off to work. you must be a proud dad. good stuff.
    Rolex is not unique, does have great build quality, and hold its value better than most other brands (except for Patek).

Wait, save, and get what he wants. A different (or less expensive) option will never satisfy the want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    A different (or less expensive) option will never satisfy the want.
    I can confirm this.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go Tudor just to avoid the cyclops. That and they're just more fun from a design standpoint, the new Oyster Perpetuals not withstanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    I'd go Tudor just to avoid the cyclops. That and they're just more fun from a design standpoint, the new Oyster Perpetuals not withstanding.
    We old people who wear reading glasses need the cyclops especially if we want to read the date without said reading glasses.

IMG_1623.jpgSARB035.jpgSKX011.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    All the green this year.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post

Tudor, IMO, knocked it out of the park. I'd wear every single new model they released. In fact I already asked my wife if I can sell my Black Bay Chrono to get one of the new ones. And the updated 1926 will be an awesome option for people not wanting to spend a ton but still wanting to get into a quality timepiece. And the taupe Black Bay 58 on leather looks fantastic. Well done, Tudor.
    Yea, I agree about the new colors on the 58. Love them all. Star for me is the chrono with reverse panda scheme on that black soft strap plus Bund. I'd make an exception to my sworn size limit of 40mm to take that thing for a ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    Hot take, but I have never understood why people are so obsessed with this watch. Haven't seen it in the metal (which is no shocker given how allocated they seem to be), but based on all pics it looks...fine. In terms of Genta watches, I find the AP Royal Oak to be much more aesthetically pleasing personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    All the green this year.
    Green is so hot right now.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Hot take, but I have never understood why people are so obsessed with this watch. Haven't seen it in the metal (which is no shocker given how allocated they seem to be), but based on all pics it looks...fine. In terms of Genta watches, I find the AP Royal Oak to be much more aesthetically pleasing personally.
    I never understood it either. I have tried them on and they are smallish for a guy my size. But the cool kids like em and the green will make em go nuts. Was pretty funny when pp was "lauded" for killing the old one and blowing up the wait-list. Now all the kids who already have blue will now want green.

I prefer AP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious...for those of you associated with or well-connected with Rolex shops, is a DJ41 with the blue face something that's available? PM me if you could potentially facilitate...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious...for those of you associated with or well-connected with Rolex shops, is a DJ41 with the blue face something that's available? PM me if you could potentially facilitate...
    They're still pretty hard to come by. Do you have a Rolex AD nearby? Getting connected with them is probably your best bet. They're not necessarily as hard to come by as they once were, but demand is still high. What's funny is that a few years ago we couldn't give away the blue dialed watches.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have a Rolex AD nearby?
    My son is in Boston-area, so a few options in that vicinity.

I imagine we/he'll chase those down soon...at this point, he's up to his eyebrows in wrapping up the last bits of his coursework.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine we/he'll chase those down soon...at this point, he's up to his eyebrows in wrapping up the last bits of his coursework.
    Definitely some options up there. I’ll ask my wife if there’s anyone she specifically recommends, but she may not be too familiar with the ADs there.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should be able to order with at most a several month wait. I ordered one in December (no prior connection with AD; DJ 41 rhodium Jubilee sticks). Told 3 months, arrived in three weeks. Philadelphia suburbs. Had asked on a couple of watch forums before shopping, and my experience aligned with the replies I had received. You're unlikely to find one on the shelf, particularly with your choice of markers and bracelet, but they're more obtainable than the pure sports models.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're still pretty hard to come by. Do you have a Rolex AD nearby? Getting connected with them is probably your best bet. They're not necessarily as hard to come by as they once were, but demand is still high. What's funny is that a few years ago we couldn't give away the blue dialed watches.

Definitely some options up there. I’ll ask my wife if there’s anyone she specifically recommends, but she may not be too familiar with the ADs there.
    Unfortunately 2 Boston Rolex ADs have closed during the pandemic (Sidney Thomas in Copley Place, Lux Bond & Green near Newbury Street) due to almost no "non-USA" tourist traffic in the area during the pandemic.

There is a Tourneau in Copley but they are so corporate these days (and were so rude when I went to look for a Patek) your son will not get anything out of them. My family has been customers of the NYC store(s) for more than 40 years and they could have cared less when I went and spoke with the store manager. Like the other 2 that closed, Rolex ADs in the tourist areas live off of tourists spending hundreds of thousands of dollars at one time and that is who they sell difficult to get pieces to all the time and not first time watch buyers.

I would suggest you try the following ADs on the outskirts of Boston and have your son explain this is his first watch:
    - Longs Jewelers (Peabody location) - the watch manager is a mid-30s Asian man (can't remember his name) but he is very nice, is a true collector, loves Rolex and Tudor, and would be worth meeting.
    - Longs in Braintree is another good option. I can't remember his name but there is a mid-30s Rolex Caucasian salesman who has his own blog and is a real collector. Worth a visit to meet him, talk watches, and explain why your son wants the blue dial DJ41. He may be able to help.
    - Longs location in New Hampshire is about a 1 hour drive but worth the trip and no state sales tax.
    - Avoid Longs locations on Summer Street in Boston (caters to financial district types and ignores everyone else) and Burlington location (young sales staff who all seem very rude and dismissive).
    - Lux Bond & Green in Wellesley is another good option. Small multi-location family owned business so they might want to help someone getting their first watch and I have found them very friendly when I have visited.

Unfortunately my hook-up ended when the Sydney Thomas Copley location closed and I only had that connection because my wife and I were customers (jewelry and watches) of the Short Hills, NJ store for about 10 years before we moved to Boston only a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I would suggest you try the following ADs on the outskirts of Boston and have your son explain this is his first watch:
    This is FANTASTIC NYCFixie.
    Thanks a whole bunch....