User Tag List

Page 142 of 174 FirstFirst ... 132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 3471

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

This is fascinating, and makes complete sense. I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Redman episode, which was probably the first one to really go against stereotype (against stereotype of the show that is... Completely with the regular stereotype of race...)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    There is a great article looking at how MTV represented folks with different races. Sounds like the YingYang twins episode fits the narrative.

From

"MTV's popular television series “Cribs” displays the homes of famous athletes and entertainers. “Cribs” presents these male athletes and their households as exemplars of “making it.” This article examines the representation of male athletes and how various types of “successful” masculinity are conflated with race and class. We found two dominant models of successful masculinity, James Bond and Cool Pose. “Cribs” clearly demarcates between Black and White athletes, which essentializes race. Simultaneously, “Cribs” presents race as performative styles providing the audience with opportunities to consume “the other.” We argue that this paradoxical dynamic is utilized to sell the cool lifestyle and has multiple implications, including depoliticizing race, class, and gender."

Smith, Maureen & Beal, Becky. (2007). “So You Can See How the Other Half Lives” MTV “Cribs”' Use of “the Other” in Framing Successful Athletic Masculinities. Journal of Sport & Social Issues. 31. 103-127. 10.1177/0193723507300483.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I try my best to not judge others by how they spend their money so I am not really anti-anything whether it be BMW, Rolex, or Omega. For the record my wife and I have only owned 2 Subaru Outbacks in the past 20 years because we really do not fall into the car as status symbol thing; It is a tool to get us from point A to point B.

I own a Rolex because my father was gifted one by my mother when they got married and then another one for his 40th, my grandfather wore one, and my older brother got one from his wife for his 40th. As such, it is a family thing and not to impress others. I purchased my first Rolex when I received my first significant promotion and salary increase not that long after college. I got my second one from my wife for my 40th. I also bought a Submariner in the past few years but sold it because I did not really connect with it and noticed everyone had one which is not why I enjoy Rolex.

IWC is a wonderful brand with great history and they make fantastic watches. If you can find a pre-owned one (most people hang onto them) the Mark XVIII is a great all around watch that can span beach to boardroom. You are wise to start early so you do not feel pressured to get anything the appears to be a good deal but may not be since there are literally thousands of great pre-owned and new watches to choose from.

In the new and possibly under $2k category, Oris is another great brand with history that has been making some really cool stuff lately. And it is hard not to love the Sinn 104 which is a classic and well regarded amongst watch collectors but not really known to the general public.
    thank you--really appreciate your thoughts. It is not really rationale, my "anti" Rolex stance, and if I'd met/known others 1st, it would be different. Who knows, it may change. I was reading about and really like the green-sapphire Milguass!
    When I used to run, the idea of a Rolex Daytona to time my runs on the C&O canal was tempting, but I saved myself thousands and got an Ti Aquatimer chronograph. I plan to stealthily get input on my bro's watch tastes as well, but this is likely at least 50% what I want to do for his 50th. I hope he'll love it, maybe he'll trade it toward a motorcycle or something.

Thank you for the Oris and Sinn options, I'll be researching them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Is he a watch guy? If not, it might be a well intentioned gift that misses the mark. If his idea of a sweet watch is the latest Apple gizmo, than a vintage auto might seem .... quaint, at best.

Also, having played around with a 50 year old Rolex that belonged to my wife's grands .... meh, would not want to deal with it daily. But for the true connoisseur, a half a century old watch is the bee's knees. For the rest of us, it's just that. Old. Like their knees and back.
    yes, it could miss, I'm the watch guy I guess, although I tend to own 1 at a time, unlike my prior indulgence of road bikes. I made a model of an ancient clock simply from a picture in a book for my 4th grade science fair project, and have always loved mechanical timepieces.

I know for pure practicality, a check or gift card is best, but to me that isn't a personal gift. I recognize this gift is as much about being from me as to him, and if he sells it or trade it, so be it, the gift will be his (to do with as he pleases), but the time and thought is mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    My wrist is only ~6" in diameter. I have a Citizen Eco-Drive diver's watch that is rated to 300m I bought for $150 about 15 years ago. I think the case is max 38mm. If it ever breaks, I doubt I'll be able to find a replacement.
    6.5" wrist here. I've got a similar Citizen diver that's around 40mm. Don't know if it's because of the monoblock case or eco-drive movement, but it's also quite slim at 11mm thick. I also have a Seiko solar chrono at around 43/44mm that I used to really like but now find a bit big/heavy.

I've been wanting to replace both (or n+1 or whatever) but I've really been struggling with which size to get (I should also note that I live at least 5hrs drive away from a half decent watch store). I finally settled on ordering 'homages' of the seiko skx007 and 013 to see what size I prefer. I'll post them in the affordable autos thread when they land. If I end up liking the larger 007, I might spring for the namoki titanium case to get the weight down on the bigger case (and as long as I'm modding the case, I can mod other things).

I was initially leaning towards a titanium diver (Steinhart, Hamtun, or maybe even Helson) for the low weight, but they each had certain design elements which I didn't love. If I end up going the ti custom route, the watch will end up more expensive that these ones, but at least it'll be exactly what I want...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post

...I was reading about and really like the green-sapphire Milguass...
    I am happy to help.

The Milgauss is that watch model that nobody wanted just a few years ago and they were easy to acquire even new. Then it got hyped, then it got discontinued, not sure which came first, and now it is selling above its original retail price which makes no sense to me.

I could have purchased the white dial one three years ago at a 20% discount but passed because I did not love it. Looking back did I make a bad decision?
    https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...tml#post863144

Or how about easy access to the 39mm Explorer or 40mm Air King which all could have been purchased new from an authorized dealer at retail.
    https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...tml#post863202

I could have easily afforded all of them but I know myself well enough that I am not someone who likes to purchase, own, service, and rotate use of expensive things likes watches (or bikes) so I passed on them all. Maybe I could have made some money if I purchased them all 2.5 years ago and sold them today but I actually made so much more money on those funds (not spent on watches) by keeping it invested in the stock market yet I cannot get those watches today because they are in such high demand now. Did I make the correct decision?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mini turtle came in today. Kudos to Fedex, two days from Japan to Macon, GA. SBDY083, 42mm case and a super short 43mm lug to lug. Made in Japan, and everything lines up properly on it, hope I didn't get a fake!

Odd spring bars. Fatter than normal bars (ends and center section) but skinnier than the normal 2.5mm fat Seiko bars (both the ends and the center section). They're skinny enough to fit in rubber straps designed around normal spring bars.

Last edited by dgaddis; 03-05-2021 at 05:35 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Mini turtle came in today. Kudos to Fedex, two days from Japan to Macon, GA. SBDY083, 42mm case and a super short 43mm lug to lug. Made in Japan, and everything lines up properly on it, hope I didn't get a fake!

Odd spring bars. Fatter than normal bars (ends and center section) but skinnier than the normal 2.5mm fat Seiko bars (both the ends and the center section). They're skinny enough to fit in rubber straps designed around normal spring bars.
    UPDATE - actually the ends are the same as the older Seiko spring bars, but there skinnier than some Citizen spring bars I have. The middle section is indeed smaller however.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to the considered thoughts to my questions, I decided to take a plunge into an old watch. I picked up an Omega Geneve Dynamic 1 that is as old as I am(50+), and will see how much of a pain it is to wear/own for a bit. I have a few months before I have to make a decision on new/recent vs 50 yrs old for my brother, and this will help me make that decision. Easy for me as I've always loved watches. I've enjoyed reading this thread on watches, especially what's come out in the last 10 years of so (I think I last bought a mechanical watch in 2009 or 10)--was just reading about the Seiko spring drive and have enjoyed it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just pick up this atomic solar square last week. It's my first G-Shock and I wanted a yellow one and this model caught my eye. Purchased it from the original owner and it's in excellent condition. It came with all of the original packaging and documentation, which is a plus. I have a tiny wrist (just under 6") and watches bigger than 35mm usually look to big but this looks fine with long sleeves. I have a Casio F91W-1 that I purchased a few years back that I actually really like and saw some nice G-Shocks posted here so thought I'd take the plunge. Today is my first day wearing it and so far, so good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Nice. And if you get tired of the yellow, you can pick up a different bezel and strap and completely change the look!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had an opportunity to swap my Speedmaster for a JLC Master Control Date. As much as I enjoyed the chonky chrono, very little need for something timing to that precision in the world we currently live in. It's also a watch at more or less the exact opposite end of the spectrum, 37mm, a shade under 9mm thick, and just a simple three hander with a date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Had an opportunity to swap my Speedmaster for a JLC Master Control Date. As much as I enjoyed the chonky chrono, very little need for something timing to that precision in the world we currently live in. It's also a watch at more or less the exact opposite end of the spectrum, 37mm, a shade under 9mm thick, and just a simple three hander with a date.
    Oh yeah. That, as they say, is the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The world we currently live in might merit the precision of a calendar on your wrist ... but that’s a good looking watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really, really liking the mini turtle. It's under 13mm thick (if you don't include the 'wave' bump on the caseback), and the way the top of the case is contoured it really looks lower-profile than it is, it really hugs the wrist. And with my scrawny wrist the 43mm lug to lug is GREAT. I did not like the look of the stock bracelet, it's an Oyster-style bracelet but the links are one piece, the center piece isn't a separate piece of metal, so the edges are a bit soft. I picked up a Strapcode Jubilee and it looks great IMO. I did re-use the stock clasp as it's much lower-profile than the bulky Strapcode bracelet. I'll eventually swap in a sapphire crystal.

The green is really subtle, depending on lighting it can look nearly black to british racing green to almost teal.

^^last pic taken at Rose Hill cemetery, where Gregg and Duane Allman are buried. They took at least one album cover photo here at Rose Hill, and Elizabeth Reed (who they named 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed' after) is also buried here. They got their start at Capricorn Records here in Macon, so they're a big part of our city's history and culture. If you're ever driving up/down I75 and want a pit stop the Big House (now a museum, formerly their house) is worth a visit, especially if you're a fan.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 03-15-2021 at 08:16 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I've managed to go down this Seiko rabbit hole.

Here's another on my list for a blue dial, do-everything piece. I'm really, really digging this dial. Like....it's my fav. Too dressy, though? I don't know how I feel about having another diver, and this thing checks most of my boxes...39.3mm diameter, 11.1mm thick, 100m WR, and 70hr power reserve.

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough to go wrong with a quality 3-hander with a date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Rolex, after adding this to the others on my wish list, I only waited a bit over 2 months from the AD here in Taiwan. Honestly, I never expected them to call back about anything...I have a little more hope now. Honeymoon effect is strong with this one.

DJ 41-1.jpg

DJ 41-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^That's super nice. Love me a white dial!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I like the Pen ^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post

That JLC is one drool-worthy watch! I wish I could see one in person, pictures rarely do watches justice.