User Tag List

Page 138 of 175 FirstFirst ... 128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 3484

Thread: Timepieces

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Matthew and Choke are right - nothing inherently wrong with Rolexes; they're fine timepieces and good value at MSRP. In fact, they're free. Hear me out - the sports models appreciate predictably. I have a Seadweller I purchased in 2002 - even after 20 years of hard wear, I could sell it for 3.5 times what I paid - well ahead of inflation and I have enjoyed it immensely. I could sell the GMT I lucked into last month for 1.6 MSRP. Most other brands in the same league (and higher horology like VC and Lange) depreciate.

Regarding perceptions - like a fine steel bike, a 911 GT3, etc. there's something inherent that sets them apart and inspires the cult-like devotion. And like a fine bike, nice bottle of wine, 911 GT3, etc. there will be douches who buy them for the name with zero appreciation of what makes them special. For the last few years, SS sports models are near impossible to find at dealers. Rolex controls production to maintain the value of the brand. And yes, some dealers are snobby. Walk out when you encounter them. Others are watch enthusiasts who are nice to speak with and will get you a sports model if they know that you 'get it.' I believe that explains my luck with the GMT. And finally, Rolex is a foundation, not a corporation. They do some decent things with the revenue. Check out rolex.org (as opposed to the watch site, rolex.com)
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a good timepiece is not a rational decision governed by the normal logic. none of us have any delusions that a solid timex or casio will not be sufficient. we are all equally wrong. the heart wants what the heart wants. if you can afford it, get what the heart wants and dont try and rationalize it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I hear you...my wife and I enjoyed a 2-week tour of Italy in the Spring of 2019 and I purchased a large dial digital watch with a rubber strap for the trip, in case I either forgot my good watch in a hotel or had it nabbed. That $10 watch is still running and holding time and replacement batteries cost 1/2 of what the watch did.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Rolex and Grand Seiko are really very different in design, construction, and philosophy. I'm sure people will perceive bias in this statement, but I was very much anti-Rolex until I married into the watch/jewelry industry and started really paying attention. The construction quality for the price point is without a doubt better than their competitors. Grand Seiko are very well made...but they're not for everyone. Then again, if you're really buying for quality, you should be looking at Patek Philippe or maybe Vacheron or A. Lange and Sohne.

Tudors are a fantastic value. Rolex construction quality with price-point appropriate materials (or better) and great designs. Stock is also quite a bit easier to find unless you're looking for a Black Bay 58 Blue.
    Yes, they are different in design. Craftmanship is so high for both but the GS, to me, with their dials especially, take it to a new level. And their prices are something a mere mortal like me can aspire to. Not to mention I don't have to sacrifice a kidney and kiss the AD's ass just get on a waiting list to buy one.

I like your list of "quality" watches. Those are also drool-worthy. There are a lot more but that's fodder for another day.

This thread has been surprisingly devoid of Invicta fan boys. What a refreshing change of pace. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    Not to mention I don't have to sacrifice a kidney and kiss the AD's ass just get on a waiting list to buy one.
    FWIW, like most things, if you’re dealing with a good dealer, you don’t have to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    FWIW, like most things, if you’re dealing with a good dealer, you don’t have to do that.
    in my head, if i ever get to that point, i'm going to hit up a family owned shop in MIA.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if anyone has a Rolex GMT they want to sell, send me a PM :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Patek has killed the 5711.

The secondary market chart on Chrono 24 is like a hockey stick.

Gotta respect a company sticking to it's guns. They said they wouldn't buy into the hype train around the watch by making more of them, and instead they've killed it entirely. Wonder what's going to be announced as a replacement...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FB23FEF2-D947-47DB-9254-D4A19591DA45.jpg

Something a bit different from usual for this thread.

Nixon Regulus, which replaced a 15 year old solar GShock (the solar cell died). I’m a first responder and I needed an inexpensive and durable watch with basic functionality... time, a stopwatch, countdown timer, bright illumination, large buttons easy to press in gloves. Nothing fancy need apply. Planned on acquiring another GShock but stumbled across the Regulus, which was the same and yet still different enough to be interesting. It helped that Nixon has a .gov discount (resulting in an out the door price of $120, a bit higher than a standard GShock but not enough to matter). So far so good. I like it - it has an appealing chunkiness to it and it feels more substantial than a comparable GShock.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nearly a month ago I ordered a 4th gen Monster, it came in yesterday. I don't think it's a keeper. In fact it'll likely be up on the 'bay before the night is over. It's a great design, visually, but the QC and tolerances are really bad.

The chapter ring alignment is bad, really bad. I could push the crystal out a bit and try and realign it, but, eh...I'm not that invested in it.

The bracelet is a POS. The pin and collar system they use is true hot garbage, it's the cheapest way to do it, and it sucks. I like pin and collar, the way Citizen does it, but this thing is the worst. You need two tools, one the push the pin from one side, another to push the collar from the other side. Eff that.

The end links rattle around between the lugs unlike any watch I've ever had, the tolerances are super sloppy. The whole bracelet rattles like crazy, I wear my watches snug, and it still rattles on my wrist, the only watch I've ever had that did that.

I actually don't hate the clasp. The extension thing is useless unless you're actually diving, but, it's slim and fits tight against the bracelet links, and it fits my wrist pretty good, so it lays nice and flat and is thin and nothing sticking out to catch on stuff. But just like the rest of the bracelet it's noisy and feels cheap with everything being pressed vs machined.

Thankfully I got a good deal on it, they threw in some SWAG because it took so long to come in, so hopefully I can get my money back at least. If anyone wants it $330 will get it to your door along with a small size Prospex t-shirt and a prospex pelican-style watch box.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Thankfully I got a good deal on it, they threw in some SWAG because it took so long to come in, so hopefully I can get my money back at least. If anyone wants it $330 will get it to your door along with a small size Prospex t-shirt and a prospex pelican-style watch box.

I'm confused, you have some sort of issue with the watch which is obvious in the pics, but you want nearly as much for a watch with a problem as it does to buy one brand spanking new on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Prospex...2231739&sr=8-3

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    I'm confused, you have some sort of issue with the watch which is obvious in the pics, but you want nearly as much for a watch with a problem as it does to buy one brand spanking new on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Prospex...2231739&sr=8-3
    Yep. Here's the thing about this model tho...they're all eff'd up I think. Every single one I've seen is at least, none are properly aligned. At least my bezel lines up, not all do. And Seiko fans seem alarmingly forgiving of alignment issues, and $330 is just a bit more than I paid for it (to cover shipping) so I felt like that was a fair deal. That's $60 cheaper than Amazon.

But, I've decided to hang onto it and 'fix it'. Went to swap the crystal for a double domed sapphire crystal last night and FUBAR'd the crystal gasket because I wasn't paying attention. So I'm now waiting on a (few) more gaskets. I'm also going to swap out the chapter ring because it's impossible to get the stock plastic chapter ring to be in alignment with all the indices at once, it's just not molded right.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    ok, i was going to post this over in TRF, but don't want to get hit with $10k suggestions that miss the point.

i want a tool watch that's in-between a Pelagos and a BB58....40-42mm, 11-13mm thick, <42hr power reserve. date isn't necessary, but a blue dial would be the cherry on top. brushed finish would be nice.

any suggestions?

i feel as though i'm pretty much describing an Omega Aqua Terra.

i hate the term "tool watch." perhaps "go anywhere, do anything", instead.
    These are the 3 I've narrowed it down to. The first 2 have new movements that I'm really intrigued by, especially that ETA GMT movement in the Mido...but the Mido is a bit large in diameter. The Seiko accuracy is a concern (-15/ +25). There's nothing about the Aquis with their Calibre 400 that I don't like, other than the price.:

Oris Aquis Calibre 400

Mido Ocean Star GMT

Seiko SPB149

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oris makes a great watch, but the one thing to be aware of is the proprietary strap mounting. i own an aquis, 2 actually - but the inability to swap straps in and out is a detractor IMO. That Mido looks nice! The seiko is simply too boring for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Oris makes a great watch, but the one thing to be aware of is the proprietary strap mounting. i own an aquis, 2 actually - but the inability to swap straps in and out is a detractor IMO. That Mido looks nice! The seiko is simply too boring for me.
    oh yeah....that's what I don't like about the Aquis.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That the one with their new in house movement? There's some issue when setting the time the hands will jump a bit when you push the crown back in, so if you're a stickler for setting it *exactly* right, too bad.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had this for about a week now and I'm really happy with it. SBDC105/SPB147

Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    That the one with their new in house movement? There's some issue when setting the time the hands will jump a bit when you push the crown back in, so if you're a stickler for setting it *exactly* right, too bad.
    Good to know. Found the 12pg thread on WUS.

Forgot about this one:

Formex Essence Legerra

Intrigued by the case material. And...I love the clasp. COSC certification is a nice touch, but only a 38hr power reserve and limited to curved springbars.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given their patented deployant, not sure there's a need to swap straps to find one that works. JOMW's review called it the most comfortable watch he's ever worn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those look great but I think the whole suspension system (if that one has the suspension system, I'm not super familiar with their various models) is solving a problem that doesn't really exist and seems prone to issues in longer term wear. I could see it making some noise once it gets some dirt/gunk in there. Looks amazing though.

Wearing my busy ass Citizen today. I love titanium watches.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com