User Tag List

Page 137 of 174 FirstFirst ... 127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 3471

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

If you don't mind gray market, this guy has a pretty good rep on the Rolex forums...

https://davidsw.com/

I've never purchased anything from him, so please continue your due diligence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got this inbound. Picked it up 2nd hand for about half the ~$900-$1000ish retail price. Duratect MRK treated titanium case and bracelet with a DLC coating. Hardness in the 1200-1400Hv range (stainless steel is in the 150-200Hv range for reference). Same excellent quick adjust clasp as another watch I have. Excited to get it, but it's stuck in USPS purgatory. Shipped from OH to me in GA on the 12th, made it to DC on the 16th, no updates since. Eventually it'll get here....

Busy as hell, but some cool stuff. Radio control. Perpetual calendar. Chronograph. World time. Shock resistant. Independent motors for each hand. 200m water resistant.

Pics borrowed from the seller.

Last edited by dgaddis; 12-29-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's here! This one is a keeper. Super light and comfortable on wrist. Even tho it's busy it's still easy to tell the time from a quick glance. I actually found the original owner of this watch on Instagram, he said he sold it to a guy in OH, which is who I bought it from, so that makes me the third owner. Not sure how much wrist time it's had but there's not a single scratch or mark anywhere on it at all. I don't know that anyone does surface treatments as well as Citizen.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Speedmaster day. As always, avoid the comments sections of the news stories of your choice about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    New Speedmaster day. As always, avoid the comments sections of the news stories of your choice about it.
    I'm a fan.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    I'm quite enjoying the Hodinkee comments section.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the new Speedy. I may pick up the sapphire version if/when Topper gets stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I turned 40 in September. I had the idea of walking into a dealer and purchasing my first nice watch to mark the milestone. A stainless steel Rolex or Tudor. Turns out you can't really do that anymore. A few trips over several months and the AD had nothing simple or of interest to me in the case. Anything I asked to see they didn't have, couldn't get, wouldn't add my name to a list. "No chance." Anything I tried on invited huge pressure to buy. Full court press from the sales associates. I probably would've bought that Datejust 36 I posted earlier if the bracelet weren't so flashy. Mentioning dislikes about the pieces ("I'd like something simpler, without polished links" etc) seemed to be invitation for debate about why my tastes were wrong. While being very giving with their time in regards to whats in the case, their attitude is pretty much "take it or leave it." One sales associate even bragged about some baseball player with my name being a regular customer. He gets a lot of watches there. Like I give a shit. I'm just trying to get one. He's better business. I get it.

The whole thing turned me off. I could go grey but I can't really stomach paying more than MSRP. Plus that would blow my budget. I could could try larger dealers and even brand-owned boutiques. But I don't really think I should be driving around during a pandemic just to buy a watch. It's really a drag that a guy cant walk into a store and buy a $6-7K watch to celebrate a milestone.

Anyway. The new Speedy is really nice. Pretty sure after the initial rush I can walk and an get one at MSRP no problem.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    I turned 40 in September. I had the idea of walking into a dealer and purchasing my first nice watch to mark the milestone. A stainless steel Rolex or Tudor. Turns out you can't really do that anymore. A few trips over several months and the AD had nothing simple or of interest to me in the case. Anything I asked to see they didn't have, couldn't get, wouldn't add my name to a list. "No chance." Anything I tried on invited huge pressure to buy. Full court press from the sales associates. I probably would've bought that Datejust 36 I posted earlier if the bracelet weren't so flashy. Mentioning dislikes about the pieces ("I'd like something simpler, without polished links" etc) seemed to be invitation for debate about why my tastes were wrong. While being very giving with their time in regards to whats in the case, their attitude is pretty much "take it or leave it." One sales associate even bragged about some baseball player with my name being a regular customer. He gets a lot of watches there. Like I give a shit. I'm just trying to get one. He's better business. I get it.

The whole thing turned me off. I could go grey but I can't really stomach paying more than MSRP. Plus that would blow my budget. I could could try larger dealers and even brand-owned boutiques. But I don't really think I should be driving around during a pandemic just to buy a watch. It's really a drag that a guy cant walk into a store and buy a $6-7K watch to celebrate a milestone.

Anyway. The new Speedy is really nice. Pretty sure after the initial rush I can walk and an get one at MSRP no problem.
    As an owner of the older Speedmaster, there isn't too much of a difference if you don't mind having the latest and greatest. Definitely an evolution vs a revolution, IMO. I think if you can find one with the older 1861 movement you will be more than happy (all that assuming you can't find the newer one currently and want one now vs later).

I do love the new Ed White Speedmaster with the remade 321 movement, but that one is almost certainly harder to find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omega has many excellent watches for sale in authorized dealers everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree that it's a shame you can't just walk in and buy a rolex sports watch at msrp.

my son is 9 now, but i fondly recall on my first father's day as a father walking into the AD and happily telling the associate about why i was in such a good mood. i had done a few deals with him before and he offered me a hefty discount on my ND Sub. i still get a christmas card from him every year.

i'd be frustrated and turned off too if i couldnt just get what i wanted too-day. i have to say i'm baffled as to why they wouldnt be interested in putting you on a wait list, that strikes me as odd.

i admit at the time i got my SD, Daytonas were the hot item and you couldnt touch them. also if spending big $$$, out of principle, dont care how much i want a watch, no way i'm paying a non-AD more than msrp for a watch, period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are airport watch shops a good option to in-city dealers? I've idly wondered about pricing and support while browsing in a few of them. Of course, times being what they are, it's not likely I'll be back in CdG or Narita soon ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    picked up the Hamilton this evening.

Everything that I wanted. ETA 2824 movement, decent sized case, sapphire, relatively inexpensive.
    So this one ended up being sold to a fellow here on VSalon. For the past couple years I've wanted to replace it, since there was some sentimental value, but haven't found them anywhere at what I'd consider to be a reasonable price (consider how much I paid for it back in 2009. Welp, last week while the office was kinda slow, I started digging again and found this one for a bargain, relatively speaking. So I snatched it up. It arrived yesterday. Showed it to wifey and she immediately smiled, saying "I remember this one. This is what you were wearing when we met." Swapped out the strap, and here it is.

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Are airport watch shops a good option to in-city dealers? I've idly wondered about pricing and support while browsing in a few of them. Of course, times being what they are, it's not likely I'll be back in CdG or Narita soon ...
    there's a VAT arbitrage...since most people don't declare when they get statesite and just have them on the wrist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Hamilton is awesome, Dustin.

I got this in as a Christmas present to myself. Not sold stateside, but if you know where to look, you can find one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For several reasons (certainly the high cost is one, but it isn't as if I can't afford them) I've decided that there's no way that I'll even consider getting a Rolex, as good as a watch as they seem to be. The # 1 reason for me is that they've become such a huge show-off status symbol that I wouldn't want to even think of myself as the type of person who might wear one. I'd rather people think I'm a poor shlub who can only afford to wear a $20 Casio than wear a Rolex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like in any other retail business there are good places to buy from and bad ones. If you visit another dealer you may well have a different experience. I can understand not wanting to drive all over the place but you could give them a call and see if there's a reason it would be worthwhile.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    Just like in any other retail business there are good places to buy from and bad ones. If you visit another dealer you may well have a different experience. I can understand not wanting to drive all over the place but you could give them a call and see if there's a reason it would be worthwhile.
    Maybe your just not a “Rolex type” and the shop keeper knew and if you don’t - look at them as doing you a favor - remember/mark your milestones in life with experiences and avoid trinkets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather buy a Grand Seiko over a Rolex any day. While Rolexes are high quality, they are also way overpriced due to the high demand and everyone and their grandmother has copied their look so that at 6 feet away, you can't tell if they are wearing a Rolex or a Seiko or some microbrand that has copied the Rolex almost to a T.

My brother in law and his sons have Rolexes and they know absolutely nothing about watches except 'Rolexes are the best, everyone says so'. They also think Bose makes the best audio equipment in the world, too.

Tudors are an excellent value and I don't know why you can't buy one of those. They are excellent watches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    I'd rather buy a Grand Seiko over a Rolex any day. While Rolexes are high quality, they are also way overpriced due to the high demand and everyone and their grandmother has copied their look so that at 6 feet away, you can't tell if they are wearing a Rolex or a Seiko or some microbrand that has copied the Rolex almost to a T.

My brother in law and his sons have Rolexes and they know absolutely nothing about watches except 'Rolexes are the best, everyone says so'. They also think Bose makes the best audio equipment in the world, too.

Tudors are an excellent value and I don't know why you can't buy one of those. They are excellent watches.
    Rolex and Grand Seiko are really very different in design, construction, and philosophy. I'm sure people will perceive bias in this statement, but I was very much anti-Rolex until I married into the watch/jewelry industry and started really paying attention. The construction quality for the price point is without a doubt better than their competitors. Grand Seiko are very well made...but they're not for everyone. Then again, if you're really buying for quality, you should be looking at Patek Philippe or maybe Vacheron or A. Lange and Sohne.

Tudors are a fantastic value. Rolex construction quality with price-point appropriate materials (or better) and great designs. Stock is also quite a bit easier to find unless you're looking for a Black Bay 58 Blue.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids