User Tag List

Page 136 of 174 FirstFirst ... 126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 3471

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

I've been passively looking for a used, nice Rolex for a while. There are a lot of places online (jomashop, eBay, etc) you can snag one, but I see a lot of mixed reviews out there... As I start to look more seriously, I thought I'd ask the experts here for their advice on where to look. I'm considering either the new-gen Air-King, Milgauss, or a classic Submariner. That said, I'm definitely open to other options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.timefanatics.com/

Alfred (FNFZ4 on the forums) at Time Fanatics is my go-to.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your timeline and budget?

When I went down the Rolex rabbit hole I soon learned 2 things-
    1.) You can't really save any $ by going used.
    2.) There is a lot to know about getting a used Rolex in terms of getting one that has not been over-polished and similar.

If you don't need to have your watch right now- The best play is to get on a waiting list at your local AD.

I would lean more towards the Submariner than either an Air King or Milgauss. The last 2 seem like watches that people opt for because they want to spend less.

Quote Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
    I've been passively looking for a used, nice Rolex for a while. There are a lot of places online (jomashop, eBay, etc) you can snag one, but I see a lot of mixed reviews out there... As I start to look more seriously, I thought I'd ask the experts here for their advice on where to look. I'm considering either the new-gen Air-King, Milgauss, or a classic Submariner. That said, I'm definitely open to other options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
    I'll admit a touch of bias here, but you really should be looking to buy, either second hand or new, from an authorized Rolex dealer. It's not a cheap purchase and risking it to the word of a stranger or a web shop with no skin in the game with Rolex official could bite you. Some ADs have web shops and will sell second hand online, so I'm not saying you have to limit yourself to the stores in your area, but don't buy from someone who can't guarantee your purchase.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new addition to commemorate a number of different things, but timing just worked out it ended up being an under the tree present to myself this year. Many thanks to Mr Strongin on the assist for tracking down this Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue. It's definitely a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    A new addition to commemorate a number of different things, but timing just worked out it ended up being an under the tree present to myself this year. Many thanks to Mr Strongin on the assist for tracking down this Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue. It's definitely a keeper.

Man I wish I could pull off that size.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently made aware of the Black Bay Steel, ref 79730. Pretty much checks none of my boxes, but that’s a dang good looking watch. I wish Tudor would slim the 41 cases down to 58 size or so. That slab of polished steel on the non-crown side is so eye catching.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice. I just picked one up as well, on the blue strap. Did you get bracelet or strap? If you have the bracelet, did you have issues with sizing it that some have described?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEasley View Post
    Very nice. I just picked one up as well, on the blue strap. Did you get bracelet or strap? If you have the bracelet, did you have issues with sizing it that some have described?
    Got it on the strap. I don't like the BB58 bracelet, so didn't bother with getting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good Flash!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great looking watch.
    Love the photo too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Tudors ... heavy? I don’t think that is the right word, but I’m wondering if they feel substantial on the wrist. For instance, my friend dropped his Seamaster on a bracelet into my hand and it felt like it looked. I’d call it heavy.
    Last edited by 72gmc; 12-27-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Are Tudors ... heavy? I don’t think that is the right word, but I’m wondering if they feel substantial on the wrist. For instance, my friend dropped his Seamaster on a bracelet into my hand and it felt like it looked. I’d call it heavy.
    They feel well built. Stout, but not overly heavy. It will really depend on whether you have it on bracelet or strap, or which model specifically. The Black Bay Bronze will have some really heft to it. The Black Bay 41 doesn't really feel heavy at all, though it's well built. Another factor is how it feels on the wrist and that can come down to the fit of the bracelet or strap. One of my dive watches is a fairly large model (it's huge) and in hand it feels very heavy. But on the wrist with a properly fitting bracelet, the weight is barely noticeable. On a lightweight Nato it's borderline unwearable. Totally top heavy. One of my Tudors is the OG Black Bay red bezel and I wear it on a leather strap most of the time. It's very, very comfortable, but doesn't feel flimsy at all. My Black Bay Chrono has a bit more heft and really wears best on a bracelet to balance out the weight. That's the long winded non-answer. Short answer: it depends, though I'd say they're substantial without being unnecessarily heavy.

Also, fwiw, that Seamaster may have felt much more comfortable on the wrist than it might have seemed in the palm of your hand. Depending on the model, that is. The Planet Ocean chrono is a bit of a bruiser, though I'm still a big fan of the model.

I you're curious about any of the specific models, let me know. I've handled pretty much every watch in their lineup.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love my Heritage Ranger. I'm wondering if Tudor will re-introduce them. I don't think they sold that well previously, which is actually a plus point for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of depends on your wrist, and which model, but I can say for myself with wrist just under 7 inches, the BB58 is dare i say, the perfect diver and 'tool' watch for my wrist. Very welcome model under 40mm for those of us who have grown tired of the overly-chunky options out there that seem to be overcompensating as dive watches or 'tough' guy watches bordering on 45mm case sizes. The one shown feels very light on my wrist, though if it had the bracelet I'm sure it would be a bit more substantial. The black strap is definitely temporary only, this thing needs a gray or brown option for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's all a matter of perspective and what you are used to. relativity, if you will.

i have been wearing my all titanium ball for a few weeks now, and if i swap to a stainless diver on a bracelet, it certainly feels heavier, but if i wear that watch for a week, it is the new normal.

in short, dont let initial impressions of a watches "felt weight" trip you up. new things feel different. wear them for 2 weeks and it will be second nature and feel "normal"

in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    Love my Heritage Ranger. I'm wondering if Tudor will re-introduce them. I don't think they sold that well previously, which is actually a plus point for me.

That’s such a great model. We could never figure out why they weren’t more popular.

Sean, I wear my black bay red on leather from Bulang & Sons and it’s an awesome combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others mentioned it depends. If the aggregate weight is relatively high, but it's balanced between the watch head and the bracelet, it can feel very natural when you're wearing it. It's when you get the weight concentrated in one area or another that it becomes a bit much.

I've seen reviewers and the like say about 150 grams is the steel sports watch sweet spot for weight, and I tend to agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate watches but I’m not knowledgeable. The concept of balance between the band/bracelet and head is not something I’d thought about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a heavy Seiko Prospex Divers, I was allergic to the original rubber (or whatever it was made of) so I swapped it out for a Geckota NATO G10 Military style nylon band, and I really like that band, it made the watch very comfortable to wear, and the band has held up extremely well after 8 or so years of use even the holes haven't even remotely started to fray from use. The band is nylon so it will stain with use but I soak it in Biz Stain Fighter by rolling the band and putting it inside the Biz cap and then fill the cap with Biz, after 2 or so hours throw it in the wash with my other clothes, add the Biz it was soaking in, and later it looks brand new.