User Tag List

Page 129 of 175 FirstFirst ... 119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    But I also think an ETA-based Heritage Black Bay Blue would be killer...especially at 6'2, 210. But I prefer 40mm+ cases.
    Yeah, I gotta try them all on. If I can avoid the hype and mark up of the 58 even better.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I just discovered the Sinn UX: 500 bar rating, beaucoup anti-mag, anti-shock, can operate in a volcano/iceberg, oil/hydro-filled case, chronometer quartz and I was like ...quartz.
    Before the UX there was the EZM2 with the same concept - quartz and oil filled. I owned one for a while and I liked everything about it except the crown on the left side; it dug into my wrist. One nice benefit of the oil filled case was that there was no glare and it was easy to read the time from crazy angles.

I have been on my third automatic now and I always loved the "lasting worth" of mechanical objects (and tools, bikes, etc.) - their form is their function, etc.... but now I'm trying to wrap my head around quartz watches being good, actually? Wut? Anyway, like many, I appreciate the "soul" of the mechanical movement, it being an idiosyncratic, handmade object of tradition, etc., same deal as why many of us like steel bikes. But what the quartz movement in the UX allows for in terms of accuracy, durability, etc., is enticing to this one-watch to rule them all type guy. (also do you think quartz movements are actually like way more meaningfully durable? Like, would you go mountain biking in it? Swing a hammer?)

Anyway, would you auto devotees kick an otherwise unbelievable watch the curb because it lacks the j'nay'say'quois of an auto movement? I am, like, reevaluating what I thought were first principles when it comes to watches, lol.
    I also tend to look down on quartz watches to some degree but they can be amazingly accurate.....Brietling's SuperQuartz and the Grand Seikos come to mind. And quartz watches are no doubt more durable than mechanical ones.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    Before the UX there was the EZM2 with the same concept - quartz and oil filled. I owned one for a while and I liked everything about it except the crown on the left side; it dug into my wrist. One nice benefit of the oil filled case was that there was no glare and it was easy to read the time from crazy angles.

I also tend to look down on quartz watches to some degree but they can be amazingly accurate.....Brietling's SuperQuartz and the Grand Seikos come to mind. And quartz watches are no doubt more durable than mechanical ones.
    Sweet, that's helpful. Not that I definitely am, (but hope to) but if you were deciding between a regular U1 and a UX what do you say? There's the tried and true ETA/Sellita on the one hand, or the every seven year battery change on the other. Aesthetically the U1 in blue goes with my whole thang and looks pretty classy for such a brute, but man that UX is cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Currently have a SXK007, Marathon Navigator, and a Casio F-91w yellow that gives off unintentional Livestrong vibes. I'm turning 40 in a few weeks and am considering buying myself my first "real" watch. I'm toying with the idea of a vintage Datejust, a model Rolex introduced on their 40th. I like steel, white gold, two-tone on a strap. Currently obsessed with Buckley dials or weird dial colors. Basically any 1601 or 1603 that doesn't look like every other 1601 or 1603. How fragile are these things? I'm 6'2'', 210lb, and work in bikes. I knock into stuff. Can I wear a vintage watch daily?

The other watches I'm looking at would be new and more robust, Turdor Black Bay 58 or Pelagos.
    Pelagos a thousand times over. I love mine and will in all likelihood be buried with the thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Sweet, that's helpful. Not that I definitely am, (but hope to) but if you were deciding between a regular U1 and a UX what do you say? There's the tried and true ETA/Sellita on the one hand, or the every seven year battery change on the other. Aesthetically the U1 in blue goes with my whole thang and looks pretty classy for such a brute, but man that UX is cool.
    I would go with the UX. The oil filled case is a cool idea and is very unique but a bigger factor is that I don't like the hands on the U1 at all.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently have a SXK007, Marathon Navigator, and a Casio F-91w yellow that gives off unintentional Livestrong vibes. I'm turning 40 in a few weeks and am considering buying myself my first "real" watch. I'm toying with the idea of a vintage Datejust, a model Rolex introduced on their 40th. I like steel, white gold, two-tone on a strap. Currently obsessed with Buckley dials or weird dial colors. Basically any 1601 or 1603 that doesn't look like every other 1601 or 1603. How fragile are these things? I'm 6'2'', 210lb, and work in bikes. I knock into stuff. Can I wear a vintage watch daily?

The other watches I'm looking at would be new and more robust, Turdor Black Bay 58 or Pelagos.
    DateJusts are great watches and unless you go back to the real early ones it will be fine. I would worry more about water resistance than shock resistance on an older one. Banging into stuff isn't the issue unless you use the watch to deal with a stuck headset/BB/seatpost. Jack Nicholas wore one for something like 40 years while playing golf and never had an issue.

The Pelagos is also very nice but a different watch. Super comfortable bracelet with this spring adjustment so it always has the right fit. You are comparing a dress/sports watch with a diver's watch which is difficult unless you know what style you prefer for an all-rounder which the Datejust is very good at. The DateJust can be a sports watch but the Pelagos cannot be a classic dress watch even on a strap.

I'd personally go Pelagos, given bike work. Though I might be biased.

However, it's chunky, so you'll need to be aware of that when dealing with paint in tight quarters. The BB58 in blue really has my attention, but the polished sides will show wear quickly.
    Should not matter. Neither one has more shock resistance than the other so if you are not careful, either movement can be damaged. Often people think dive watches are more resilient for some reason but not so and those same people worry that they must treat a datejust like some precious doo-dad. They are both good solidly built watches.

But I also think an ETA-based Heritage Black Bay Blue would be killer...especially at 6'2, 210. But I prefer 40mm+ cases.
    The dial is the more in demand one but who cares now since they are so overpriced. The one advantage is that the ETA version is a bit thinner. Again, does her want a diver watch or a dress/sport watch that can be work all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    DateJusts are great watches and unless you go back to the real early ones it will be fine. I would worry more about water resistance than shock resistance on an older one. Banging into stuff isn't the issue unless you use the watch to deal with a stuck headset/BB/seatpost. Jack Nicholas wore one for something like 40 years while playing golf and never had an issue.

The Pelagos is also very nice but a different watch. Super comfortable bracelet with this spring adjustment so it always has the right fit. You are comparing a dress/sports watch with a diver's watch which is difficult unless you know what style you prefer for an all-rounder which the Datejust is very good at. The DateJust can be a sports watch but the Pelagos cannot be a classic dress watch even on a strap.

Should not matter. Neither one has more shock resistance than the other so if you are not careful, either movement can be damaged. Often people think dive watches are more resilient for some reason but not so and those same people worry that they must treat a datejust like some precious doo-dad. They are both good solidly built watches.

The dial is the more in demand one but who cares now since they are so overpriced. The one advantage is that the ETA version is a bit thinner. Again, does her want a diver watch or a dress/sport watch that can be work all the time.
    I think a BB58 could be dressed up or down. I rarely have to suit up anymore anyway. I think I'm leaning this way over the Pelagos for the versatility.

A bunch of new Rolexes will be announced Sep 1. Maybe Tudor too?

Either way, I'm going to go to a dealer and try on whatever I can. Definitely gotta see it on.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a BB58 could be dressed up or down. I rarely have to suit up anymore anyway. I think I'm leaning this way over the Pelagos for the versatility.

Either way, I'm going to go to a dealer and try on whatever I can. Definitely gotta see it on.
    The try on is key. One of my watches is a model that I thought was stupid and my wife (before she was my wife) told me that I'd love. It's huge and bold and a tool for a job I'm not capable of performing. And as soon as I tried it on I was sold. Sometimes they just look different on the wrist and that's what it takes to connect with a model. The Black Bay 58 is awesome in person and definitely on my short list. I have an ETA Black Bay red bezel and it's probably my most worn watch. The size is great, even for my slender, delicate wrists. I also really like the Pelagos, but haven't had a chance to get one yet. When I do, it'll be the Pelagos LHD. The Black Bay Chrono is also really nice, but less versatile because the dial is very sporty. I've got a real dress watch for the once every 3 years I wear a suit and I mostly live in Vans, shorts and t-shirts, so sporty is fine with me. Anyway, you're looking at some great options.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack Nicklaus wore a day date but never while golfing

Do you ride even ride bikes or just chime in on the watch and sock threads?

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post

Who are you asking here?
    And, there are sock threads on V Place?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And once again you are wrong. There are several reports over the years that he wore it on and off the course. And you are splitting hairs or just be annoying because I am sure you know, as I do, that a DayDate is simply a DateJust with the additional day of the week complication and only comes in precious metals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Who are you asking here?
    And, there are sock threads on V Place?
    He is baiting me. I get the sense he has no life other than to troll people on forums. I often ignore him. Like all trolls, if you ignore them, they do not get what they want (a reaction).

And here is another example from not that long ago...

what's your point?

do you even ride bikes or do you just chime in on the watch threads?
    And another...

come for the bikes, stay for the shoe tips i guess
    Maybe he needs a timeout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the only question is Pepsi or Batman?

https://hypebeast.com/2020/8/timex-p...ary-collection

EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    I think the only question is Pepsi or Batman?

https://hypebeast.com/2020/8/timex-p...ary-collection

Longtime Peanuts fan here. But I feel my arm hair ripping out just looking at those bracelets.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Longtime Peanuts fan here. But I feel my arm hair ripping out just looking at those bracelets.
    Shave your arms!
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    And once again you are wrong. There are several reports over the years that he wore it on and off the course. And you are splitting hairs or just be annoying because I am sure you know, as I do, that a DayDate is simply a DateJust with the additional day of the week complication and only comes in precious metals.
    “I didn’t play golf with a watch on but it came on as soon as I came off the golf course my watch and wallet came back onto me,” Nicklaus told CNBC’s Squawk Box

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikedoj.../#76e85cd3501e

please continue to regale us with your expertise on all things non-bike related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please continue to regale us with your expertise on all things non-bike related
    I pity you.

I can only imagine that people who actually know you find you insufferable. It's sad that your only means of making yourself feel better is to anonymously troll others on internet forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey what time is it?

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

play. nice. with. others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What e-RICHIE said. This is a fun thread...let's keep it that way.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids