User Tag List

Page 128 of 174 FirstFirst ... 118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 3471

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Ok, watch experts,

How often should we expect to need to send our watch for re-waterproofimg, and how often for a full spa trip?

My Speedmaster quit again. Last time I picked up a timex (since broken-plastic ears) and dropped by their boutique in NYC, left it with them for three+ months, got a plastic baggie full of parts and a watch that ran beautifully/accurately until, a year and a half later, it fogged up on a sweaty hike. It hasn't run reliably since. Having a 90% reliable awesome watch is even worse than having no watch.

Is this expected? If so, the $50 Swatch is winning the "wristwatch that does not torture me and also won't make me late for plane flights when I start traveling again" award.

Best Regards,

Will
    William M deRosset
    Fort Collins CO USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WMdeR View Post
    Ok, watch experts,

How often should we expect to need to send our watch for re-waterproofimg, and how often for a full spa trip?

My Speedmaster quit again. Last time I picked up a timex (since broken-plastic ears) and dropped by their boutique in NYC, left it with them for three+ months, got a plastic baggie full of parts and a watch that ran beautifully/accurately until, a year and a half later, it fogged up on a sweaty hike. It hasn't run reliably since. Having a 90% reliable awesome watch is even worse than having no watch.

Is this expected? If so, the $50 Swatch is winning the "wristwatch that does not torture me and also won't make me late for plane flights when I start traveling again" award.

Best Regards,

Will
    William M deRosset
    Fort Collins CO USA
    How old is the watch and does it have the co-axial movement? Here's some info straight from Omega:

Interventions & Prices | OMEGA US(R)

Looks like they're saying around 5-8 years for full service with an annual waterproofness test to check the gaskets. I'd say that if you had a moisture problem within a few years of an authorized or official boutique doing a full service, something out of the ordinary happened and you should take it back to them to correct. So, no, that is not to be expected. Maybe if it's a fairly old watch without all their latest and greatest tech (including seals and the like), but if it's reasonably modern and the service center was authorized, which a boutique would be, that's not normal.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Bracelet is in. Still trying to decide if I like how it wears. The endlinks are long...but they do angle down and it wraps around my wrist fairly well. I'm gonna give it a few days...but I may end up selling the bracelet and just sticking with the resin band.

I assume it's for 16mm lugs?
    Since I use my GA-800 everyday, the one-piece silicone straps seem to go pants after 6 months of day-in-day-out use. Do you have a link for that bracelet, and how do you rate its coating?
    Cheers
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strongin is correct. Assuming you left it with an authorized dealer and/or official Omega service center, I would go back to them to determine remedies. I am not sure what Omega does but the "official" Rolex service centers give you two year warranty on factory service. My guess is that if you left it with a boutique or authorized dealer in NYC, they sent it out to the NJ based service center. You might want to call them directly because they should still have the records if the service was within the previous few years.

Official OMEGA(R) Service Centre in United States | OMEGA US(R)

IME, official service centers and/or authorized dealers who send the watches out to the official service center brings the best results.

Also IME, these options bring less desirable results (from best to worst):
    internal authorized dealer's watchmaker => local non-manufacturer watchmaker => mall jewelry store => some guy who knows watches that your friend, bob, recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    How old is the watch and does it have the co-axial movement? Here's some info straight from Omega:

Interventions & Prices | OMEGA US(R)

Looks like they're saying around 5-8 years for full service with an annual waterproofness test to check the gaskets. I'd say that if you had a moisture problem within a few years of an authorized or official boutique doing a full service, something out of the ordinary happened and you should take it back to them to correct. So, no, that is not to be expected. Maybe if it's a fairly old watch without all their latest and greatest tech (including seals and the like), but if it's reasonably modern and the service center was authorized, which a boutique would be, that's not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by WMdeR View Post
    Ok, watch experts,

Best Regards,

Will
    William M deRosset
    Fort Collins CO USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nummy! I never really got Sinns, likely because I'm not into pilot watches, but these are wonderful.
    Last edited by deano; 07-19-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post

Nummy! I never really got Sinns, likely because I'm not into pilot watches, but these are wonderful.
    I agree. I think the U50 is a smaller and much better version of the U1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    I assume it's for 16mm lugs?
    Since I use my GA-800 everyday, the one-piece silicone straps seem to go pants after 6 months of day-in-day-out use. Do you have a link for that bracelet, and how do you rate its coating?
    Cheers
    It’s the GMW-B5000 aka the “full metal square”. The lugs aren’t the same as many of the older G Shocks.

The coating is DLC so it should hold up well. The only version of this watch that came with DLC however was a limited edition model when they first launched, it was like $1200 and sold out immediately. For some reason Casio keeps making the bezels and bracelets tho, so That’s what I’ve got, purchased separately. My watch started out with a resin band and IP bezel. I swapped the bezel immediately and just now picked up the matching bracelet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an vintage 1978' 5513 Rolex Sub ( no date ) that has required service about every 6 to 7 years on average over it's life. Rolex directly services and guarantees the watch against any issue for a years time. One must be careful on what you ask for from a Rolex service perspective because that are apt to replace just about everything on the watch and polish as well...which it a huge no no on vintage watches. I specially asked that they NOT polish case or band but that did and I went back to Rolex and complained and the service was done for nothing.

Once the service is complete they will pressure test it for conformity and send it on its way - cost of service was $1100.00

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree about Sinn. I have a pilot watch from them from quite a few years ago and it has fond memories, but I am not a pilot. I use it to time cooking. They have a couple of simple 3 hand models, not too big, and fairly low key. They will fit under your cuffs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Friday: here is Stone Cold Steve Austin wearing a Sinn U1 while eating hot wings on tv. Man, I love those watches. I was trying to look at pictures to see if the hot new 42mm U50 or the O.G. 44mm U1 would look better on my 7" wrist. On Stone Cold, the enormous U1 looks like it got shrink-rayed.

Steve-Austin.jpg

Carry on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was just offered a skydweller at msrp...sadly it was the black face so i passed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Finally arrived today:

Always regretted selling that one. Traded another Pelagos for this 8500 PO.

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Happy Friday: here is Stone Cold Steve Austin wearing a Sinn U1 while eating hot wings on tv. Man, I love those watches. I was trying to look at pictures to see if the hot new 42mm U50 or the O.G. 44mm U1 would look better on my 7" wrist. On Stone Cold, the enormous U1 looks like it got shrink-rayed.

Steve-Austin.jpg

Carry on.
    Brother! Same same. I will never need another watch as my Seamaster is the handsome cockroach of the watch universe ;) However, that d@mn Sinn haunts me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Brother! Same same. I will never need another watch as my Seamaster is the handsome cockroach of the watch universe ;) However, that d@mn Sinn haunts me.
    I have a serotta I will trade anyone for a U1 SDR lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just discovered the Sinn UX: 500 bar rating, beaucoup anti-mag, anti-shock, can operate in a volcano/iceberg, oil/hydro-filled case, chronometer quartz and I was like ...quartz.

I have been on my third automatic now and I always loved the "lasting worth" of mechanical objects (and tools, bikes, etc.) - their form is their function, etc.... but now I'm trying to wrap my head around quartz watches being good, actually? Wut? Anyway, like many, I appreciate the "soul" of the mechanical movement, it being an idiosyncratic, handmade object of tradition, etc., same deal as why many of us like steel bikes. But what the quartz movement in the UX allows for in terms of accuracy, durability, etc., is enticing to this one-watch to rule them all type guy. (also do you think quartz movements are actually like way more meaningfully durable? Like, would you go mountain biking in it? Swing a hammer?)

Anyway, would you auto devotees kick an otherwise unbelievable watch the curb because it lacks the j'nay'say'quois of an auto movement? I am, like, reevaluating what I thought were first principles when it comes to watches, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like having a manual watch. Winding it is another one of those morning rituals to help you ease in to the day. Never wind it on the wrist as you will likely bend the crown pin. I am sure you all know that. After about 6 years I contacted the independent maker and said I thought both of mine could do with a service. Oils mainly. I sent them off and asked if they had any old parts to make one of them a bit more unusual. I said do what you want. They came back immaculately packed. One looked new and had a free new strap. The other had been semi skeletonised which must have involved an awful lot of work and new parts. I received a very modest bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quartz watches are absolutely worthy of your attention. In this case, the main reason Sinn uses a quartz movement is that a mechanical movement would have difficulty operating since the case is oil-filled. The UX is a great watch. If you're looking for a hardcore dive watch, it definitely deserves consideration. I like mechanical watches as much as the next guy, but over half of my watches use quartz movements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently have a SXK007, Marathon Navigator, and a Casio F-91w yellow that gives off unintentional Livestrong vibes. I'm turning 40 in a few weeks and am considering buying myself my first "real" watch. I'm toying with the idea of a vintage Datejust, a model Rolex introduced on their 40th. I like steel, white gold, two-tone on a strap. Currently obsessed with Buckley dials or weird dial colors. Basically any 1601 or 1603 that doesn't look like every other 1601 or 1603. How fragile are these things? I'm 6'2'', 210lb, and work in bikes. I knock into stuff. Can I wear a vintage watch daily?

The other watches I'm looking at would be new and more robust, Turdor Black Bay 58 or Pelagos.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Currently have a SXK007, Marathon Navigator, and a Casio F-91w yellow that gives off unintentional Livestrong vibes. I'm turning 40 in a few weeks and am considering buying myself my first "real" watch. I'm toying with the idea of a vintage Datejust, a model Rolex introduced on their 40th. I like steel, white gold, two-tone on a strap. Currently obsessed with Buckley dials or weird dial colors. Basically any 1601 or 1603 that doesn't look like every other 1601 or 1603. How fragile are these things? I'm 6'2'', 210lb, and work in bikes. I knock into stuff. Can I wear a vintage watch daily?

The other watches I'm looking at would be new and more robust, Turdor Black Bay 58 or Pelagos.
    I'd personally go Pelagos, given bike work. Though I might be biased.

However, it's chunky, so you'll need to be aware of that when dealing with paint in tight quarters. The BB58 in blue really has my attention, but the polished sides will show wear quickly.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I also think an ETA-based Heritage Black Bay Blue would be killer...especially at 6'2, 210. But I prefer 40mm+ cases.
    -Dustin