User Tag List

Page 121 of 175 FirstFirst ... 111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: timepieces

Cool new watch, @boots2000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Timepiece talk:

Since i am stuck WFH every single day these days, I have decided that I will plank for 90 seconds every hour that i am WFH, so at the top of every hour, i hold a traditional plank position for 90 seconds. Believe it or not, it's awesome and really breaks up the day.

Anyway, I pulled out my old diamond stopwatch. I bought this years ago, and it's a simple joy to use for timing things. Mechanical movement and the second hand smoothly clicks off the seconds. Hand wind, of course. This is a cheapie, but cool time keeper. Wondering if anyone has experience with handheld mechanical stopwatches? I wouldnt mind keeping an eye out for something swiss made or slightly better quality. It is a pleasure to use a good mechanical tool for a mundane task.

IMG_5241.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    "...Mechanical movement and the second hand smoothly clicks off the seconds. Hand wind, of course..."
    Very nice, @AngryScientist.

Totally agree there is something far more satisfying about seeing the single hand approaching the 12 o’clock position as opposed to the sterile digital gray readout of a contemporary coach's stopwatch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out for a 'drive' with the little one this morning.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    "...Out for a 'drive'..."
    I see what you did there!
    Pedal car drive plus an Eco-Drive. ;-)

That watch will likely be a major hit.
    Lightweight, hypoallergenic, accurate, legible, and day/date helps with days all running together. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice watch; great to be out with the little one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's me in Mongolia last September with one of my watches with a GMT function.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like the beginning of the end for Baselworld. I’m actually surprised it took this long...

Rolex, Patek Philippe and other leading watch brands leave Baselworld for new trade show - The National
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    It sounds like the beginning of the end for Baselworld. I’m actually surprised it took this long...

Rolex, Patek Philippe and other leading watch brands leave Baselworld for new trade show - The National
    The beginning of the end was a few years ago when a bunch of brands jumped over to SIHH. Baselworld has been on life support since then. This is more like one of the final nails in the coffin. On the one hand, I'm a bit bummed as Baselworld was such an over the top (in a good way) trade show. I still remember first walking into the main gallery on my first trip about 10 years ago and being in awe. But, on the other hand, I'd much rather go to Geneva than Basel. Not just for a change of scenery and really liking Geneva, but also for ease. Hotels in Basel had gotten absurd around the show. Geneva should be much better positioned to support the event. And being in Geneva also makes it easier to visit the must-see Patek museum.

I do get a nice little chuckle out of the press releases including Tudor as one of the 5 brands that's leaving Baselworld as if they aren't a part of Rolex.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    The beginning of the end was a few years ago when a bunch of brands jumped over to SIHH. Baselworld has been on life support since then. This is more like one of the final nails in the coffin. On the one hand, I'm a bit bummed as Baselworld was such an over the top (in a good way) trade show. I still remember first walking into the main gallery on my first trip about 10 years ago and being in awe. But, on the other hand, I'd much rather go to Geneva than Basel. Not just for a change of scenery and really liking Geneva, but also for ease. Hotels in Basel had gotten absurd around the show. Geneva should be much better positioned to support the event. And being in Geneva also makes it easier to visit the must-see Patek museum.

I do get a nice little chuckle out of the press releases including Tudor as one of the 5 brands that's leaving Baselworld as if they aren't a part of Rolex.
    There were more than a few, including yours truly, who thought that the formation of SIHH might be the beginning of the end, but Baselworld not only persisted but kept increasing exhibitor fees at a frightening rate, even as more brands left for Geneva.

2018 was probably a turning point when many companies couldn't really hide their feelings of frustration any more. I think that's when the proverbial pin dropped as the Swatch Group bid auf wiedersehen, and Baselworld sacked their CEO. When the new CEO walked in Q1 of 2019, the poor chap walked into a shit storm. Rival exhibition organisers have been smelling blood since at least 2018.

But they still had the most prized anchors, Rolex and Patek.

So, yeah, one might characterise this development as the final nail in the coffin because they don't have any heavyweights left (no disrespect to the others who haven't yet jumped ship).

And with Hall 1 lacking substance, Hall 2 becomes less interesting and valuable for the jewellers (and their clients), so they will negotiate hard on next year's fees with a threat to quitting altogether. It should be a right mess.

I prefer Basel over Geneva any day to be honest. Yes, the hotels scene is as bad as the exhibitor fees, just ridiculous beyond words, and the dining options in Basel are ok but not great. However, I love going to Fondation Beyeler with their ever rotating permanent collection. And there's a cool bike shop called Obst und Gemüse.

I think it's just a matter of time before Geneva hotel rates go crazy.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    There were more than a few, including yours truly, who thought that the formation of SIHH might be the beginning of the end, but Baselworld not only persisted but kept increasing exhibitor fees at a frightening rate, even as more brands left for Geneva.

2018 was probably a turning point when many companies couldn't really hide their feelings of frustration any more. I think that's when the proverbial pin dropped as the Swatch Group bid auf wiedersehen, and Baselworld sacked their CEO. When the new CEO walked in Q1 of 2019, the poor chap walked into a shit storm. Rival exhibition organisers have been smelling blood since at least 2018.

But they still had the most prized anchors, Rolex and Patek.

So, yeah, one might characterise this development as the final nail in the coffin because they don't have any heavyweights left (no disrespect to the others who haven't yet jumped ship).

And with Hall 1 lacking substance, Hall 2 becomes less interesting and valuable for the jewellers (and their clients), so they will negotiate hard on next year's fees with a threat to quitting altogether. It should be a right mess.

I prefer Basel over Geneva any day to be honest. Yes, the hotels scene is as bad as the exhibitor fees, just ridiculous beyond words, and the dining options in Basel are ok but not great. However, I love going to Fondation Beyeler with their ever rotating permanent collection. And there's a cool bike shop called Obst und Gemüse.

I think it's just a matter of time before Geneva hotel rates go crazy.
    Totally agree. This move wasn't in the least bit surprising and has been in the works for a while. Good point about Hall 2...while the bulk of our business there was in Hall 1, the fact that we were there made it easy to take care of all the Hall 2 business. There's no way we'd make a trip to Basel for just that, though.

As for Basel vs. Geneva, I really do enjoy both places. Just that as a tagalong on the trips, I usually spend a few hours wandering the halls and then the rest of the day out and about on my own in the town. There's only so much to see in Basel, so after a handful of trips a change of scenery is welcomed. That bike shop is nice, though, no argument there. Many years we would end up staying in Zurich and taking the train to Basel, so if I didn't want to tagalong that day, I'd get to kick it in Zurich, which is a city I really enjoy wandering around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have done some major, major reshuffling since Coronatine started. I’m now in possession of a 216560 Polar, a BlackBay Red (ETA), and no longer have my Pelagos, Oakley Time Machine, nor a limited G-Shock that was in my dresser.

Strange times.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Have done some major, major reshuffling since Coronatine started. I’m now in possession of a 216560 Polar, a BlackBay Red (ETA), and no longer have my Pelagos, Oakley Time Machine, nor a limited G-Shock that was in my dresser.

Strange times.
    Post pics of the 216570 and the BB ETA Red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took the bracelet off of the Explorer immediately. Debating. I feel bracelets are a little too eye catching. I’m trying to get over that by wearing a bracelet on the BBRed. I do now see why the Pelagos and Glidelock clasps are so coveted. The tool-less micro adjust would be very much appreciated.

The Explorer came via trade that got flipped immediately. There’s a scuff on the bezel at the 24. I don’t care. Apparently collectors do. And maybe the Coronatine economy played in my favor. I don’t know. But I’m happy. This is a keeper and I got really lucky.

The BBRed is more of an experiment. Traded my IWC 3777 for it. Seems crazy, I know. Since stuck at home I’ve tried wearing it daily. Couldn’t happen. Too big. Too “there”. I looked into selling it, and without boxes and unknown service history, no original strap, resale wasn’t in my favor. This BBR came with box, papers, full bracelet and an aftermarket leather strap. And it’s easier to wear. I personally feel that it’s also a better representation of the Tudor brand. If I keep it, I’ll be content. The only watch I’d consider swapping it for is an Omega 2901.51.82 ( Authentic Used OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean 6M 291.51.82 Watch (1-1-OME-PXHM9S) ). That’s the PO I had when wifey and I got married. Sold it to cover medical bills that hit her and the youngest child. Don’t regret selling it, but kinda wish I had it back. They’ve been difficult to find in that arrangement, with that band. The one I linked is a bit overpriced, as well...in my opinion.

But yeah, here we are. Now I’m back to searching for one strap to rule them all.

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had my Black Bay Red for years now (long enough that it was just called the Black Bay, as red was the only option). I don't have the bracelet, just the OEM leather and nylon and a couple leather straps with tang buckle from Bulang and Sons. This reddish brown is what I have on the watch most of the time. It's a really great color strap in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, a reddish-brown leather strap would be dandy. I’m doing everything I can to be your doppelgänger.

One thing about the BB that’s been bugging me is the end links. As it turns out, they’re incorrect. They’re from the Heritage Chrono, so shaped slightly differently. Which is interesting as everything else on the bracelet points to BB, as does the receipt. So...not sure what’s up with that.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    The Explorer came via trade that got flipped immediately. There’s a scuff on the bezel at the 24. I don’t care. Apparently collectors do. And maybe the Coronatine economy played in my favor. I don’t know. But I’m happy. This is a keeper and I got really lucky.

The BBRed is more of an experiment. This BBR came with box, papers, full bracelet and an aftermarket leather strap. And it’s easier to wear. I personally feel that it’s also a better representation of the Tudor brand.
    You know I think both the 16570 and 216570 are great watches especially in Polar. Don't worry about the fixed bezel because if you wear it that will be your first of many scratches/dings/dents. True collectors are only interested in the original 1655 as such you must be referencing regular people who want everything to be perfect so ignore them and enjoy the watch. I finally had my 16570 fixed bezel replaced at the 20 year service because all the enamel wore off so I could no longer read the numbers. Since the watch was taken apart for service they only charged me $250 for the part so you have some time to decide if it really bothers you.

You have the more in-demand original BB ETA version which has the better dial text (smiley face) and a thinner case so if I were you, I would hang onto this one as well.

IMHO, the Omega PO are plentiful and not nearly as nice as these two (But I have also never really found an Omega I liked enough to own).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up an Islander, my first dive watch and first mechanical. I like it. The lume is BRIGHT.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great purchase, Dustin. I will be grabbing the Pepsi 38mm on Jubilee soon. Fantastic value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Many years we would end up staying in Zurich and taking the train to Basel...
    I think that is the best option in my experience.

This sounds a bit nutters, but if I were to go to Geneva for a few days to work and didn't have any friends who live there, I think I would prefer to stay on the other side of the lake, in Lausanne, and take the train to / from Geneva. But that's just me.
    Chikashi Miyamoto