User Tag List

Page 119 of 175 FirstFirst ... 109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 3495

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Why are there not more people talking about (or owning) Weiss Watch(es)?

I know he uses ETA base movements but he hand finishes them in his LA workshop, assembles the final movements, builds the cases on his CNC machine, and has the dials finished locally in Los Angeles. If people (me included) are spending $300-$700 on Seikos, Casios, and microbrands, isn't the (mostly) handmade WEISS 38MM STANDARD ISSUE FIELD WATCH a great deal at $1,150?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a nice watch. i'd like to see one in person, the photos you posted make it look kind of cheap and unrefined really, but that just perception, i would need to see it in the metal to really know. also, i really dislike the small seconds. i prefer a traditional center second hand. i actually use the second hand of my watches every day, and the small second situation is much less convenient.

i like the canvas band though, very appropriate for a field watch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    it's a nice watch. i'd like to see one in person, the photos you posted make it look kind of cheap and unrefined really, but that just perception, i would need to see it in the metal to really know. also, i really dislike the small seconds. i prefer a traditional center second hand. i actually use the second hand of my watches every day, and the small second situation is much less convenient.

i like the canvas band though, very appropriate for a field watch
    I was able to check out the Allen Edmonds Weiss Watch this weekend (at the AE Trunk Show). It was well finished and looked really nice but the 42mm with the no-bezel case makes the dial look huge and the watch wears very large for its stated size. The finishing is not worse than similarly priced watches and might actually be better.

This AE version is a special edition of his standard 42mm watch. I listed the 38mm version above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    If people (me included) are spending $300-$700 on Seikos, Casios, and microbrands, isn't the (mostly) handmade WEISS 38MM STANDARD ISSUE FIELD WATCH a great deal at $1,150?
    Not really. I mean is it really more hand made than most other watches? It's nice that the hands are in the States, but the watch itself isn't anything special. The numerals are printed and not applied, they're not lumed, the finishing isn't anything special, and there's no bracelet option.

Speaking of US made watch stuff, I hope to see this grow, and if they ever do a solar powered (ideally perpetual calendar & radio control) option I'd be super interested in getting a watch with one of these movements.

EDIT to add, here's an example of a watch using an AmeriQuartz movement. The watch is assembled in the US, and has the US-made quartz movement, but it doesn't say the case is made in the US. But it's only $200 too. Minuteman Watch A11 Black Dial - USA Assembled | CGA Watches

– The CGA Company

Last edited by dgaddis; 02-26-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Not really. I mean is it really more hand made than most other watches? It's nice that the hands are in the States, but the watch itself isn't anything special. The numerals are printed and not applied, they're not lumed, the finishing isn't anything special, and there's no bracelet option.

Speaking of US made watch stuff, I hope to see this grow, and if they ever do a solar powered (ideally perpetual calendar & radio control) option I'd be super interested in getting a watch with one of these movements.

EDIT to add, here's an example of a watch using an AmeriQuartz movement. The watch is assembled in the US, and has the US-made quartz movement, but it doesn't say the case is made in the US. But it's only $200 too. Minuteman Watch A11 Black Dial - USA Assembled | CGA Watches – The CGA Company
    You are comparing Apples and Oranges. I was referencing "mechanical" watches made by Seiko/Casio/microbrand.

And, not everyone cares about lume and applied markers because not all (sports) watches have them. Are those now the determination of quality watchmaking when so many brands have not used lume and/or applied markers for years (or ever)? I am not sure the rise of YouTubbers all stating the same thing (i.e. you must have lume, you must have applied markers, you must have a bracelet option) is actually helping the matter since they are almost always referencing sports watches and specifically divers.

Mechanical watches will lose every time when compared to battery/solar quartz watches in terms of function(s) but that is not the only reason purchase watches. If you compare Weiss to other mechanical watches at a similar price point, I think he/they make interesting products.

*LIMITED EDITION* WEISS 42MM TITANIUM AMERICAN ISSUE FIELD WATCH ULTRALIGHT WITH ALUMINUM CAL 1003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are comparing Apples and Oranges. I was referencing "mechanical" watches made by Seiko/Casio/microbrand.

And, not everyone cares about lume and applied markers because not all (sports) watches have them. Are those now the determination of quality watchmaking when so many brands have not used lume and/or applied markers for years (or ever)? I am not sure the rise of YouTubbers all stating the same thing (i.e. you must have lume, you must have applied markers, you must have a bracelet option) is actually helping the matter since they are almost always referencing sports watches and specifically divers.

Mechanical watches will lose every time when compared to battery/solar quartz watches in terms of function(s) but that is not the only reason purchase watches. If you compare Weiss to other mechanical watches at a similar price point, I think he/they make interesting products.

*LIMITED EDITION* WEISS 42MM TITANIUM AMERICAN ISSUE FIELD WATCH ULTRALIGHT WITH ALUMINUM CAL 1003
    But bracelets, applied indices, lumed indices - those all add to the cost. And the cost is pretty high on the field watch, without those features, so what exactly are you getting for your money? That's my point. There's plenty of lowered priced mechanical watches out there with those features and good finishing and whatnot. Someone here posted a San Martin recently, and this guy looks pretty great for $162 - Seiko movement, sapphire crystal, lumed hands and numerals, clean no logo sunburst dial.

The ti watch I can more understand and see some value in it as it has a (more?) in house movement and is limited production. I'm not saying an in house movement is necessarily better, but it is more expensive. The ad copy is annoying, but that's marketing for ya.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 02-26-2020 at 09:27 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spend the same amount of money and get a Stowa. Haven't seen a Weiss in person but I'm skeptical the finishing is any better than a Stowa field or marine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Spend the same amount of money and get a Stowa. Haven't seen a Weiss in person but I'm skeptical the finishing is any better than a Stowa field or marine.
    Most 42mm Stowa and Laco use the same ETA 6892/6893 as the standard 42mm Weiss. The watches are almost identical (except for the Weiss hand finishing).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the photos are indicative of the hand finishing, then I'll stick with the Stowa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the photos are indicative of the hand finishing, then I'll stick with the Stowa.
    I like mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spend the same amount of money and get a Stowa.
    Or a Sinn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For @dgaddis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For @dgaddis

Been there, done that, still bought a 'full metal' version.

I started with a 5610, put NATO strap adapters on it (didn't like the 5610 resin band), and swapped out the resin bezel for a metal Aliexpress bezel. Decided I liked it so much, I sold it to another vSaloner and bought a GMW-B5000G-1 :: the 'full' metal on a resin strap, or a 'half metal' as he calls it.

The resin strap is much better and more comfy than the 5610 strap, it's softer. And unlike a nylon NATO it doesn't absorb sweat/water. I actually have some metal adapters for it as well, but have never used them.

Compared to the 5610 the GMW-B5000's have a few newer updated features, in order of importance to me:
    Better display
    Bigger easier to use buttons
    WAY better backlight
    A bit less clutter on the screen
    All black and grey/white color scheme, no red line like the 5610
    Bluetooth connectability
    Metal screwback case

The 5610 is lighter, even w/the aftermarket metal bezel. And it is cheaper. But I do like the GMW-B5000 better and am happy with it. The heart wants what the heart wants and all that jazz.

The modded 5610

The new GMW-B5000 (I also swapped the IP bezel for the DLC bezel)

Last edited by dgaddis; 03-11-2020 at 02:53 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Been there, done that, still bought a 'full metal' version.
    Now that you are into watches I can't even keep up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never paid much attention to Subs, but this weekend I realized the no-date was still around. And realized that the 14060(M) has pretty solid dimensions. I do believe that thing replaced my desire for a (2)16570.

NYC - give me your thoughts.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I've never paid much attention to Subs, but this weekend I realized the no-date was still around. And realized that the 14060(M) has pretty solid dimensions. I do believe that thing replaced my desire for a (2)16570.

NYC - give me your thoughts.
    Personal preference: Submariner (no Date) or Explorer II (GMT/Date).
    Most "in the know" and "collectors" will choose the Sub.
    The Sub will hold value better than both the 16570/Polar (or Black) and the 216570/Polar (or Black).

I'm a contrarian:
    - In 1994 when I had the choice of both new, I chose the 16570 Polar because nobody else had it or was wearing it (and who knew at the time how much each of them would be worth today but the Sub is worth more). Sold it in early 2019 when I had not yet realized I did not like the Sub Date 116610LN (mentioned below).
    - In 2018, I purchased a 116610LN Sub Date, did not like it, and sold it in late 2019.
    - In 2019, I purchased the 216570 Explorer II Polar, and still have it (this one is even more out there with its 42mm size).

There are three rules of watch buying:
    1 - Buy what you love
    2 - Buy what you love
    3 - Buy what you love

And for the bonus round, ignore what others write/say on the internet and buy what you love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the cyclops just simply more likely to receive dings because it sticks out? That is a hang-up for me. I’ve seen a lot of Explorers and Subs that are in very fine shape. Except for the chip/ scratch on the cyclops. That would drive me batty.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the cyclops just simply more likely to receive dings because it sticks out? That is a hang-up for me. I’ve seen a lot of Explorers and Subs that are in very fine shape. Except for the chip/ scratch on the cyclops. That would drive me batty.
    It all depends on the owner.

I never babied my new-from-1994 Explorer II especially early in my career when it was banged against network/server closet racks, against unknown things in ceilings when I was checking wiring projects completed by contractors, and any and all manner of other things. Rolex Service always documented "chips" and suggested to replace it but I never did in my 25 years of ownership and it always passed water/pressure tests. To my eye, I could never find the "chips" but I am sure they were there.

I do worry about the "values" placed on these items today and that the entire vintage market has done a disservice to the watch industry. The watches you speak of are "tool watches" even if they cost exponentially more today than they did 25 (or more) years ago. If you are worried about losing value, don't buy it because you will never wear it. Today, everyone talks about having a "beater watch". My Explorer II was my only watch for 15 out of the 25 years I owned it so it was my beater, sport, and dress watch; It never failed me.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Buy what you love. Wear the heck out of it. Service It. Enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really easy to replace the crystal should the need arise. Wear that watch every day. all day, no matter what. Enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A modern Rolex is so well built that you can absolutely wear it all day, every day.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids