User Tag List

Page 117 of 176 FirstFirst ... 107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 3505

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    while i generally agree with the sentiment, i think for tool watches, divers specifically, should keep it dead simple. function above all else. then again, my favorite watch is the no-date sub; i still think it's an engineering marvel, everything i need, nothing i dont.
    No argument here. I love no-date watches (Rolex Explorer I and Tudor Black Bay are standouts). And I'd get the no-date Sub in a heartbeat if I could (I'm not allowed to, though)! One of my personal favorites is the Sea-Dweller Deepsea because that that thing is an engineering marvel that is so, so, so much more than I need. And that's despite having a date.

I was more speaking about things like what Patek might consider complications or grand complications. Or in the Rolex world, things like the Cellini Moonphase (it's gorgeous).
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    this new Sinn reminds me that i want a white dial'ed 'pilots' watch.
    This is still one of my favorite Sinn 104 pilot style watches

And I keep coming back to this diver style Oris Aquis (the one with the matte black dial and bezel insert).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still really want this GMT Master II and am hopeful my AD might get me one this year.

If not, this is a nice alternative but a great deal of money to spend on an "alternative".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    No argument here. I love no-date watches (Rolex Explorer I and Tudor Black Bay are standouts). And I'd get the no-date Sub in a heartbeat if I could (I'm not allowed to, though)! One of my personal favorites is the Sea-Dweller Deepsea because that that thing is an engineering marvel that is so, so, so much more than I need. And that's despite having a date.

I was more speaking about things like what Patek might consider complications or grand complications. Or in the Rolex world, things like the Cellini Moonphase (it's gorgeous).
    you "need" the date on the deepsea for multi-day decompression after saturation dives...just sayin'

i find the date pretty handy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    you "need" the date on the deepsea for multi-day decompression after saturation dives...just sayin'

Funny thing about my love of the Deepsea and dive watches in general...I can't even snorkel due to some weird underwater claustrophobia thing I have going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No question the date window has it's benefits, but the clean look and lack of a cyclops for the no-date Subs (mine is a late 1900's 14060M) is the picture of a bar bones "tool watch".... which is my preference in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    No question the date window has it's benefits, but the clean look and lack of a cyclops for the no-date Subs (mine is a late 1900's 14060M) is the picture of a bar bones "tool watch".... which is my preference in the end.
    well no cyclops on the deepsea...it compromises the strength of the crystal so the date is pretty subtle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing about my love of the Deepsea and dive watches in general...I can't even snorkel due to some weird underwater claustrophobia thing I have going on.
    i've been scuba diving once in my life...honeymoon in maui

i had a full blown panic attack in front of my new wife and another couple about 20 ft down...the dive guide ripped the cord on my vest thingy and i shot straight up to the surface...embarassing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've been scuba diving once in my life...honeymoon in maui

i had a full blown panic attack in front of my new wife and another couple about 20 ft down...the dive guide ripped the cord on my vest thingy and i shot straight up to the surface...embarassing
    You made it way deeper than I would have!!! I still love my Deepsea, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not watch Last Breath. Amazing documentary, but would not help that situation at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    If not, this is a nice alternative but a great deal of money to spend on an "alternative".
    This is one of the ones my son covets...
    Or a similar blue-faced/silver bodied variation...
    044d9240f48875af88c4ce0565ce7947.jpg

He has a Hamilton that we bought from one of the folks on here for his 16th or so birthday.
    Hamilton-Khaki-Field-Officer-Automatic-H706150-Runs.jpg
    Then we bought him a Stowa Antea during his first year of College
    Antea_KS41_Silber_Front_2600.jpg
    He then commandeered my Garmin Fenix 5 to scratch the smart-watch itch and now he's asking if we will buy him this Rolex (or one similar) for College graduation.
    He interned in consulting last summer and is working in venture capital, consulting, investment banking sort of realms.
    Not sure if it's a good move or not from a perception point of view....to say nothing of whether my wife and I can afford it. In many ways, we feel like getting him to the finish line with $0 debt is gift enough. And yet, as our one and only, I keep coming back here and other places to read about Rolex watches from those more in the know.

Curious what this crowd would suggest...
    Better for HIM to work towards it? Would a different piece make more sense? He clearly has the capacity to know what time it is ~ via phone or a couple of good options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VTMike View Post
    Not sure if it's a good move or not from a perception point of view....to say nothing of whether my wife and I can afford it. In many ways, we feel like getting him to the finish line with $0 debt is gift enough. And yet, as our one and only, I keep coming back here and other places to read about Rolex watches from those more in the know.

Curious what this crowd would suggest...Better for HIM to work towards it?
    Would a different piece make more sense? He clearly has the capacity to know what time it is ~ via phone or a couple of good options.
    Since you asked...

I would let him get when he is financially able to purchase it for himself because it will mean more to him. Passing down an heirloom is one thing but you have already given him the best graduation gift, no debt. In my case, I purchased my first Rolex at 24 just after my first big promotion so I was able to afford it (pictured below at the 20 year service mark).

And, if he has larger than average wrists, I would suggest a 41mm DateJust or the 39mm version of the Oyster Perpetual you showed above. If average or smaller than average wrists, I think the 36mm Oyster Perpetual shown below is an amazing choice. Just know it is one of the more difficult to find dial variations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I would let him get when he is financially able to purchase it for himself because it will mean more to him.
    This is my instinct, too.

Per his size, not BIG wrists, per se, but he's 6'3" and right around 205 lbs with a swimmer's build.
    We saw some 36s recently and though we didn't try them on, they DO seem small.
    39 or 41 is what I was imagining for him.

I think those blue faces are just super-sharp. I also like the Milgauss face, too
    M116400GV-0002-FRONT.jpg
    ~ though I don't think a Rolex is in my future. I'm in the wrong industry (secondary education).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my instinct, too.

Per his size, not BIG wrists, per se, but he's 6'3" and right around 205 lbs with a swimmer's build.
    We saw some 36s recently and though we didn't try them on, they DO seem small.
    39 or 41 is what I was imagining for him.

I think those blue faces are just super-sharp. I also like the Milgauss face, too

~ though I don't think a Rolex is in my future. I'm in the wrong industry (secondary education).

Previous trends were much larger watches but they are coming back to a "normal" range which I think is 38 to 42mm for most men. DateJust blue dials are very popular and difficult to get. I am also a big fan of white dials and this one without the jubilee bracelet and fluted white gold bezel is another good option for a watch that can be both dress and sport. It is also about $2,000 less than the jubilee white gold fluted bezel version.

DateJust 41mm, oyster bracelet, domed steel bezel

DateJust 41mm, jubilee bracelet, fluted white gold bezel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike, the milestone of getting your young man through college debt free is more of an accomplishment of yours than his realistically. Successful graduation marks the line where the scales tip from you taking care of him to him taking care of himself. I don't see an ultra-luxury item like a Rolex as an appropriate gift for college graduation.

I don't mean any offense in the least by this, just as a little food for thought: it sounds as if you're a hard working guy, a great dad, and a financial genius to get your son through college with no lingering debt. To me, it sounds like him asking for a Rolex as a graduation present suggests he may not fully understand the value of a buck, and how many hours it takes a middle class dude working to pay for a luxury item. He's just getting his start in the real world so that's probably natural, but i'm positive i would have never had the guts to ask my dad to buy me a wrist watch that cost more than any car he had ever bought himself.

maybe the security deposit for his first apartment or tickets to a broadway show or similar might be more in line with the congratulatory nature of college graduation...

IMO of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My parents have never given me a graduation gift. Never expected one either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We spoil him, for sure...
    And we enjoy doing it, to be honest.

He's a good kid. He contributes the portion that we agreed on and the position has been that if he's unable to come up with that amount, then he'd need to take a loan to make that work. It's an ambitious number, but he's managed it.
    He's mentioned that he thinks he should contribute more or pay us back in some way, but we just tell him to do his part and make good on the opportunities that he has. He's deeply appreciative and kicking butt in securing great opportunities. I also suspect that he'll out earn me within 2-3 years. Education isn't exactly the sector where you make big bucks...and the sector that he's interesting is pretty well compensated.
    As per his perspective, it's tough to keep him in a middle-class mindset. He's got friends that run the spectrum of socioeconomics ~ as you would probably suspect ~ and consulted in the pharmaceutical industry this past year.

I'm sure we'll do something for him, but I suspect it won't be the Rolex (or anything in that strata).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd buy him a plane ticket to a far flung destination over a watch. Let him buy the Rolex himself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a Hamilton that we bought from one of the folks on here for his 16th or so birthday.
    Hamilton-Khaki-Field-Officer-Automatic-H706150-Runs.jpg
    i still think about that watch pretty often.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...tml#post143472
    Last edited by dashDustin; 02-17-2020 at 10:41 AM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We spoil him, for sure...
    And we enjoy doing it, to be honest.

He's a good kid. He contributes the portion that we agreed on and the position has been that if he's unable to come up with that amount, then he'd need to take a loan to make that work. It's an ambitious number, but he's managed it.
    He's mentioned that he thinks he should contribute more or pay us back in some way, but we just tell him to do his part and make good on the opportunities that he has. He's deeply appreciative and kicking butt in securing great opportunities. I also suspect that he'll out earn me within 2-3 years. Education isn't exactly the sector where you make big bucks...and the sector that he's interesting is pretty well compensated.
    As per his perspective, it's tough to keep him in a middle-class mindset. He's got friends that run the spectrum of socioeconomics ~ as you would probably suspect ~ and consulted in the pharmaceutical industry this past year.

I'm sure we'll do something for him, but I suspect it won't be the Rolex (or anything in that strata).
    I'll take the other side. Nothing wrong with "spoiling" a good kid. I disagree with the sentiments about buying oneself or getting as a gift from parents. I bot my first Rolex when I was 22. I flipped it into a different one a couple of years later and sold that one too. I can guarantee that if my old man had the means to buy me one it would still be on my wrist today.

I plan to let both my boys pick a watch from my collection when they graduate from college. And I hope they will pass them forward to their kids. I know heirlooms are a different conversation but heirlooms have to start somewhere. Why not start with a gift to your well deserving son??