Likes Likes:  0

Thread: oversize 'road' steel steerers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default oversize 'road' steel steerers

I've just been told by Peter at Ceeway he has 'road' steel steerers in Reynolds 853 and 631, 28.6 1.5/1.1 350 80.50.220

An alternative to Hank's TrueTemper MSRDLT and OXPLATMSRDLT.......I'm all for supporting a 2nd source of supply and variety etc....

I'm currently using a MSRDLT on my personal ride, a suspension corrected 29er fork, a good test at 465mm long......ridden hard, not jumped, the rigidity is fine, no problems.

anyone else with experience testing the limits of these light steerers?

Ewen Gellie
    Ewen Gellie
    Melbourne Australia
    full-time framebuilder, Mechanical Engineer, (Bach. of Eng., University of Melbourne)
    [url]www.gelliecustombikeframes.com.au[/url]
    [URL="http://instagram.com/gellie_custom_bikes"]http://instagram.com/gellie_custom_bikes[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e.Gellie View Post
    I've just been told by Peter at Ceeway he has 'road' steel steerers in Reynolds 853 and 631, 28.6 1.5/1.1 350 80.50.220

An alternative to Hank's TrueTemper MSRDLT and OXPLATMSRDLT.......I'm all for supporting a 2nd source of supply and variety etc....

I'm currently using a MSRDLT on my personal ride, a suspension corrected 29er fork, a good test at 465mm long......ridden hard, not jumped, the rigidity is fine, no problems.

anyone else with experience testing the limits of these light steerers?

Ewen Gellie
    Cool, one never knows when the TT supply may dry up considering the hiccup there
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have experience with the TT steerers. They're too light for MTB use, in my opinion. One bent (150 pound rider), another bulged (190 pound rider). 420 fork length, unicrown build. daVinci still has the most bullet proof 1.125" steerers that don't weigh a ton in my opinion, but pricey since they're custom, even a little over kill for MTBs since they're designed for tandems.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    I have experience with the TT steerers. They're too light for MTB use, in my opinion. One bent (150 pound rider), another bulged (190 pound rider). 420 fork length, unicrown build. .........
    thanks Archibald, I'll keep an eye on my 29er fork, and report any news,
    Cheers,
    Ewen
    Ewen Gellie
    Melbourne Australia
    full-time framebuilder, Mechanical Engineer, (Bach. of Eng., University of Melbourne)
    [url]www.gelliecustombikeframes.com.au[/url]
    [URL="http://instagram.com/gellie_custom_bikes"]http://instagram.com/gellie_custom_bikes[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    I have experience with the TT steerers. They're too light for MTB use, in my opinion. One bent (150 pound rider), another bulged (190 pound rider). 420 fork length, unicrown build. daVinci still has the most bullet proof 1.125" steerers that don't weigh a ton in my opinion, but pricey since they're custom, even a little over kill for MTBs since they're designed for tandems.
    Yikes! Bulged! was that from the stem expander or vertical ground strikes?
    dp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Porter View Post
    Yikes! Bulged! was that from the stem expander or vertical ground strikes?
    dp
    Overstressing the steerer. Bulged right above the crown race. Probably better to call it bent from ~spirited~ riding.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. bent is quite a bit different from bulged..though I suppose a bend might cause a bulge. Thanks! dp