User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

Hoping I am not derailing this forum (this forum has been incredibly helpful to me so far, so thank you all especially zank). I have started prepping to glue a new set of tubulars and have run into one issue that I am hoping someone can provide some insight to. I have removed some old tubulars off a pair of Williams Cyclocross tubular wheels (the older rim brake white wheels). The inside of the rims are painted white and when I removed the old tubular tires they peeled off some of the white interior rim paint. My OCD is telling me to take all the rim paint off to the bare aluminum underneath as there are now areas with no rim paint and some areas with rim paint. I am trying to get an even glueing surface to glue to. Do you guys see any problem with removing all the rim paint and glueing to the bare aluminum rim?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

Huh, I'm surprised they had paint on the tire bed. Yeah, my inclination would be to remove the paint.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

remove the paint are these aluminum beds ? you could use a wire wheel to get it off,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Never glue tires when you are drunk or mad at the world.
    Uh oh... if that's true then it looks like I won't be racing on tubulars for a few months! Haha.

All joking aside... Looks like I will be huffing some mastik this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes they are aluminum beds. I was just going to soak the bed in Acetone for a couple minutes and scrape off paint (soak level would be below rim decals and paint so no damage would be done the that). Will wire wheel scrape up bed too much? Cyclocross Wheel Review: Williams Cyclocross Tubular Wheelset Review - Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos - This is the wheel in question. You can see the white paint on the rim in the second picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ran into this post recently and I'm curious what others think of the approach: How To Glue Cyclocross Tubulars

basically, his idea is to glue the way Zank describes, but also treat it like you would if gluing with Tufo tape. i.e. don't mate the tire's glue to the CX tape until you've got the tire mounted perfectly. then lift a bit of tire, remove a bit of tape, drop that bit of tire, repeat. otherwise, the bond is basically the same, except he's using Jantex tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id look at CX tape Or cyclocross worlds Belgian tape. http://belgianwerkx.com/2013/08/glui...e-belgian-way/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
    ran into this post recently and I'm curious what others think of the approach: How To Glue Cyclocross Tubulars

basically, his idea is to glue the way Zank describes, but also treat it like you would if gluing with Tufo tape. i.e. don't mate the tire's glue to the CX tape until you've got the tire mounted perfectly. then lift a bit of tire, remove a bit of tape, drop that bit of tire, repeat. otherwise, the bond is basically the same, except he's using Jantex tape.
    From my experience with Jantex tape, I think this approach would make it excessively difficult to remove a tire without damaging the base tape. I like - rim, glue on rim, Jantex, glue on Jantex, two layers of glue on the tubular, then mount tubular. The tape seems to hold the glue better than the rim, but having a layer of glue on the tape and on the tire "protects" the tire from adhering too permanently to the tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    From my experience with Jantex tape, I think this approach would make it excessively difficult to remove a tire without damaging the base tape. I like - rim, glue on rim, Jantex, glue on Jantex, two layers of glue on the tubular, then mount tubular. The tape seems to hold the glue better than the rim, but having a layer of glue on the tape and on the tire "protects" the tire from adhering too permanently to the tape.
    he has three layers of glue on the tire before mounting it. do you think applying an actual layer of glue to the tape itself is that different than mating a semi-dry layer from the tire to it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he has three layers of glue on the tire before mounting it. do you think applying an actual layer of glue to the tape itself is that different than mating a semi-dry layer from the tire to it?
    Maybe not. I've never tried it with "dry" tape. This is similar to the approach for the Effetto Mariposa tape I think: Bikeman Effetto Mariposa Carogna Road Tubular Gluing Tape 16.5mm x 2m

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Maybe not. I've never tried it with "dry" tape. This is similar to the approach for the Effetto Mariposa tape I think: Bikeman Effetto Mariposa Carogna Road Tubular Gluing Tape 16.5mm x 2m
    OK, cool. I'm just curious what people's opinions of the method/bond are and if anyone may have tried it. so far I'm using the method described in this thread's original post with good results. only wrinkle is mounting is tricky but the linked method makes it easier to keep glue off your sidewalls! :)

and yes, it's just like the Effetto Mariposa mounting method, but with a much better bond. I've used that and it's super easy to do. I know some people have had good luck with it but I wasn't super impressed with the bond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also like to add... Do not glue tubulars before 6am and if you are do not start before the coffee is done brewing. Actually, that is just a life lesson. Do not start anything before the coffee is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raced on my recently glued tires this last weekened. Worked out perfect! Thanks Zank! Anyone have any tips on how to remove belgian tape off the base tape from a removed tire? I have a practically new tire I want to glue on another wheelset but it has belgium tape stuck to the base tape...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, cool. I'm just curious what people's opinions of the method/bond are and if anyone may have tried it. so far I'm using the method described in this thread's original post with good results. only wrinkle is mounting is tricky but the linked method makes it easier to keep glue off your sidewalls! :)

and yes, it's just like the Effetto Mariposa mounting method, but with a much better bond. I've used that and it's super easy to do. I know some people have had good luck with it but I wasn't super impressed with the bond.
    I used the wider one. i made sure the tape was even with one edge then trimmed the other side down has been holding well... see here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by posulli View Post
    Raced on my recently glued tires this last weekened. Worked out perfect! Thanks Zank! Anyone have any tips on how to remove belgian tape off the base tape from a removed tire? I have a practically new tire I want to glue on another wheelset but it has belgium tape stuck to the base tape...
    I just threw another layer of glue on top (the tape was clean and still tacky). One race on it and holding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, new issue. I've glued quite a few tires now, always pretty happy with the glue job other than the mess ive made and how straight is. This last one, I thought I figured it out. Everything went great. I just checked it though, and it looks like the glue isnt even remotely holding, it looks this way all the way around. Any ideas? the glue seemed like maybe it was a bit thick/old, but it not enough to really make me think about it too long. It was used in 4 races. in one weekend. I glued it on thursday, for a saturday race. The rim was perfectly cleaned down to metal, then with acetone.

Now its full of dirt, what should I do? its a brand new tire, I cant stand the idea of losing it. Pull it off, scrape off whatever I can and reglue? maybe no belgian tape this time? The other option I see is just shoving some glue in all the edges.

--------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vote for scrape and reglue. No way I'd glue over that mess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    My vote for scrape and reglue. No way I'd glue over that mess.
    Is there any decent way to get glue off the tire? because theres for sure dirt in there.

I'm really curios what I did wrong. Not enough glue used? somehow moisture got in there?
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what was the glue/ tape combo? or method used... maybe we can back into why it didnt hold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I followed the method here to a T, mastic 1. tape from CX world, layers were the same. Only thing I didnt do was use a syringe, as I didnt have any, so it could have gone on light, but it didnt look it. I wondering if the glue was a little old, we'll see, I'm racing another wheel with the exact same process used tonight.

Likw I said, this is probably the 10th tire Ive glued, all others have been perfect/impossible to get off when flatted. This will take me 2 min to remove, without any tools.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast