User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

What i am saying is to lay down several layers of glue letting them dry between layers in order to create a more perfect union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

Ah, so if the tire's radius is a bit small, adding extra glue layers will reduce the overall rim+glue radius, better matching that of the tire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Ah, so if the tire's radius is a bit small, adding extra glue layers will reduce the overall rim+glue radius, better matching that of the tire?
    Yup'r. If, for instance, suppose you were caught up in the wave of people building wide tubular rims and have an armload of 22mm tubulars....ouch. In that case it is a hack, you have to build up the outside margins of the rim so that the tire has a glue bed to hang onto. Not a pretty solution but hey there is that pile of tires to burn thru and the allure of switching to fat(er) tubulars for-effing-ever :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What says the Salon when you've got a tubular that has been glued with a different type of glue than you intend to re-glue the wheel with. In my case, I've got two CX tires with continental glue on the base tape. But, I've got a large bucket of mastik one on hand. Am I okay to apply a thin layer of mastik to the previously continentaled base tape?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a question about hop.

I recently got a pair of used cx wheels. The front has a pronounced hop towards the valve section of the rim. It's not a tiny hop at the valve. It goes on for about 1/4-1/3 of the circumference of the rim. It's big enough that the bike surges while riding at road speeds.

I searched around and saw this explanation:

tubular tire mounting, wrong? - Page 2

this is because when people go to finally mount their tire they don't "stretch" the first section they put on....where the valve is. By the time they get to the other side they have to pull hard and stretch it - causing the low side. So...mounting technique causes it. Period.
    It seems reasonable to me. What do the experts think?

Thanks!
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember to read the bible passage. It's cx season

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Borisch View Post
    Here is a question about hop.

I recently got a pair of used cx wheels. The front has a pronounced hop towards the valve section of the rim. It's not a tiny hop at the valve. It goes on for about 1/4-1/3 of the circumference of the rim. It's big enough that the bike surges while riding at road speeds.

I searched around and saw this explanation:

tubular tire mounting, wrong? - Page 2

It seems reasonable to me. What do the experts think?

Thanks!
    So these wheels are now my "learn how to glue your own tires" wheels. I removed the tires and once the glue bond was broken, the tire with the hop was quite loose in the hop area. So the above explanation seems to have been the cause.

I got the tire remounted and no more hop. There is a little tread wobble but not too bad for my first try.

My final wet glue layer was quite thin (per Zank method, but without cx tape) and once the tire was on it was pretty well stuck. Could I have made the final coat a little heavier to give me some more dwell time for making adjustments?
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. My guess is you will be faster next time. Use a compressor or pump them ASAP immediately will usually do the job to center them.
    So these wheels are now my "learn how to glue your own tires" wheels. I removed the tires and once the glue bond was broken, the tire with the hop was quite loose in the hop area. So the above explanation seems to have been the cause.

I got the tire remounted and no more hop. There is a little tread wobble but not too bad for my first try.

My final wet glue layer was quite thin (per Zank method, but without cx tape) and once the tire was on it was pretty well stuck. Could I have made the final coat a little heavier to give me some more dwell time for making adjustments?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, more stupid questions.

So I was finally getting around to glueing last night. I made a mess of the first wheel. Belgian tape all over the side walls. Second one I was more carefull, still a bit messy. And then I realized it was the wrong direction, After that it was a blood bath, including loosing about 3/4 of latex glove inside and on the sidewall of the tire. I guess I didnt realize they would melt like that.

So what do you guys do to keep the sidewalls clean? theres the white stuff from the belgian tape is always bubbling out and all over the sidewalls from getting that last but if tire on. I mean, last year it was the same story, and it stayed glued really well, had to cut one off this year.

These are brand new PDX's, anything I can do to clean them? tried duct tape, not cutting it.

Thanks
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've not found anything that works on getting the sidewalls clean of the tape residue. With practice it does get better looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the tires are very hard to install on a clean rim with no glue on tire or rim you know what you are up against. In other words, if it comes to crunch time and it's an impossible task it's not going to go well even for someone who knows what they are doing so avoid this by making sure the tire is supple enough to stretch onto the glued wheel with alot of hand grip and downward force.

FWIIW If I did everything right the last part usually falls onto the rim or I flip it up and pull straight up on the last section and let it snap down into place.

It's all about planning and details yo. You'll get ALOT better at this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    If the tires are very hard to install on a clean rim with no glue on tire or rim you know what you are up against. In other words, if it comes to crunch time and it's an impossible task it's not going to go well even for someone who knows what they are doing so avoid this by making sure the tire is supple enough to stretch onto the glued wheel with alot of hand grip and downward force.

FWIIW If I did everything right the last part usually falls onto the rim or I flip it up and pull straight up on the last section and let it snap down into place.

It's all about planning and details yo. You'll get ALOT better at this.
    Thanks, I had a lot of trouble getting these tires onto the rim to stretch earlier in the day, so they were pretty tight. I am doing a second set tonight with FMB's tonight that seem crazy loose in comparison.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Thanks, I had a lot of trouble getting these tires onto the rim to stretch earlier in the day, so they were pretty tight. I am doing a second set tonight with FMB's tonight that seem crazy loose in comparison.
    You'll do great. I had to replace a rear tire this year and didn't have a clean rim to stretch on between basetape coats and I managed to get it on without too much trouble. Take that extra step and you'll have no real issues with the FMB. My problem for the weekend is that it's raining right now and I only have file treads with me after a move that split our 'stuff'. FIgured leaving the terra's at home would be nbd since we've had super dry september's the last few years in the mid-atlantic. Tomorrow may be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I learned to do the mounting in bare feet. You can hold the wheel down better with your toes a lot better than when you have shoes on.

It makes it easier to oppose the force of pulling that last bit over the top.

My first try I was wearing big dumb clogs and my expensive glasses which fall off when my head is upside down. I did better my second try.
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I learned to do the mounting in bare feet. You can hold the wheel down better with your toes a lot better than when you have shoes on.

It makes it easier to oppose the force of pulling that last bit over the top.

My first try I was wearing big dumb clogs and my expensive glasses which fall off when my head is upside down. I did better my second try.
    Good point! I was in a hot garage and mine were filling with sweat drops then fell off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished my fourth wheel in two days. I used tape on this one and only picked up a bit on the sidewall. Feeling like a pro!

These are well used tires so I'm sure they were already good and stretched. I must say they were not glued that well based on my learning here. Large areas of the basetape didn't appear to have glue on them at all. Though one of the pairs survived a season ridden by a large and aggressive rider.
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished my fourth wheel in two days. I used tape on this one and only picked up a bit on the sidewall. Feeling like a pro!

These are well used tires so I'm sure they were already good and stretched. I must say they were not glued that well based on my learning here. Large areas of the basetape didn't appear to have glue on them at all. Though one of the pairs survived a season ridden by a large and aggressive rider.
    Chances are that the glue came off the rim unevenly. I doubt the tire had large areas without glue. Sometimes it just all sticks to the rim instead of the tire when you remove the tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I glued a set of Challenge chicanes and a set of FMB supermuds this past week. Same procedure and the FMBs were a joy to mount compared to the challenge tubs. So nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, looking for more advice.

One part of my tire is coming un glued. Maybe 6 inches long, but only the left side. Its full of dirt. This had happened to one section ealier too, I hadnt done belgian tape on this set, mostly because there was still good tape and glue on the rims from the last tires. Now I'll always do it I guess, but does that mean I should remove the old tape and glue? I had cleaned them bare when I started on them, so they've only had mastic one on them, although I can tell they are heavy from all the glue I've applied. Can I just just a wire brush on a drill and just remove some/even them out? then start the method in this thread from scratch. I have a new tire on the way.

Frustrating sunday on wheels, found this on the wheels with the wheelset with MXP's, so I didnt use them. Raced the newer wheels with PDX's, and destroyed a major tom rim on a root.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I just just a wire brush on a drill and just remove some/even them out? then start the method in this thread from scratch. I have a new tire on the way.
    these are aluminum right?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast