User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

I have been using this method for two years now but have one issue. With regard to the last step of applying a light coat of glue on the tape and then mounting the tire. Should I wait at all before mounting the tire? My problem is the glue is so sticky I seem to make a mess.

I read at Velonews this same method but they mentioned waiting 15 minutes after applying the glue to the tape before mounting the tire.

Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

I personally don't wait. If I do a second stretch of the tire after the glue has dried on the base tape and if I really start pulling and stretching from the top when the tire is first put on the rim, it goes on pretty easy. But as you've seen, others do it differently. Keep practicing. It'll be second nature soon enough!
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I will keep trying to get it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the thought on re-gluing a tire that has the belgian tape stuck on the basetape? Is it safe to do? Would two sets of tape be bad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple question: when regluing tires put on with tape/mastik, am I starting with a completely clean rim? Is an old base of glue good if it is not contaminated? Honestly these things don't seem like they need to be reglued, but I know people will yell at me if I don't do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go over old glue if it's not too gnarly looking.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist210 View Post
    What's the thought on re-gluing a tire that has the belgian tape stuck on the basetape? Is it safe to do? Would two sets of tape be bad?
    My tires have a ton of tape stuck to them. I figure that it shouldn't be problematic but would also love to hear the opinions of people who are more experienced. I've started a thread about removal/re-gluing here: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...val-23673.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you zank!
    i made an evening of it and am no longer a tubular virgin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So tape is applied while 2nd layer of glue is wet, then 3rd layer is applied immediately? So, when mounting tire, there's a sticky-ish layer under the tape, then a wet layer above?

Why not wait for 2nd layer to dry for a couple hours before applying final layer on top of tape?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's time again, and i'm gluing some carbon wheels for a friend. is there a consensus on whether or not to use belgian (jantex) tape on zipp rims? will it damage the carbon when removed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    it's time again, and i'm gluing some carbon wheels for a friend. is there a consensus on whether or not to use belgian (jantex) tape on zipp rims? will it damage the carbon when removed?
    It didn't on my Reynolds rims that I can see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So to paraphrase from what i have read

Day 1 Stretch tubular on wheel wait 24 hours
    Day 2 Scuff wheel, Clean wheel with acetone, tape side wall.
    Day 2 Apply glue coat to wheel apply glue coat to tire wait 24 hours.
    Day 3 Stretch dried tire on spare rim
    Day 3 Add 2nd layer to rim, Add Cross tape, Smoosh tape and remove backing, add 3rd layer to tape
    day 3 add second layer to tire
    Day 3 on ground take rim, and align tire in hole , stretch on rim, work fast, straighten tire.
    day 3 use broom handle to seat wheel. pump up to 60 psi
    day 3 Wait 24 hours at least
    day 4-5 ride .

sound about right? o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I edited this a bit from my findings.

Day 0 Stretch tubular on wheel wait 24 hours At least. the longer the better Make sure you add valve extender etc Before you start gluing. if using valve extender, i put a small wrap of teflon tape on the threads between the tire valve, valve extender and valve core make sure these are tight and can pass air. I also add a small wrap of electrical tape on the valve where it comes through the rim to stop rattling and keeping water/mud/dirt out.
    Day 1 If new wheel Scuff/sand wheel, Clean wheel with acetone, tape side walls. Use electric tape or if in a pinch Blue Painters tape. I have used both. When using electrical tape you can bend it around the brake track If you use Blue painter tape i use a 2 inch wide roll and place overlapping pieces around the brake track, and then use a razor blade and trim along edge of rim. If already glued, take big lumps out , tape Side walls
    Day 1 Apply glue coat to wheel apply glue coat to tire make sure glue is even edge to edge wait 24 hours.
    Day 2 Stretch dried tire on spare rim the longer the better i gave it about an hour
    Day 2 add second layer to tire
    Day 2 Add 2nd layer to rim, Add Cross tape, Smoosh tape and remove backing, add 3rd layer to CX tape work Fast be liberal with the glue on 3rd layer. this will help with seating tire
    Day 2 on ground take rim, and align tire in hole , stretch on rim, work fast, straighten tire. push pull get it on straight spin wheel or use truing stand. work fast
    day 2 use broom handle to seat wheel. pump up to 60 psi
    day 2 Remove tape on brake track.
    day 2 use strips of duct/gorilla tape to remove any excess glue on tire sidewall. I had some of the CX tape residue get on the tire side wall. I used 2-3 inch strips of gorilla tape and ripped those into 1cm wide strips and sort of gave it a brazillian wax to get any tape residue off the side wall. press tape on effected area wait a second or two rip residual glue off repeat till tape was fouled. get another strip repeat. I did this on the rim where the glue would spider web
    day 3 Wait 24 hours at least
    day 4-5 ride .

some notes.

I used Conti Glue I have the mini tubes and the big container. this time i used the small tubes and a 10ml syringe. basically sticking the plastic nose into the tube opening and drawing it out with the plunger. I also drop the sealed glue into some hot water ( hot to touch, not boiling) . i have done this with the small and big bottle. I find that working with warm/hot glue you dont get as much spider webbing. when it cools you get more spidering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A thousand blessings upon you, Mike, for making such an exhaustive guide for us newbs. Last night I mounted up my dry conditions cross tubulars using the above guide. Even with the guide, I experienced my fair share of adversity. The front tire, which I did first, went on a bit crooked with a drunken lean to the right. It's a 34mm tire, so I assume its ok to be a little off center (right?). My excuse: the power went OUT as soon as I got the last little bit of the tire over the rim lip. I did my best in the dark basement, black as the uniballer's soul, to get the thing on and centered without the aid of my eyes. Finding the pump head, inflating to check alignment, deflating to adjust in darkness was not fun. Once the power came back on I got the rear mounted with limited fuss, just a bunch of mastik on the sidewalls (and in my mouth...don't ask). Another thing, the Belgian tape turns into fluffernutter on steroids once contact is made with glue. Holy hell you have to work fast before that stuff solidifies. Here's hoping this experience makes the next set of tires a bit less stressful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worth repeating Mike Z does infact rule all.
    Hey, regarding the "lean". I"ve had that happen too and it is due to over inflating the tire while off the rim. Notice how the tire turns almost inside out? To correct that just deflate to only a few psi and "snap" the tire a few time with your hands to re-center the innertube. Hate it when that happens but it beats getting stuck in the eye with a pickle fork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used this guide last year with excellent results, so thanks mike! Question: looking at gluing a fresh set of tires to a previously glued wheelset. Last year's Belgian tape looks to be in decent shape and I'm not sure whether I can apply a fresh coat on top and a few on the tires or to remove the tape and start over again. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    Used this guide last year with excellent results, so thanks mike! Question: looking at gluing a fresh set of tires to a previously glued wheelset. Last year's Belgian tape looks to be in decent shape and I'm not sure whether I can apply a fresh coat on top and a few on the tires or to remove the tape and start over again. Thoughts?
    If the surface is not contaminated and still nice and tacky I'd apply a layer of glue to the wheel, prep. your tire in the usual manner than one quick coat on the wheel and done.

The only reason to remove the tape/glue is if it is no longer a super solid gluing surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Hey, regarding the "lean". I"ve had that happen too and it is due to over inflating the tire while off the rim. Notice how the tire turns almost inside out? To correct that just deflate to only a few psi and "snap" the tire a few time with your hands to re-center the innertube. Hate it when that happens but it beats getting stuck in the eye with a pickle fork.
    Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I recently had this experience with a Vittoria XM and it took a lot more than "a few times" of snapping to get it straight. I finally threw it lightly inflated in the back of my car in the sun on a hot day and warmed it up for an hour then snapped and re-stretched- problem solved. 'Course this method requires a bit of summer, so you're hosed once the season starts...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast