Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pegoretti Cicli

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pegoretti Cicli

When did you start using really large tubes?
    Did your work with professional cyclists bring this about?
    Do you prefer steel or aluminum for high-performance bicycles?

I'm watching this with great fascination. Here is a pic of myself the the "Simple Blacksmith" at NAHBS this year. What fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whata saturday ride --- next to you in steel with a steel cx richie ... now that was a "soul" ride..

thank you,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dario

Mingus or Monk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dario, what's your take on a properly fitted bike? Steve Hampsten, for example, fits a bike around the stem. From the Hampsten website:

A properly fitted bicycle is centered on the stem, which we think of in terms of sizes: small (100-105mm, for frames in the 50-54cm range), medium (110-120mm, for 54.5-57cm range), and large (120-130mm, for 57.5cm and up range). A bicycle built around the proper stem length – giving correct reach – will have optimal weight distribution and handling characteristics. We believe that the cure for a poorly fitting bicycle is not a longer/shorter stem but rather a well-built frame using the correct length stem.

I ask because while I love my 54 Responsorium (with a 110mm stem), I'm pretty sure I could also fit a 52 or 53 mated to a longer stem. I would still have the same saddle setback, saddle-to-bar reach and drop. Weight distribution and handling would probably differ slightly though. So, yeah, with clients who can fit more than one frame size comfortably, how do you decide which size is optimal?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
    Dario, what's your take on a properly fitted bike? Steve Hampsten, for example, fits a bike around the stem. From the Hampsten website:

A properly fitted bicycle is centered on the stem, which we think of in terms of sizes: small (100-105mm, for frames in the 50-54cm range), medium (110-120mm, for 54.5-57cm range), and large (120-130mm, for 57.5cm and up range). A bicycle built around the proper stem length – giving correct reach – will have optimal weight distribution and handling characteristics. We believe that the cure for a poorly fitting bicycle is not a longer/shorter stem but rather a well-built frame using the correct length stem.

I ask because while I love my 54 Responsorium (with a 110mm stem), I'm pretty sure I could also fit a 52 or 53 mated to a longer stem. I would still have the same saddle setback, saddle-to-bar reach and drop. Weight distribution and handling would probably differ slightly though. So, yeah, with clients who can fit more than one frame size comfortably, how do you decide which size is optimal?

Thanks!
    That design philosophy makes me think of this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. Pegoretti,

I absolutely love the painting on your frames. Do you ever just paint on canvas or paper to make "art" for the sake of making art? How did your paint-jobs become so painterly?

Warm regards,

Shinomaster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dario,

Just want to say thank you for enriching my life through your creation.

Best,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dario,

I think you were one of the first to start using TIG. How did it come about?

Today you still braze some frames and solder most of them, what technique do you prefer?

Thanks and great work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    With your permission I'd like to ask some harder questions.
    Do great race bikes also make great training bikes?
    Ciao Josh ,
    please can you explain better the question ?
    sorry it is not clear for me .
    d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ciofecca gialloblů View Post
    Hello Dario,
    I wanted to say good-bye in english (with the help of Uncle "Bing Translator").
    A greeting to all your friends and fans of Dario bike around the world.
    I am presenting to the group, my name is Roberto, i live in Verona, the city of "Romeo and Juliet" and "Arena", I think Dario is a fantastic framebuilder and also a special person.
    I forgot: I have a Marcelo and a Big Leg Emma (I love this frame) and ... is not yet finished here.
    Ciao Roberto ,
    happy to meet you here on v-salon, Roberto is a lucky man because he live in one of the most beutiful town in italy , Verona that is still in my heart.
    d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -HvA- View Post
    Dario, just let me be another person to say: I love you work!

Obviously a lot of people know you for your beautiful artwork, the use of typography, etc. Do you ever feel frustrated a lot of people don't know about your technical innovations?

Can you tell us a little bit about your work with Columbus?

I read somewhere you like southwestern food, so if you ever make it out here breakfast burritos, wine and other great food is on me!
    Ciao
    Thanks for your words, no I do not feel frustrated, I guess if the paintscheme or color can be used to draw attention to a work that is different from the mass production is a good thing.
    I understand that at first glance the color may be predominant but normally ,after a little time , attention moves on the technical aspect.
    I started working with columbus in 2004, the main reason was because I found people willing to follow new ways and new ideas, in my opinion is still the company closer to the world of framebuilding,
    It is true I love southwest, if I had to choose a place to live, santa fč is at the top of the list, and I adore the Tex-Mex cuisine, I hope one day we will have the opportunity of a breackfast burrito.
    ciao
    d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Dario

Mingus or Monk?
    Hi Roman,
    damn, it's a question too difficult, they were both genius !
    but ........... my soul say Monk .
    ciao
    d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dario, why isnt weight important to you? Logically isnt it faster to ride/race the lightest bike you can? What advantages does a Pegoretti frame have over a good stiff carbon frame weighing 40-50% less?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately I've never met Dario and probably never will, I admire most of all his modesty in spite of his precocious talents.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I will ask the obvious question, since I have heard answers from others but not from you, and then a few of my own:

1) Dropped top tube: why, and how did you get to that choice?

2) In terms of ride quality alone, is there anything left to achieve in your chosen materials that you feel you have not yet achieved?

3) Which of your frames would you advise for a fit and light but not incredibly powerful club rider who prizes comfort and smoothness above all over 50 mile rides in rolling hills?

4) Do you feel there is a paint scheme in you that will be more satisfying than what you have done before but you have not quite found it yet?

Thank you for contributing to this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    When did you start using really large tubes?
    Did your work with professional cyclists bring this about?
    Do you prefer steel or aluminum for high-performance bicycles?

I'm watching this with great fascination. Here is a pic of myself the the "Simple Blacksmith" at NAHBS this year. What fun!
    Ciao
    I have started to use large tubes around 1991, I met one of the most unknown person in the bike business, Mr. Isidoro Rezze ,maybe someone remembers his son that was a good pro in France and Italy, Dante Rezze.
    Isidoro Rezze was the owner at Excell tubes, he opened to me a new vision because he had the opportunity to provide tubes with diameters and thicknesses in a wide range .
    The quality of the material used was excellent and the delivery very fast , my opinion is that Isidoro Rezze has been a great precursor.
    I remember well the first Marcelo, it was born at the end of 1992, in its essence was the same of what I do now, and I must also say that when the frame come out from the jig I disliked it , the frame disturbed me for how much was different from what I had done until then.
    in the early 90 many frames were built for the pro with 35 down and 31.7 top and seat .
    I prefer steel, but only because it is the material that I know better, I believe we can build good frames with other materials, the result depends on the choices of the builder , material is only a part of the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    whata saturday ride --- next to you in steel with a steel cx richie ... now that was a "soul" ride..

thank you,

ronnie
    grazie a te Ronnie
    d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dario, I'll explain in more detail. Suppose an rider were to purchase an race bicycle similar to any we currently see raced in Le Tour. Will that bicycle also be a good choice for training, putting in the 1000's of Kilometers necessary to prepare for racing or hard events? My personal opinion is that there is generally no difference, good race bikes are also perfect for training or getting groceries. I will admit I've considered using a bicycle with a slightly shorter top tube for heavy training. Set me straight!!!

Second, I have been a professional coach and bicycle fitter for yrs. In all the years of doing this I've never found a reason to adjust anyone's bars higher than their saddle. Can you comment as to why level bar/saddle or an appropriate amount of bar drop is the correct prescription and when is it not correct?

Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dario,

i love riding my responsorium. it's comfortable and fast and i love how it looks.

would i also enjoy a BLE or a love #3 or do you think most riders are best suited for one particular model of bike?

thank you,

marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dario, many thanks for the fixed frame you did for me through Kyle last year, a Duende in Ayers Rock. It's beautiful.