User Tag List

Page 40 of 82 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

To go from $5k to $50k feels a little extortion-y especially with the flight bot which feels a little stalk-y. And now he’s publishing the correspondence which feels a little threatening-y.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the kid it's all fun and games until it turns serious. And he doesn't get to decided when that happens.

Somehow I think Musk's lawyers and PI's are going to be a bit higher paid than this kid's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    To go from $5k to $50k feels a little extortion-y especially with the flight bot which feels a little stalk-y. And now he’s publishing the correspondence which feels a little threatening-y.
    Isn't this the standard business model on the internet? I collect data on you from multiple sources and then sell it to interested parties?

If you think this is threatening and a little stalky, you really are naive about most business on the internet. Until 2017, google did scan personal emails to collect data on 'personalization' of experience? I write a email about travelling to Hawaii and all of a sudden I get Hawaii hotel adverts.....

There are entire ecosystems like NSO which is just the tip of the iceberg.
    The dangerous psychopath in this episode is Elon, not the kid.

You ever see a movie when a kid with a camera stumbles upon a serial killer doing his work? What happens to the kid?

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Isn't this the standard business model on the internet? I collect data on you from multiple sources and then sell it to interested parties?

If you think this is threatening and a little stalky, you really are naive about most business on the internet. Until 2017, google did scan personal emails to collect data on 'personalization' of experience? I write a email about travelling to Hawaii and all of a sudden I get Hawaii hotel adverts.....

There are entire ecosystems like NSO which is just the tip of the iceberg.
    The dangerous psychopath in this episode is Elon, not the kid.

You ever see a movie when a kid with a camera stumbles upon a serial killer doing his work? What happens to the kid?

D
    I am not naive, thank you very much. Just because there are similarities with Google's behavior and there are companies like NSO that doesn't excuse the elements of the kid's actions that tiptoe the line between technological curiosity and stalking a public figure. I think his actions are equally similar to ransomware attacks in that he's taken a vulnerability and exploited it to hold Musk's privacy (while traveling) for ransom. He's been asked by Musk to stop posting updates on his whereabouts, and the kid refused and asked for more money. That sucks. And it sucks no matter how many similar activities occur in technology and no matter how much of a psychopath Musk may be. Ethical behavior isn't crowd sourced. It is an individual responsibility.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-01-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not naive, thank you very much. Just because there are similarities with Google's behavior and there are companies like NSO that doesn't excuse the elements of the kid's actions that tiptoe the line between technological curiosity and stalking a public figure. I think his actions are equally similar to ransomware attacks in that he's taken a vulnerability and exploited it to hold Musk's privacy (while traveling) for ransom. He's been asked by Musk to stop posting updates on his whereabouts, and the kid refused and asked for more money. That sucks. And it sucks no matter how many similar activities occur in technology and no matter how much of a psychopath Musk may be. Ethical behavior isn't crowd sourced. It is an individual responsibility.
    I look at it completely the opposite way. By posting it in the public domain, he is not stalking. The reality here is he probably pissed off a bunch of hedgefund guys who were tracking his tail numbers already. I don't see this as a ransomware attack at all.. He didn't ask to be paid. Elon offered, and offered a paltry some considering his wealth. The kid just shot back with a funny offer... I actually think the kid doesn't want any money/ If the kid had replied, I don't want money, it's a public service. Would you still consider it a problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait until Gates pulls the plug on his Xbox live account and Bezos ups the monthly fee on his Amazon Prime membership...
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I look at it completely the opposite way. By posting it in the public domain, he is not stalking. The reality here is he probably pissed off a bunch of hedgefund guys who were tracking his tail numbers already. I don't see this as a ransomware attack at all.. He didn't ask to be paid. Elon offered, and offered a paltry some considering his wealth. The kid just shot back with a funny offer... I actually think the kid doesn't want any money/ If the kid had replied, I don't want money, it's a public service. Would you still consider it a problem?
    It wasn't the money, it was the refusal to stop tracking Musk unless he received the $50,000. To me, that starts to feel like a threat and changed the dynamic entirely.

But if the kid refused money, that would be an improvement. If he stopped tracking Musk and refused the money, even better.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flights can be tracked. Finding high profile private flights is a bit tougher but not that tough. I also see it as borderline stalking and whiTe blackmailing seems a bit OTT to label it, that’s sort of how I see it.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 02-01-2022 at 06:24 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, meant to say “while”, not the potentially awkward and incomprehensible whiTe….. typo on me.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't the money, it was the refusal to stop tracking Musk unless he received the $50,000. To me, that starts to feel like a threat and changed the dynamic entirely.

But if the kid refused money, that would be an improvement. If he stopped tracking Musk and refused the money, even better.
    What if he instead wants an internship?

Kid is out of his depth. I first thought the references to Gates and Bezos were in jest; turns out they weren't (see article linked).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no love for any of these people, but this kid is increasingly coming across as a sociopath every day that passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    I have no love for any of these people, but this kid is increasingly coming across as a sociopath every day that passes.
    Not sure about sociopath, but the modus operandi is pretty much comparable to that of a paparazzo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Not sure about sociopath, but the modus operandi is pretty much comparable to that of a paparazzo.
    Distinction without a difference, imo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting aside the kid's motives, there is something ironic about a person who has shamelessly used the net for publicity complaining about the net providing the ability to track him. Live by the sword. Die by the sword.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven’t really followed this episode and I can’t stand Musk so I’m not going to. Tracking tail numbers way pre-dates the internet (1980’s?). If you don’t want want people to know where you are going, use a charter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Philster View Post
    If you don’t want want people to know where you are going, use a charter.
    Then the 0.00001 percenters have to share the plane with the great unwashed masses (the 0.1 percenters who use charters).

These people have enough money that I bet they'll either 1) get the FAA to change the rules so their tail numbers can't be tracked, or 2) buy planes through a shell company that can't be traced to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Philster View Post
    I haven’t really followed this episode and I can’t stand Musk so I’m not going to. Tracking tail numbers way pre-dates the internet (1980’s?). If you don’t want want people to know where you are going, use a charter.
    Even charter doesn't work to foil the followers. As you noted, people have been tracking aircraft for years. In the clip below, watch for the Lockheed JetStar at 1:57. That was one of my old birds, complete with two of my good friends/co-workers at the controls. They had to sign up for the actors' union (SAG?) to appear in the movie and did in fact get $$ for their day on the set.

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, this one made me chuckle...

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/amer...ry?id=82880968

According to accounts from those on board, passengers held the man and eventually a flight attendant used a coffee pot to subdue him as the plane descended.
    seriously though, what the hell is wrong with some people??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The perspective just looked good to me; the wind-wagon glass set has been in the family at least as long as I can remember. 17154F46-E4F4-47A7-A99A-147CD5A4D3E8.jpg
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    OK, this one made me chuckle...

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/amer...ry?id=82880968 seriously though, what the hell is wrong with some people??
    The flight attendant reportedly asked the passenger if they wanted regular or decaf before they brandished the pot…seriously, it’s nuts.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.