Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 71 of 112 FirstFirst ... 616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Yeah, I have one too, have the scar to prove it, but not sure about relying on it for immunity, especially since I don't think I ever got a booster.
    I got this as a kid and then again when I went to Ethiopia in 2008 - it was at least a TB vaccination and for leprosy(I think?) I got a reaction to that one on my arm that required a blood test to double check, so there was a little excitement involved.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Not trying to sound like a broken record and not trying to beat a dead horse but...

Traffic today is as busy as yesterday so this is not an anomaly. (Many) people are not staying home anymore as they should. And there are far fewer people in the muddy river walking, jogging, running, and cycling on this nice and sunny weekday, as there have been the past 3 weeks, so I assume it is related and they all went back to work (yesterday).

MA has a stay-at-home-advisory (not order) so its not like officials can do anything about it.
    Not trying to explain away bad decision making, but it seems like some of the $1200 checks started arriving today. Maybe that's it?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not trying to explain away bad decision making, but it seems like some of the $1200 checks started arriving today. Maybe that's it?
    There are so many jokes, in poor taste, that I could make but I'll pass.

MA does have an order that all non-essential business must be closed but apparently that only means (to business owners) retail establishments in which you might get caught if you are open. Restaurants have all been able to remain open for take-out-only but instead many have decided to lay off workers and remain closed indefinitely.

In some twisted way, I want to know where all these people are going. Am I missing the first big party of the decade?

* Written on my laptop in the bedroom because my wife needs the home office (aka dining room) for yet another useless zoom meeting which takes twice as long as needed and nothing of importance ever gets done (this statement is not a reflection of her personal work ethic and results).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the Governor goes on TV and announces that we are at a plateau means to most people that we can do whatever we want now.
    It was a mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another data point: One interior renovation and one driveway replacement, visible from my home "office" window right now. I don't see these items on the list.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just got our first furniture delivery for the new house (from Spain no less,) which we were not ready for in several different ways. Fortunately we have plenty of room in the garage now and a big blue tarp (I always have a big blue tarp.) Fortunately too the delivery guys wanted less to do with me than I did with them. They wore masks and gloves. Of course, I had to open the big box and check contents. I looked as best as I could and hope the item is not somehow cracked or damaged in some way I couldn't see. Nerve wracking process.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-15-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Another data point: One interior renovation and one driveway replacement, visible from my home "office" window right now. I don't see these items on the list.
    It could be under the "Construction-Related Services" umbrella. Not following the spirit of the law at all but clearly justified by the parties involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    It could be under the "Construction-Related Services" umbrella. Not following the spirit of the law at all but clearly justified by the parties involved.
    Hey Houston, how are you feeling today?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just got our first furniture delivery for the new house (from Spain no less,) which we were not ready for in several different ways. Fortunately we have plenty of room in the garage now and a big blue tarp (I always have a big blue tarp.) Fortunately too the delivery guys wanted less to do with me than I did with them. They wore masks and gloves. Of course, I had to open the big box and check contents. I looked as best as I could and hope the item is not somehow cracked or damaged in some way I couldn't see. Nerve wracking process.
    My wife just received a bucket of mail from USPS that they had been holding since her store closed for the lockdown. I told her to burn it. She said no, there might be bills in there. I told her that's an even better reason to burn it.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Houston, how are you feeling today?
    I appreciate you asking. I am feeling a lot better today. Yesterday at about this time, I started feeling a bit better and more energetic and I have been getting better steadily. This is day 9 and I am very optimistic that I am pulling out of it(whatever it was).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got this as a kid and then again when I went to Ethiopia in 2008 - it was at least a TB vaccination and for leprosy(I think?) I got a reaction to that one on my arm that required a blood test to double check, so there was a little excitement involved.
    Funny story.

Years ago when I was racing bicycles I crashed hard and went to the hospital. For some reason (maybe because of great health insurance) the staff decided to test for TB....and I tested positive.

Oh boy, 3 doctors (all American) got together and after there little get together told me about their treatment plan for TB. Luckily another doctor (from China) entered the room I was in and asked where I was born......not in the USA. I totally forgot that I was vaccinated.

Anyhow, I heard about the possibility (this vaccine might help fight C19) two weeks ago. I'm doubtful as the vaccine loses effectiveness with age and I never got a booster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Australia is a conundrum...well NSW anyway. We don’t have a strict lockdown.

We’ve got stay at home except for exercise and groceries. Work from home if you can. If you are caught out without a reasonable excuse it’s a $1,000 fine.

I’m pretty sure “I’m going to Harvey Norman to browse couches” isn’t a reasonable excuse. So why is it still open?

There are a tonne of businesses that are open that customers can’t legally use as far as i can tell...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate you asking. I am feeling a lot better today. Yesterday at about this time, I started feeling a bit better and more energetic and I have been getting better steadily. This is day 9 and I am very optimistic that I am pulling out of it(whatever it was).
    Excellent. Good to hear it. Keep chugging along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I have been thinking the past 2 days every time I look out the window and see the selfish people not staying at home (putting themselves as well as me and my wife at risk).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank dog.

Hey NYC. Pull the drapes. Pour yourself a stiff one. xxoo
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-16-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jen Weiner writes an interesting piece.

Opinion | The Seductive Appeal of Pandemic Shaming - The New York Times

I feel a lot of her plot lines and recognize a lot of characters in her stories because my sister is one of her classmates (just a few years behind me in the same high school). On this one, my takeaway is that we can do this. Don’t be Karen (and don’t be Gail Wylie).
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had an annual TB test administered by the school. I ALWAYS tested positive for the initial jab test and had to go to the hospital to have an X-ray etc done to confirm results. Always a false positive. Whilst the alternative is clearly undesirable, it turned into an annual eye-rolling ritual for me.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, isn’t the mezuzah (and the associated custom) a significant health hazard in these times? How are people getting around the issue, if at all?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, isn’t the mezuzah (and the associated custom) a significant health hazard in these times? How are people getting around the issue, if at all?
    Well, the Haredi communities in Israel have been particularly hard hit since they initially ignored the original guidelines. It was very bad. The army had to called and a community of 200,000 people where put in lock down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrong Jewish word I think. Mezuzah is the small ampule containing a rolled prayer that is nailed to the door way - usually the entry into the house but the more orthodox put it on every doorway.

I think you mean the mikvah or ritual bath? Obviously the practice itself is not unsafe. Just that the unknown factor of whether any member has Covid19 is what is unsafe.

You would think that religious leaders would be pushing for increased availability for Covid19 testing. That would make it possible to assign individuals the responsibility of making a quorem safely, and all the rituals that need to be performed to adhere to the required practices.

On the other hand, the Jewish faith has a long history of tenaciously practicing the rituals of the faith in the face of tremendous danger.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-16-2020 at 08:52 AM.