Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pilot-style watch recommendations for my 15 year old?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pilot-style watch recommendations for my 15 year old?

We're trying to raise our son with a quality over quantity attitude, but we're squarely in the middle class.
    I had floated the idea of a nice watch for him a while back. He wasn't interested and I didn't push.

We're on vacation in Europe (house swap for the month) and he's mentioned a watch a number of times. I'm not sure if it was the airport shops, the euro-fashion or just a tincture of time thing, but I'm kind-of excited about it.
    I'm not convinced he's really that into the idea and I don't want to spend a whole lot (ideally in the $300 range). I also would much-prefer an automatic as I think of them like I think of a nice hand-made bike ~ having a soul.

Thus far, his preference has been for the plainer Pilot style watches. Personally, I'm a fan of dive watches as I've explained to him that you can beat the $#@ out of them and not give it a second thought.

I've been looking at Hamilton, Tissot, Laco, and others on watchuseek and some of the online retailers. I've also stopped in some of the watch-shops over here and had him feel some of the options (a 42 is probably on the big side for him right now and a 40 or even a 38 seems just-right --- though he's 6' tall and may well have more to go).

Any advice or recommendations? -- or if anyone has something like this that they were considering flipping, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pilot-style watch recommendations for my 15 year old?

In that price range, I'd suggest looking at Seiko watches. They don't have a fancy European heritage, but work well, are durable without the need for maintenance and they have a decent fashion quota. Regardless of brand, I would go with 42. It will seem big at first, but you get used to the size and then it seems just right with 40 being small and 38 being just downright tiny. I am 6' and both my watches (Omega Speedmaster and Seamaster Pro) are 42.

For watch info, community forums and a brisk used watch trade, I'd recommend going to timezone.com. Most of the watches there are pricier than the range you are looking at, but it's fun to browse. Also, have a read of the Watch Snob columns. He talks about watches that cost what cars cost but he's funny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know much about watches, but I was just looking at this one and thought it was pretty cool, especially since it is water-resistant to 200m/660ft. If I have to take a watch off, I lose it. So I need one that can go in the water. I have wrists like Andy Schleck, but this watch is basically a 40 with an extended area around the crown, so I figure this will work. Probably not quite the level you were considering though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mike--check out the Maratac Pilot. There's a big one (46mm) and a mid one that's a out 40mm. Very nice watch do the money; they're available in small batches, so you may need to be patient. Check out the thread in Art of Wardrobe; I posted pix there. Ciao,
    JC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming you're willing to go with quartz (for a young guy the lack of accuracy of an automatic may be a disappointment) then Luminox might be a good option. Mine has been silly-accurate over the years, which I've always appreciated.

Your son might like the super-bright light cartridges (at least I think that's what they call them) and if he ever becomes a Navy Seal he won't even have to buy a new watch! Finally, I'm pretty sure that they're right in your price range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd hand Hamilton? I've been quite impressed with my 2. Definitely not the fit and finish of my Planet Ocean, but quite solid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the ideas.
    I like the notion of the Maratec more than the Seiko, but I'm not sure I have a good reason.
    I LOVE the idea of second-hand ~ hence the daily sifting through WUS forum.

I know exactly what you mean about the accuracy of the quartz over the automatic, but I'd rather teach him to care for something and to appreciate the craftsmanship. If he really needs to know the time, he can look at his iPhone. I think that's the part that has me most excited...watches have been steadily losing favor. I love the notion that he might grab a hold of this tradition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am about to pull the trigger on this one for my 53rd. Slightly more than your budget, but lots of quality swiss-style: New O & W Diver 660ft - the Ranger model

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VTMike View Post
    I know exactly what you mean about the accuracy of the quartz over the automatic, but I'd rather teach him to care for something and to appreciate the craftsmanship. If he really needs to know the time, he can look at his iPhone. I think that's the part that has me most excited...watches have been steadily losing favor. I love the notion that he might grab a hold of this tradition.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the accuracy of an automatic. They're not so far off that one can't be used for telling time. A little adjustment from time to time and it should be more than close enough and actually using it as a watch, IMO, is part of the tradition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I am about to pull the trigger on this one for my 53rd. Slightly more than your budget, but lots of quality swiss-style: New O & W Diver 660ft - the Ranger model
    Those are sharp...
    And I could be convinced to spend a bit more.

To those in the know, is this a lot more watch than the others being discussed?
    I can't read through the details and know what the heck is better/not as good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the accuracy of an automatic. They're not so far off that one can't be used for telling time. A little adjustment from time to time and it should be more than close enough and actually using it as a watch, IMO, is part of the tradition.
    I agree completely.
    I wear an Oris Auto and have no problem knowing what time it is.
    Besides, when the minutes/seconds matter, you have no idea what standard they're working from anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Obris Morgan Branco would fit the bill pretty well. It is titanium, automatic, very simple and even has a few hints of dive watch mixed into the design. It's a 43mm case so it is slightly bigger than what you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    I think the Obris Morgan Branco would fit the bill pretty well. It is titanium, automatic, very simple and even has a few hints of dive watch mixed into the design. It's a 43mm case so it is slightly bigger than what you want.
    I'd never seen those before. Pretty cool watch and much better looking for a 15yr old than a seiko.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Pretty cool watch and much better looking for a 15yr old than a seiko.
    Agreed!
    Obris?
    Maratec?
    O&W?

How the heck do you pick one over the other when you can't really see/compare them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now comes the leap of faith. I have seen the Obris and Maratec. No disappointments there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A random question: When a size is quoted, say "42," which I assume is a diameter, what exactly is being measured? Just the dial or crystal, or does that also include the case?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    A random question: When a size is quoted, say "42," which I assume is a diameter, what exactly is being measured? Just the dial or crystal, or does that also include the case?

TIA
    It is diameter for the case, and I think it is typically measured diagonally without including the lugs or the crown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seiko Orange Monster (The Seiko Orange Monster Review >> WristWatchReview.com). IMO a better quality watch than the others mentioned in this thread. It's certainly a watch he can grow with, and carry into adulthood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those Orange and black Monsters are an acquired taste. The quality is excellent and they are incredibly durable and maintenance free. The lume on the dial and hands is legendary. If the looks jive with you, move it to the top of your list. It is clearly a diver and not a pilot watch. Good call, Cash!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast