User Tag List

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: the art of shaving (your face)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: the art of shaving (your face)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    That Atlas looks great. I use something similar. Feather makes a SS DE Feather AS-D2 Stainless Safety Razor
    If you're not on Bespoke Post, it's worth a join just to see what they occasionally drop for shaving. I got a pretty interesting aluminum razor (with a wicked blade gap) in a box a few months ago. I call it my "fear factor" razor. With a feather blade, the light weight, and the blade gap, it'll shave incredibly close. It will also cause an old-school bloodletting if you're not using light pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That Atlas looks great. I use something similar. Feather makes a SS DE Feather AS-D2 Stainless Safety Razor

And watch the forums and eBay for older vintage Feather razors. Pretty much all the high end ones are stainless steel, and there are some that are a lot nicer than the AS-D2. For a while Feather made them extra fine, so they weren't that hot on thick beard but great if you don't grow heavy overnight. And they experimented with a few models as well to change the gape of the razor and the way the blade sat under the crown. Any of them are worth the investment.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Anyone order from Lee's lately? The site says to send an email if you want to order, but two emails have gone unanswered. It appears there is no longer a shopping cart on the site...

Cheers,
    Harth
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I just received a package from the postman. While I was unpacking the box, I realized that I pretty much put all my eggs in a single basket... For whatever reason I took a liking to this vendor on the B&B forum and I now have four differently scented soft soaps, all from RazoRock. Fortunately, I was able to create a decent lather on the first try with the soft soaps... the unfortunate part is that I'm not in love with any of these scents. I don't love the mild smell of the mitchell's wool fat either, but its something else to try. Next time I order stuff, I'll spread the love around and get a better sampling of what's out there. In the meantime, maybe I'll try to trade away the ones I like least.

I did also get some kiss my face and it helped with lathering my first hard soap. I dont think I have overly hard water, I think it's more my technique. I'll work with the soft soaps for a while to figure things out and then try again.

For a newcomer on the scene, the Razo Rock makes some good stuff, but for me, Mitchell's Wool Fat is damn near the gold standard for cushion and glide. It's a little tricky to get a proper lather, but it's great stuff. Most every soap that is formulated with tallow has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Had my first straight razor shave today at the barber shop. Man that's living
    I'm sure it was a pleasure, but these days, most state barbering/cosmetology licensing agencies require that 'shavettes' - or 'straight' razors with disposable safety razor inserts - be used. They are way harsh, IMO, and in no way do they compare with a proper, well-honed straight razor. You unfortunately cannot get store bought shave with a real straight these days....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can confidently say that my experience with Lee's was one of the worst shopping experiences I've had in memory. Poor communications, brusque at best, unclear about delivery times, and generally made it seem like my order was a chore. Too many other great options to ever do business with him again.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxharth View Post
    Anyone order from Lee's lately? The site says to send an email if you want to order, but two emails have gone unanswered. It appears there is no longer a shopping cart on the site...

Cheers,
    Harth
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear that. My experience has been quite different, pleasant even. But that is a moot point if he's not going to answer emails and his site doesn't have a shopping cart. My money went elsewhere this time. And that can be costly to a business because I found a much cheaper source, even when lower price wasn't one of my goals.

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    I can confidently say that my experience with Lee's was one of the worst shopping experiences I've had in memory. Poor communications, brusque at best, unclear about delivery times, and generally made it seem like my order was a chore. Too many other great options to ever do business with him again.
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had my AS-D2 for some years, it's wonderful. I checked fleabay just for giggles, prices have gone crazy. That is my best razor, my first DE was a Gillette "Big Red" which is not so great.

Today, I looked at electric razors. Fortunately, it was only a bad dream.

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    And watch the forums and eBay for older vintage Feather razors. Pretty much all the high end ones are stainless steel, and there are some that are a lot nicer than the AS-D2. For a while Feather made them extra fine, so they weren't that hot on thick beard but great if you don't grow heavy overnight. And they experimented with a few models as well to change the gape of the razor and the way the blade sat under the crown. Any of them are worth the investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using a Gillette safety razor my entire life, ever since I bought it at the flea market when I was 14 for fifty cents. Wilkinson Sword or Merkur Super blades. Barbasol or, if I'm feeling fancy, some Proraso my buddy brought back from Italy when he was stationed there. Wax on, wax off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You deserve to allow us to spend your hard earned cash. May we enable you please?

Quote Originally Posted by alexstar View Post
    I've been using a Gillette safety razor my entire life, ever since I bought it at the flea market when I was 14 for fifty cents. Wilkinson Sword or Merkur Super blades. Barbasol or, if I'm feeling fancy, some Proraso my buddy brought back from Italy when he was stationed there. Wax on, wax off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So when are we going to see some NixFrixShun shaving cream?
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    So when are we going to see some NixFrixShun shaving cream?
    I've been using the NFS+ with good results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiseguy. Maybe I mentioned that 15'ish years back I had aspirations of creating therapeutic cosmetics. The formulas for that is still something I'd love to accomplish into reality but heck not as a shaving creme yo. Curing toenail rot is more up my alley...seriously I can do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiseguy. Maybe I mentioned that 15'ish years back I had aspirations of creating therapeutic cosmetics. The formulas for that is still something I'd love to accomplish into reality but heck not as a shaving creme yo. Curing toenail rot is more up my alley...seriously I can do that.
    Vicks Vapo Rub. Srsly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clunk View Post
    Vicks Vapo Rub. Srsly.
    I double dog dare you to re-create iconic aromas like that. Remarkably difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was speaking to the "toenail rot" comment--I had success with that stuff based on my p. c. doc's rec from "anecdotal evidence." I would certainly defer to the alchemist behind NFS in matters of chemical creation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clunk View Post
    Was speaking to the "toenail rot" comment--I had success with that stuff based on my p. c. doc's rec from "anecdotal evidence." I would certainly defer to the alchemist behind NFS in matters of chemical creation.
    Oh well shoot. That's more a matter of gathering materials and ruining my kitchen. I'll let you know. Might take a while but hey bet you've had that mess for a long time....sorry about that. Stay in touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the subject at hand.

I was paging thru Badger and Blade forum and stumbled on this: Stainless Steel Double Edged Safety Razors

Trust me, it looks like a Feather Stainless Steel DE but it's even more expensive and unnecessary. Make it stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... Curing toenail rot is more up my alley...seriously I can do that.

Wait. OMG. NFS does that, too?
    Wow !
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeps 'em quiet too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave gets it.