Thread: nyc hot spots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default nyc hot spots

chase knows all the hotspots

what are the hotspots and a51 places to visit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: nyc hot spots

Death & Co.

Fun place with a few friends if you can get a table.

Amazing, and i do mean amazing, cocktails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYC Velo, David Burke Kitchen, Rockin' Raw (Williamsburg). Be nice or leave.

Otherwise, I ain't talkin'. Different people enjoy different things. And scenes change.

But I'm happy to arrange a fine time for anyone visiting the city that would like to PM me.

As a great man once said, PM me if you're interesting.
    Last edited by chasea; 11-26-2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Not interested in starting up a C-Salon
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in the city last weekend for work and had time for a walk to Pomme Frites (2nd & 8th Street). Go easy on the mayo but nothing makes me happier than Belgian fries. Ridiculously fun. There are so many great places in NYC that you need Chase. He's interesting.
    Qui plume a, guerre a. Ce monde est un vaste temple dédié à la discorde.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pommes Frites is especially great for being BYOB. Though the last time I tested that was a few years ago.

As for myself: I only hang out in lame places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just walked past waffles & dingles or whatever it is. Trailer was parked in front of Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle.

Those things looked tasty. They're big supporters of local cycling from what I'm told, so more power to 'em.

On this subject, other favorite haunts include Tortilla Flats in the West Village. In years past, went there just about every night, even if just for a beer or a soda & snack after work to relax and unwind (typically after midnight+). It was a block away from where I lived. Fun, fun place.

Random related story: so I'm out riding in Palo Alto one day during a biz trip and end up cruising around Woodside with some dude who's also out for a spin. We start talkin' 'bout NYC, and it turns out he's very good friends with the lady who owned Tortilla Flats at the time (we're talkin' late 90's or thereabouts). It's a small, small world.

And ps never turn down the opportunity to have drinks with friends, it can save your life. Literally. It did for me. More on that story some other time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heading to NYC for a week in early December, looking forward to checking a few of these places out.

Any recommendations for the best coffee in NYC? Looking for some knock-your-socks off espresso.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrk_d View Post
    Heading to NYC for a week in early December, looking forward to checking a few of these places out.

Any recommendations for the best coffee in NYC? Looking for some knock-your-socks off espresso.
    My apartment. But also: Culture Espresso 38th and 6th (on 38th, probably under scaffolding), Sweetleaf in LIC, Blue Bottle in Williamsburg, or type Cafe Grumpy or Gimme Coffee into google maps. The first suggestion is the only one that I've consistently gotten good espresso at. I don't drink it out much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    My apartment. But also: Culture Espresso 38th and 6th (on 38th, probably under scaffolding), Sweetleaf in LIC, Blue Bottle in Williamsburg, or type Cafe Grumpy or Gimme Coffee into google maps. The first suggestion is the only one that I've consistently gotten good espresso at. I don't drink it out much.
    Culture is good, a quick walk from my office.

But for me, Zibetto is better: 6th avenue, close to the park in the high 50's (close to SBR)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jas0n View Post

But for me, Zibetto is better: 6th avenue, close to the park in the high 50's (close to SBR)
    Zibetto is good. Fika is also good and just around the corner.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graydon Carter Will Oversee the Design of the New Beatrice Inn

The new Beatrice Inn? I don't think so. For those not in the know, Beatrice was notoriously hard to get in to. It was owned by Paul Sevigny, Chole's brother, who failed to replicate Beatrice at his new place, Kenmare.

But back in the day... wow. It was the place you loved to hate. Snobby door guy (who has moved to Avenue) made it next to imposslobe to gain entry. But once inside... Expensive drinks, great music, gorgeous people. Everyone thought you were somebody just for being there. I used to crash in the neighborhood, playing music in Central Park for money. If I made $200 that day, $198 was spent on a night out and $2 was saved for the subway trip back to the park the next day. Drink, chat up girls (Serbian twin sisters!!!), stumble out, repeat.

I'm older now (like, 3 years), so let's hope the new owner isn't able to replicate the place. I can't go back to that hedonistic lifestyle.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those stupid dueling christmas light bangladeshi restaurants on 90something first avenue are the opposite of what chasea is describing. terrible food, byob, and although the two restaurants share a stairway- everytime i've been there the respective hustlers of each establishment get in to a fist fight to get you in to their retsuarant. then one guy will put out more lights- so then the other guy brings out a hundred balloons, then the first guy brings out an inflattable santa claus (in august) it must continue indefinately. oh and the music blaring sounds like the brain waves of george harrison on a sheet of acid practicing tamil sitar disco hits played at the wrong speed.

new yorks allright...if you're a homosexual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post

new yorks allright...if you're a homosexual.
    Paraphrasing the Boiler Room (aka white kids' Scarface)

"You know what? They should take all you gays and put you on an island."
    "Guess what. You're on it."
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jas0n View Post

Culture is close to where I usually am when I'm in midtown, so I go there. I'll have to check Zibetto out though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Paraphrasing the Boiler Room (aka white kids' Scarface)

"You know what? They should take all you gays and put you on an island."
    "Guess what. You're on it."
    i was quoting noted thespian, lee ving.

btw IS vin diesel white? if not, can he be the white kid's scarface?
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I'm with you on Manhattan. Its kind of the worst.

Actually, so is Brooklyn. Its very, very bad. Nothing interesting happens there. And its waaay too hard to get to. And roving gangs terrorize the streets. Everyone should just not bother. You hear me?!?! Everyone should stay in Manhattan. (That should buy me another year in my place before I'm priced right out of it).
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Honestly, I'm with you on Manhattan. Its kind of the worst.

Actually, so is Brooklyn. Its very, very bad. Nothing interesting happens there. And its waaay too hard to get to. And roving gangs terrorize the streets. Everyone should just not bother. You hear me?!?! Everyone should stay in Manhattan. (That should buy me another year in my place before I'm priced right out of it).
    i'm just jealous. i live in what i've decided is the worst city in north america within 10 miles of an ocean. expensive, full of douchebags, rascist, nothing at all goes on after 11pm...nothing worth doing goes on before 11pm. boston is the worst.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm just jealous. i live in what i've decided is the worst city in north america within 10 miles of an ocean. expensive, full of douchebags, rascist, nothing at all goes on after 11pm...nothing worth doing goes on before 11pm. boston is the worst.
    NYC:
    Ocean- check
    Expensive- check
    Full of douchebags- check
    Racist- CHECK

The 11pm thing is a major dealbreaker, though.

The Shank was a 4:30am-whenever warehouse party owned/operated/managed,inhabited by a friend of mine. My band played there once. We went on at 4:45 am, and finished around 5. they asked us to hang around and do a second set. The 7am set was much, MUCH better. Work the next day sucked.

Eventually it got too big. A bad crowd took over and it got dangerous. So they shut it down and something new took its place. The problem with these things- besides the fact that you're partying with people who literally have nowhere else to go after last call- is that by the time you hear about it, its on its way out. And for good reason.

My guitarist, Darren, worked the door until it got so big that hired thugs had to take over his duties. Check out the implied racism the author of this piece decided to ad to his quote.
    http://www.nypress.com/article-20107...the-shank.html
    Last edited by chasea; 12-07-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best moments of my life were spent on a bike- all the others worth mentioning were spent iinn new york city. Whether it was doing bad coke off a key at a show at cbgbs, hanging with guys I considered heroes at a lower east side squat, wandering brooklyn holding hands with a chick one hundred levels out of my league, or simply getting a piece of pizza and a cold beer for subway tokens at four in the morning- it is undoubtedly the capital of the world and I do believe will one day be the capital off the universe. I also love the fact that I can walk around with my big nose, my high cheekbones, my blue eyes ,my skinny six three and swallow chest in a pair of boots and a mr. bubble tshirt and feel like everyone I see looks enough like me to be a relative. Short of berlin and belgrade no where else in the whole world do I feel like that....too bad I'm a red six, celtics and bruins fan.

I love ny.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best moments of my life were spent on a bike- all the others worth mentioning were spent iinn new york city. Whether it was doing bad coke off a key at a show at cbgbs, hanging with guys I considered heroes at a lower east side squat, wandering brooklyn holding hands with a chick one hundred levels out of my league, or simply getting a piece of pizza and a cold beer for subway tokens at four in the morning- it is undoubtedly the capital of the world and I do believe will one day be the capital off the universe. I also love the fact that I can walk around with my big nose, my high cheekbones, my blue eyes ,my skinny six three and swallow chest in a pair of boots and a mr. bubble tshirt and feel like everyone I see looks enough like me to be a relative. Short of berlin and belgrade no where else in the whole world do I feel like that....too bad I'm a red six, celtics and bruins fan.

I love ny.
    Berlin is trying too hard to be Brooklyn ;) I do envy their abundance of public space/trees/parks though. I keep saying that I want to move out of here but whenever I'm away it feels like the world is going on without me. F this place.

Red Sox fan though. Listen I don't give a crap about baseball but that wouldn't work out!