Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Toast R Ovens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Toast R Ovens?

So my trusty toast R oven died. I need a new one. Things have changed though, and now you can cook pies, and roast chickens in these things? One can still get a lil' toaster oven, and also a little big oven too. I think I could see myself using one for roasting veggies, and making oven fries and tater tots, in addition to toasting bread. I like the idea of using less energy for small jobs, but are these things worth the money and do they still work ok for toast? Any recommendations? Breville seems to be best?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Toast R Ovens?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    So my trusty toast R oven died. I need a new one. Things have changed though, and now you can cook pies, and roast chickens in these things? One can still get a lil' toaster oven, and also a little big oven too. I think I could see myself using one for roasting veggies, and making oven fries and tater tots, in addition to toasting bread. I like the idea of using less energy for small jobs, but are these things worth the money and do they still work ok for toast? Any recommendations? Breville seems to be best?
    I trust the reviews at thesweethome.com. Super in depth, lots of good info on pros/cons. YMMV. Here's their take on the best toaster oven. Again, YMMV :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breville, yes. we have the small one since we are not roasting chickens in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, will check these out. Panasonic looks cute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    Breville, yes. we have the small one since we are not roasting chickens in it.
    talk about modern. this thing is a far cry from the $40 General Electric I had in college.
    you can read the reviews. but let me tell you they all point to breville. the only hang up is price. these are not cheap.

the other reason - we remodeled the kitchen and there was no way we are putting a $hit looking appliance on the stone we paid $$$$ for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Breville. If you don't appreciate a quality toaster oven, sell your bikes and get a Varsity.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for the Breville. It really is a mini oven, and not so much a toaster oven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't eat meat so we don't need a big oven except for the occasional pizza or lasagna. I think we could do almost everything we make with one of those Brevilles and a Fagor portable induction burner and maybe one of those fancy Iwatani burners our chef neighbor uses for her wok when doing cooking demos. I'd like to have a kitchen that could almost completely disappear after the meal. We stayed in a house in Spain where the kitchen was basically a tile covered table. When you cooked, you pulled out burners like this, snap-fit connected them to the gas supply hose and cooked. Probably would violate at least 1000 building codes in the US though.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books