This isn't a commentary on airsoft, or replica guns, or anything like that. I know nothing about the sport and it was simply a coincidence that I came upon a retail store while I was sourcing some backgrounds for an advertising photo shoot.

I was in the north end of Toronto trying to find a plastics shop in an industrial park when I also came across a paintball & airsoft store called Badlands. I had some extra time, so I walked in. I used to play paintball with a simple, pump gun, but it's been years since I've been out playing or competing.

And I know absolutely nothing about airsoft, nor am I interested in it. I was, however, stunned at the incredible machining, construction quality and eerie replica, 1-to-1 scale of the guns used in that sport. I served with the UN as a documentary photographer in 3rd world countries 20 years ago, so I've been around the real thing (both US-made M16's and Russian AK-47's).

The fellow at the counter handed over replica M4's and HK417's for me to inspect. The craftsmanship was stunning, and the feel was solid and sturdy. Prices seem to be pretty low for such quality goods. They were made in Taiwan (not China) by a company called G&G, and the most expensive rifle they carried was $530.

I have no interest in playing or buying anything to do with airsoft. But credit is due to the quality of the manufacturing. I was quite surprised at how good this stuff is.