Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Northeast snow storm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Northeast snow storm

You north easterners are in for a good nor'easter, finally. Looks like everyone from northern NJ to southern Maine will get in on the deal. Blizzard watches for eastern New England. 12-24 inches.

You lucky dogs! I'm not being facetious, I miss snow storms.

I want pics when it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Northeast snow storm

You Boston peeps need to be prepared for the inevitable stories about 1978. Which was epic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember having to walk through the snow in 1978 (senior year in HS) to go to wrestling practice. The coach did not want us gaining weight, go figure. I do not miss blizzards....
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    I remember having to walk through the snow in 1978 (senior year in HS) to go to wrestling practice. The coach did not want us gaining weight, go figure. I do not miss blizzards....
    Was it uphill both ways?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Was it uphill both ways?
    Only one way, but the wrestling practice room was next to the school boiler. I hope everyone fairs well.

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it uphill both ways?
    Isn't it always?

Anyhoo. I was a heavyweight as a senior at 225 and never had to make weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Isn't it always?

Anyhoo. I was a heavyweight as a senior at 225 and never had to make weight.
    I hated people like you, as I had to suck weight from 145 to 128. How do you say bulemia.... The guy at 135 was the second ranked wrestler in New England, so I had no choice but to cut weight....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what name they'll come up with for this tempest. Named snow storms are hella lame, especially for people who grew up with much worse and they weren't named 'disasters' in the 1980s.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what name they'll come up with for this tempest. Named snow storms are hella lame, especially for people who grew up with much worse and they weren't named 'disasters' in the 1980s.
    Nemo, bro! Finding Nemo.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that time in '91 when we got 30 inches here in MPLS on Halloween and I was out driving around in my '69 Camaro taking the soon to be wife to a movie. No name. Nada. Didn't happen. Plows weren't even on the trucks yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    You Boston peeps need to be prepared for the inevitable stories about 1978. Which was epic.
    Today (and tomorrow) just so happens to be the anniversary of the Blizzard of '78. I lived on the north shore of Boston at the time of the storm and it was absolutely awesome! We haven't seen anything like that since:

Anyway, they updated the weather forecast today and it looks like we actually just might get snow. Yippee!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure that time in '91 when we got 30 inches here in MPLS on Halloween and I was out driving around in my '69 Camaro taking the soon to be wife to a movie. No name. Nada. Didn't happen. Plows weren't even on the trucks yet.
    I was there in Minneapolis for the same storm. Back from the European bike racing adventure and driving pizzas at Dominos in Edina. Didn't make it to work that day, but those who did made a killing. And the official number was more like 33 inches IIRC.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants View Post
    Today (and tomorrow) just so happens to be the anniversary of the Blizzard of '78. I lived on the north shore of Boston at the time of the storm and it was absolutely awesome! We haven't seen anything like that since:

Anyway, they updated the weather forecast today and it looks like we actually just might get snow. Yippee!!!!
    Just dusting to a Midwesterner. Might get the windshield brush out for that one. ;-)
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Blizzard of 78 was like a dream come true for me. I was a Junior in high school and barely made it home with in a friend's car (if we had left 10 minutes later, we wouldn't have made it). So everything becomes paralyzed with tons of people stranded in all sorts of places, but my family had snowmobiles, so I could go around wherever I liked. Rescued friends stuck at school, delivered nurses to work, and even rode up 95 all the way to the Mass border.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who poo-poo the media hype about weather now and say it was worse in the [insert decade], the history actually shows that it wasn't worse in that decade. In the northeast at least, the 80's were a particularly warm and boring string of winters. Feb '83 was the only big storm of that decade. The 90's weren't much better; there was the '93 storm, called the "storm of the century" back then, but there have since been a few storms equally as bad post-2000. The 70s were a very cold decade, with a few notable storms but not as active as the 2000s. People who grew up in the 70's often say the winters have become much warmer, when in fact their point of reference (the 70s) was unusually cold, not "normal". Since 2000, there have been more frequent and more severe snow storms in the northeast (especially the coastal cities) than in previous decades. Of course the reality isn't as bad as the media makes it out to be but there is a trend towards more severe nor'easters in the last 15 years.

This one looks good-- I'll bet someone in the northwest burbs of Boston or SW NH tops 30".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Realistically looks like 8-12"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blizzard of 78 was awesome.
    i worked at ems in boston and was stuck in the building for a week. we sold and rented every cross country ski the first day.
    it was the 2nd 30+" of snow in 10 days and there was really nowhere to plow the snow.
    my folks lived on the coast in scituate and i took a bunch of photos along the coast down there.
    1 landed in great storms in new england put out by the boston globe.
    it was a hell of a storm.
    hope its not anything like it although it was fun to look back on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was there in Minneapolis for the same storm. Back from the European bike racing adventure and driving pizzas at Dominos in Edina. Didn't make it to work that day, but those who did made a killing. And the official number was more like 33 inches IIRC.
    Ha! I was living in Plymouth and the wife was in Robbinsdale. My Cragar's didn't know the difference between 30 and 33 inches. It all sucked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants View Post

Boy does that picture bring back memories.

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    Boy does that picture bring back memories.
    I was living in California then, but just happened to be in Boston visiting my friends who all lived in Allston at that time. XC skiing up Comm Ave. Whole city dead in the water. 128 a parking lot. Couple of other big storms since then, but nothing like that. This weekend won't be anything like it, either.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast