Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dohicky for cleaning water bottles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dohicky for cleaning water bottles

I'm sure that there must be one out there, but does anyone make a thing that allows you to remove the rubber mouthpiece from a water bottle for actual cleaning? Specialized bottles in particular. I have tried a lot of different methods to pry them out gently. They get gross even when are just using them water. Sporty stuff just makes totally yuck. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dohicky for cleaning water bottles

I would say if you are not racing you have time to lose so you'd be better off with a non cycling specific stainless bottle that fit your cage and use a regular screw on cap. Easier to clean, less smell.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo de Acero View Post
    I'm sure that there must be one out there, but does anyone make a thing that allows you to remove the rubber mouthpiece from a water bottle for actual cleaning? Specialized bottles in particular. I have tried a lot of different methods to pry them out gently. They get gross even when are just using them water. Sporty stuff just makes totally yuck. Thank you.
    I just fill the bottle up with soap, put the top on and squeeze until all the soap is out. Then scrub everything I can get to and rinse thoroughly.

Rapha bottles are no easier, so I do those the same way. No illnesses yet that I know of.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also one of these in the appropriate size.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fill with warm soapy water. Shake. Use bottle brush. Squeeze out water. Repeat. I have bottles that are >10 years old. No illness doing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’re over thinking this. Wash, use and forget about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I just fill the bottle up with soap, put the top on and squeeze until all the soap is out. Then scrub everything I can get to and rinse thoroughly.

Rapha bottles are no easier, so I do those the same way. No illnesses yet that I know of.
    If you have the Rapha bottles made by Camelbak, the nipple can be dismantled for a thorough cleaning. (Are the new ones by Specialized?)

Anyway, your method ought to work for most bottles, most of the time. That's what I do most of the time.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Podium bottles come apart with not too much cussing. That said I put mine in the dishwasher without disassembly. Alternately, when camping I use garden variety denture cleaner....fill the bottle to the top with plain water add a tab of cleaner and install the top with the mouthpiece in the open position. Once the cleaning tablet begins to act the mouthpiece will get a nice dose of cleaner.

Glad you bring this up. During our transcontinentals we developed a routine using a well scrubbed hotel trash can + denture cleaner and all our bottles/tops and camelback mount pieces.

It's a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everyone for responses. I will look into the Podium bottles. The problem I am getting is with the rubber tip. I think the water here helps with easy scale build up. The bottle itself is not a problem to clean. It will build a layer of scale that needs to be scrubbed off around the outer screw on area. Inside the rubber tip is where it really builds up quickly. I use a Qtip with alcohol to go inside and swab it out. It works, but it be nice to have something rebuildable. I can see the simplicity of the stainless bottle setup also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everyone for responses. I will look into the Podium bottles. The problem I am getting is with the rubber tip. I think the water here helps with easy scale build up. The bottle itself is not a problem to clean. It will build a layer of scale that needs to be scrubbed off around the outer screw on area. Inside the rubber tip is where it really builds up quickly. I use a Qtip with alcohol to go inside and swab it out. It works, but it be nice to have something rebuildable. I can see the simplicity of the stainless bottle setup also.
    You might want to consider getting this set for your cleaning requirements.

I use them with my Camelbak bottles. The thin one makes cleaning the valve an easier task.

By the way, I think the Camelbak bottles actually do not alter the taste of water. I think water from the Specialized ones are gross despite their claim to the contrary. The only other bottle brand that I found to be good from this standpoint is Abloc. However, you may not be so keen on them since the valve is slightly trickier to clean with a brush. That said, you could always use Toot's method.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will build a layer of scale that needs to be scrubbed off around the outer screw on area.
    Have you tried white vinegar to descale it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use fabric cageless bottles for my road bikes and switched to some stainless elite with a cap for gravel & offroad and I just put them in the dishwasher. I haven't noticed them ending up gross.

I am surprsed not seeing more people mentionning the dishwasher.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool! Thanks for the tips! I will put these ideas to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I use fabric cageless bottles for my road bikes and switched to some stainless elite with a cap for gravel & offroad and I just put them in the dishwasher. I haven't noticed them ending up gross.

I am surprsed not seeing more people mentionning the dishwasher.

I use CamelBack Thermo and put them in the dishwasher.

Your earlier point about plastic use, the weight of steel ones, and recycling is important so I might go that way in the future but it is hrad to beat the Camleback Thermo for keeping liquids cool for (almost) the entire ride. Is this the steel one you suggested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is a bit different but Incan't see it in their website. I guess it has been replaced by the model you linked.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Podium bottles come apart with not too much cussing. That said I put mine in the dishwasher without disassembly. Alternately, when camping I use garden variety denture cleaner....fill the bottle to the top with plain water add a tab of cleaner and install the top with the mouthpiece in the open position. Once the cleaning tablet begins to act the mouthpiece will get a nice dose of cleaner.

Glad you bring this up. During our transcontinentals we developed a routine using a well scrubbed hotel trash can + denture cleaner and all our bottles/tops and camelback mount pieces.

It's a thing.
    if you have problems cleaning a thermos, yeti, or coffee carafe, tt has it nailed with the denture tabs. we buy in bulk at the dollar store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Three of four really good de-funking solutions have been mentioned.
    1. Hot water and bleach (dishwasher)
    2. Denture cleaning tablets
    3. White vinegar

And this one works great as a soak, too:
    4. Hydrogen peroxide

Rinse well. Yeah, the top of a Special__ed Purist bottle came off during a ride recently. I was alarmed at how slimy it was, despite regular trips through the dishwasher.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soap (Dawn), hot water and a soft bristle bottle brush after nearly every use and a full air dry keep my bottles non-funky.

And a full air dry can be a day or more to get those nooks and crannies. Shake them dry first. Moisture and funk are related. Keep them clean and dry. It’s not hard but means not ignoring them. We don’t ignore our other crucial cycling items do we? Shorts? Base layers? Gloves? Helmets? Socks?

We should also attend to our bottles.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your are using Specs Purist bottles, they tell you no brushing.

Saab, early surgeons never cleaned their operating coats,
    the layers of dried blood were a mark of experience.
    Some cyclists treat their gloves the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    If your are using Specs Purist bottles, they tell you no brushing.

Saab, early surgeons never cleaned their operating coats,
    the layers of dried blood were a mark of experience.
    Some cyclists treat their gloves the same way.
    I have a set of those and so far I just wash and rinse with soap and water. But the brush I have is a soft one and I struggle with the idea that they are so fragile. The brush I use is doesn’t have rigid bristles like a toilet brush.

People use those, right? Or is that also a mark of distinguished lack of housekeeping?
    La Cheeserie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast