Thread: My Frame #7

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Frame #7

Hi Everyone,

I've been snooping around here for a while now, so I figured it was time to contribute something. My name is Adam, I'm in college right now, spending most of my free time either riding bikes (skis now!) or building them. I like following other people's builds, so hopefully you like following mine.

I'm normally a mountain biker, but my school doesn't seem to be too into that. this frame is going to be a cyclocross bike that I will be racing this spring for the collegiate road season, and then in the fall for cyclocross. It should be fun.

Here's where I'm at so far:
    IMG_0451-1.jpg
    I'm going to do a fancy seat tube sleeve on this one. Should be fun.

IMG_0452-1.jpg
    I decided to do a full size drawing for this one, after realizing that my previous frames weren't exactly how I inteded for them to be. This is a lot more work that I thought it was, but should be helpful.

And here's a whole pile of parts that I spent all of my money on:
    IMG_0453.jpg

I'm also going to try to use a couple of heat treated tubes on this one. I have some true temper stuff on the way from Henry James, Hopefully that's not too hard to work with. And when it's done I plan on having this be my first frame to actually get "finished" so I think I'll have it powder coated. Exciting stuff.

I'm really looking forward to getting to work on this frame, and getting to ride on it. I'll keep this thread updated as stuff happens.
    -Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My Frame #7

Good luck Adam. Looking forward to seeing the process.
    Used to be a couple of guys from Bozeman hanging around here. They knew a bit about building bikes too.

Kirk Frameworks
    Strong Frames

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jayme!

Yeah, I've been lucky enough to meet up with both of those guys and I can tell you, they sure know whole a lot more than I do. I got some awesome advice though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I thought I would post some more stuff on here.
    I sort of took the last month off being home for the holidays and stuff. I've been doing a whole bunch of different stuff on this frame.
    The first was a full scale drawing, which took 4 trys to get right, but it has been very helpful so far.
    The next was starting on the rear triangle. I have my chainstays all ready to go. I think this should make the process flow better. On the past frames I have breezed through the front triangle and then gotten really slowed down on the rear. I think I'll still miter and braze the front first,but when I get to the rear I can keep on brazing. So that should be cool.

Here are some pictures:
    IMG_0457_zpsf259779a.jpg
    Non-drive side

IMG_0459_zpsbe992ee7.jpg
    Drive side

IMG_0462_zps552c5020.jpg
    I'm kind of curious what everyone might think of the clearances on here too. Is that enough for mud? I dimpled them some, but could probably go a little deeper. Also, it looks like the little chainring has about 2ish mm of clearance? is that OK? this is my first geared bike.

I'm going to try and miter up the TT and DT this afternoon, so maybe I'll get the front tacked up in the next few days. I'm also working on a pretty janky "Alignment table" that I will hopefully have some progress on soon.

-Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I couldn't figure out how to edit a post, but I thought I would add this incase anyone is interested. Its as much geometry as free bike cad will give you. But should tell you something about what I'm going for.
    crossbike_zps8d615d7b.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try using Rattlecad instead of BikeCad. I prefer it (but what do I know), it's free, and the guy who wrote it is very good at responding to requests.
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pruckelshaus View Post
    Try using Rattlecad instead of BikeCad. I prefer it (but what do I know), it's free, and the guy who wrote it is very good at responding to requests.
    Yes, you should try rattleCAD, you can also export the drawing to the CAD-program and get miter lengths from there.
    I made my basic desing with free BikeCad and then took the measurements from there and placed them to rattleCAD. For me it was easier to do that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RattleCAD definitely looks a lot better. Is there a Mac version though? I've looked into it before but only found a PC version. I've actually been putting the free bikeCAD stuff into google sketchup for miter lengths and angles. Next computer will be a PC...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    On a mac, you need to install ActiveTCL, which enables you to open .tcl apps.
    Then, considering you download the latest version, you simply need to open a Terminal and then copy/paste this: sh ~/Desktop/rattleCAD_3/3.3.04.14/rattleCAD.tcl
    RattleCAD will open.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by adarn View Post
    RattleCAD definitely looks a lot better. Is there a Mac version though? I've looked into it before but only found a PC version. I've actually been putting the free bikeCAD stuff into google sketchup for miter lengths and angles. Next computer will be a PC...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gruau View Post
    Hi,
    On a mac, you need to install ActiveTCL, which enables you to open .tcl apps.
    Then, considering you download the latest version, you simply need to open a Terminal and then copy/paste this: sh ~/Desktop/rattleCAD_3/3.3.04.14/rattleCAD.tcl
    RattleCAD will open.
    Jim
    Sweet!!! Thanks so much!! I'll get on that right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I've done a bad job on this thread.

I finished the frame though, and dropped it off at the powder coater today.
    I got to check this one on a surface plate, and it looks like everything is within a couple thousandths, so I'm pretty excited about that!
    More excited to get riding it though! more pics when it's all built up.

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hotness! I like it. Nice and simple, with a little flare on the bridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well done .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a disc rotor bridge? Cool! i have seen a disc used as a reinforcing brace at the dropout/disc brake mount, but that I haven't seen before.

Great work
    Toby Gallagher
    Toad Custom Cycles
    West Berkshire, UK
    Instagram - Twitter - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adarn, kudos for what you are doing. Huge props for building what you race, it does not get any better especially when the hard work results in a bike that works.
    I'm going to add you to the Telai-istas Framebuilders group.
    -J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Gallagher View Post
    Is that a disc rotor bridge? Cool! i have seen a disc used as a reinforcing brace at the dropout/disc brake mount, but that I haven't seen before.

Great work
    Yep, that is. I've used rotors for the SS bridge on a couple of frames now. It's a heck of a lot easier than mitering a tube and I've got loads of trashed ones just sitting in my garage. I figure this is a better use.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Adarn, kudos for what you are doing. Huge props for building what you race, it does not get any better especially when the hard work results in a bike that works.
    I'm going to add you to the Telai-istas Framebuilders group.
    -J
    Cool! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, its done! and i even got to ride it on dry roads today.
    I'm sure that this bike is best looking one that I have built, the finnish came out really nice and the I think the powdercoat looks great. It's hard to tell in the pics, but it's sparkly purple too. I dig it.

Anyway, It was like 50 degrees in Bozeman today, so just about as perfect as it gets for a January bike ride. The bike rides how I wanted it too, which is cool! I'm not a big fan of being super hunched over or drops, so I built it short, and that seems to have done the trick.

I also think I did a really good job of tube selection for this bike. It seems to be stiff in all the right places. I had virtually no noticeable flex in the chain stays or rear triangle, which is awesome, but still that good steeley feeling. "Laterally stiff, yet vertically compliant" you might say.

Anyhow, I'm very pleased with the end result. I can't wait to take it on some dirt!
    Oh, and those gears... they're not too bad either (this is my first geared bike in 4 years)

Yeah, so I learned a lot on this frame and came out with a sweet product. Couldn't be happier.

-Adam

IMG_0478.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet! Now get some bolts in those bottle bosses!
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And position the ft QR lever in a way that won't let it open if you brush up against something. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn that purple is tasty.

Beautiful ride man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast