Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can any one suggest a jeweler in the DC area

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can any one suggest a jeweler in the DC area

I'm looking to put a rock on the girl's finger and would like to hear from those of you who can suggest someone in the DC area. I'd prefer to find someone who operates independently and is not part of a chain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Can any one suggest a jeweler in the DC area

yer trusting this crew?! yikes!!! ahhhaa congrats and good luck!!!
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats man!

Took me a second, but I tracked it down:

Bensons at 1331 F St., NW

According to the site, family run since 1939. I had them repair a pair of metal-framed glasses for me a few years back.

I dealt with the present owner's son. Good guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a friend in the biz many years ago. His advice was never ever buy at a chain store. Lower quality at a higher price. Sorry, no conections in D>C>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MM-thanks for the good wishes. I went here because you all have good taste!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    Congrats man!

Bensons at 1331 F St., NW

I dealt with the present owner's son. Good guy.
    Thanks much. I'll check them out...looks like exactly what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    I had a friend in the biz many years ago. His advice was never ever buy at a chain store.
    Yup, thus my preference for an independent store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two suggestions. First is to do a little shopping Tiny Jewel Box. My dad scored amazing treats for mom and sisters there and I followed in hiis tracks. Neat place, old school employees who know their stuff and quite alot of antique jewelery. Queen's wedding ring is an rose gold art nouveau setting with an mine cut diamond (because I'm trained as a geologist). After you shop there call Continental Jewelery and talk to Jim or Carol. They used to have an long standing store in DC that closed several yrs. ago and now they serve olny old customers from a dingy back office located on a windowless hallway!!! Seriously, they will do you right. Great prices and business done on a handshake. If you need an intro. PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two cents I learned while doing what you are going to do. Is :

1) take her looking (not buying) at rings to find out what she likes. Even you know what she likes its good to do for the relationship to have her input. And buy the one she wants. It will not ruin the surprise trust me. See point #3

2) dont worried about the 4c's. If the ring is shiney, sparkley and afordable compared to the next one go with it. Diamonds rated by the europeans have wider standards the american ratings and are cheaper. Therefore, if you pick a big sparkley ring rated by the EU that is on the right side of its bell curve you can get more value. Do not allow yourself to be confused by the 4C's. Pick based on your feeling of beauty.

3) finally, like nesting before giving birth for women men instinctally need a time line to present the ring. Its a f'ing mating dance, protien packet that drosphila give etc. We are animals and mainly behave like them. Women talk and know this even though they roll their eyes about it. Well use it to your advantage. Tell your special someone you need to get the bonus or graduate or what ever and then surprise her before that milestone occurs. What this does is it allows you to have mature discusssions about the future while keeping the surprise.

It works I promise. You can have my IF if it doesnt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    The two cents I learned while doing what you are going to do. Is :

It works I promise. You can have my IF if it doesnt.
    I will always listen to the voice of experience, thanks for the input. Should it not work I'm sure your IF will make a nice bike for our future children at age 8 or so (we're both REALLY tall).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a guy in NYC if you feel like making the trip.
    Rents a corner counter in a place in Chinatown.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats, Matt! That's awesome news. If you don't mind making a trip to Annapolis, let me know. There's an independent store there you can trust and we know the owners personally for many years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late to the discussion, CONGRATS!

I have to ditto Too Tall's recommendation for Tiny Jewel Box in DC. That is where I go for special gifts. They have a ton of unique stuff, and a wide price range. I've never shopped for big rocks there though.

I can also recommend Solovey Jewelers in McLean, VA. They specialize in estate and antique jewelry; again, I've never shopped engagement rings there. We have been getting my wife's antique jewelry repaired and restored there. They do nice work.

Solovey Jewelers, Inc. - Renowed Selection of Antique and Estate Jewelry in Northern Virginia, Maryland and the Washington DC Metro Area!

Have you given some thought to the proposal? No pressure, but that is where the memories are made. Joosttx has some great thoughts there on the timeline, but the details are how you demonstrate that you know her and love her. The story will be repeated for years and years. I proposed to my wife on Friday the 13th, in deserted downtown Charleston SC, in a fancy restaurant with no power, during a hurricane. If you knew my wife, you'd know that I nailed it.