Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency saw to keep in car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Emergency saw to keep in car?

Late Monday night, for the fourth time in around 15 years, the road into my subdivision was blocked by a downed tree. Unfortunately it was around 2:30 AM and there wasn't much traffic at all. Luckily a newspaper delivery guy was trying to get in too, and so he was able to use his cell phone (I don't have one) to call the cops. It wasn't clear that they would be willing or able to help, since our roads are "private" and not maintained by St Louis County. Happily, although the LEO who came out did not have any sort of cutting tools, he did get the fire dept (from a station about 5 miles away) to come out with their "brush truck", and they did have a chainsaw. It's a good thing they were able to help, because it would have been a long, hilly walk for me to get home.

This time even a relatively wimpy bow saw would have been enough for me to cut a hole through on the right side of the road. I'd guess that the largest limbs I would have had to remove to make a space large enough for the Subie would have been 2"-3"

For incident (3) a few months ago the limbs weren't too big either, but I was within easy walking distance of home, so I just went home, got a saw and came back to clear things up.

Incidents 1 and 2 were very large trees, and even with a good sized chain saw it took a while to clear them up. Luckily the bulk of the work on those was done by (1) the property owner from where the tree came (I went over and knocked on the door to tell them about it) and (2) by someone else who was trying to leave as I was driving in, so he was able to drive home to get a chain saw.

Bottom line, I know this won't help in all potential emergencies, but I'm thinking of getting a saw to keep in the car. I don't want to keep a chain saw in there, too many potential issues with the gas. I think even though a good battery-powered reciprocating saw with a long blade could do the trick, I don't think the hot summer days in a closed car would be good for the battery.

So, anyone care to suggest a saw that could cut, say, up to a few 4" limbs without totally wrecking my arms? 6" would be nice, but I think several 6" hardwood limbs might be asking too much.

I've done a bit a research and so far the Silky Bigboy 2000 looks like a good option. Any other ideas?

(BTW, that afternoon I stopped by the nearest pizza place and ordered 5 large pies to be delivered at 7:30 PM that night to the Fire House. I wrote a note that I hope the pizza guys included, saying "Thanks for clearing XXX Road early this morning... etc")

BIGBOY 2 Extra Large Teeth | Silky Saws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Emergency saw to keep in car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Silky is a great option. It's what a number of us use for maintenance work on the local mountain bike trails. Makes quick work of some good sized downed limbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh I think I have a new fantasy.

Silky KATANABOY, 5mm ( XL Teeth ) | Silky Saws

Cue John Belushi impression.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just occurred to me that in this case an out-of-the-box solution could be a 12V car battery powered chainsaw.

I very much doubt that something like that exists, but if it did, other than the hassle of dealing with a cord, it would tick just about all the boxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

Ha!

That is a monster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t carry a saw (yet) but I made sure that my spare tire was always inflated and ready when I was doing my weekly driving commute from western MI to Chicago and I had a serious pair of work gloves and a woolen hat in that wheel well in case of an issue at 3 AM, something that wasn’t out of the question at all.

Get the basics right first but a folding saw that fits in the wheel well is probably not a bad idea. Does everyone know their spare is properly inflated and your jack works and you know how to use it? That’s basic breakdown 101. Throw some work gloves in there too.

The saw is next level. But definitely a good idea.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agawa Canyon Boreal21

Product Line – Agawa Canyon Inc.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    I looked into that one (I found a recommendation for it on the ADV forum in a "Camping Saw" thread) and considered getting one, but all the sites that had one at what I considered a reasonable price were out.

It is on my radar, and might still make the final cut (to quote one of my favorite Pink Floyd album titles).

I think having one "open" and one "closed" saw (I think that's what they're called) might be a good idea. The thing is, there are plenty of super-cheap bow saws out there. (I have one in the garage and it's held up well over the years) Obviously a folder is better for any on-the-move application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking further outside the box, and thinking of small packing space: maybe a hand chain saw?
    Last edited by Rhys; 05-28-2020 at 12:09 AM. Reason: formatting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

I've had that going on 5 (?) years. Yah wun beh sorry. Wicked sharp. Cuts on the pull.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 05-28-2020 at 04:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say forget it-even a 21" or 30" bow saw will take you a forever-while to cut through even smaller trees. If you check out my blog in my signature, you'll see I do a lot of trail maintenance, and I have a variety of hand saws, and a chainsaw.

Bow saws and pruning saws to limb a tree-okay sorta. Remove a tree-no. You'll be there forever.

You're better off keeping a real chainsaw at home and hoofing it home to fetch it when needed. Or just keep buying those pizzas; it'll be cheaper.

An alternative might be to carry a comealong and straps instead. Just pull the tree aside enough to pass a car.

I have a Lug-All 3/4 ton comealong. An 8' web strap goes around the anchor point, and a 20' strap wraps around the fallen tree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I hate when that happens, unless i'm on a bike, and then i know for sure i have the road to myself:)

Seriously though, those hand saws, as mentioned, are generally for limbs, not really trees. it cant hurt to get one and keep in in the car, but realistically, there is not too many real-world scenarios where it will be effective clearing a road.

Another note of caution: if a tree falls along a road in relative civilization - there is better than decent chance it took down some power lines, and if it's the middle of the night, dark and damp out, you want to be pretty sure you're not going to get zapped before you even open the car door to assess the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, I hear yah. For ease of packing and getting-it-done the Katanaboy is a mutha. Check this video and skip to 5:40. Last weekend I cleared a trail that had a 20" dead fall in about 5 mins.
    It is NO substitute and that's the point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was driving south on the Taconic and found an Oak tree across the road and a Prius lodged in the branches. Attempting to stop traffic was difficult, to say the least. Now I carry flares and a reflective triangle.

If you carry a saw, don't even think of cutting a tree that is hanging on power lines.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Silky Big Boy and a Katana Boy - and a Pocket Boy and a Zubat - I use them all on the property. The Katana Boy is an amazing saw. I've cut a 12" diameter tree with it though it is suggested that 10" is the max. I am sure you can do larger. But the one I use the most is the Big Boy. Less unwieldy. I'd recommend that one for the car.

I'd also add a small axe like the Fiskars X7 or X10 and a couple wedges. Difference is length. If you are out sawing a fallen tree in the dark, you are likely to get your saw stuck too, just because you may not be able to judge where the tension is in the tree. Axe and wedge may be helpful. Heck, an axe is always useful. Keep it sharp with a Lansky puck.

Remember you also have a jack in your car. That could be helpful too.

But I'd agree with Peter - if you come around the corner and find a tree like the one in Angry's photo, you might be there a while even if someone has a chainsaw.
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-28-2020 at 08:57 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by guido; 05-28-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn, thanks for the axe and felling wedge suggestions - I'll add them to my list for the "tree clearing emergency pack" in the car.

Of course the primary purpose of this entire project is to ensure that for the next five years or so during which I plan on being in this house, not once more will the road be obstructed by a tree. Maybe power lines, or another car on fire (don't laugh, both have happened) but no more trees...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking way outside the box, may I suggest a Brompton (with lights) in addition to your saw of choice? That way, if the tree is too big to cut through or haul aside, you can ride up to your house rather than having to walk. Having a bike in the trunk will come in handier than you might think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast